Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using the site: A tutorial for newbies

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There should be a icon in the top left corner of any of the specific Forums you're looking at.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Blog Entries

How to register at the forums

How to register at the Literature Network Forums

This is a step by step guide for everyone who has difficulty registering at the forum. If you have a problem with a specific step of the registration, use this quick overview to find the step you need in this guide.

1. The first step to registering
    2. The forum rules
    3. Filling in your information
    4. Checking your email
    5. Activating your account
    6. Login in for the first time
    7. Other guides
    8. Troubleshooting (basic help if you can’t see any images)

1. The first step

In the illustration below, there are to encircled links. Either link will take you to the registration, and you only need to click on one!

2. The Forum rules!

Make sure you read the forum rules, as they appear on the page (see image blow). You can scroll down by using the bar on the right of the text box.

After you have read the rules, click the little box encircled and number 2 on the image. Finally, press

3. Filling in your information

This is the biggest and most important step! Pay close attention. Each step is numbered in the image and corresponds as follows: 1 is 3.1 in the text. Etc.

You should see a screen that looks like the above, save for the red markings. On this page, you fill out all your personal information.

3.1 At the red number 1 you type in your username. Think carefully about this, as you will be stuck with it for the rest of your stay at the Lit-net.

3.2 The red number 2 is where you enter your password! Choose something you can remember, but is not too easy, a good passwords uses both letters and numbers. This is case sensitive you have to fill in your password twice. You will not see the password; instead you will see black dots. This is normal, and is done to protect your privacy.

3.3 Remember to give a VALID email address at number 3, since you will need it later to confirm your registration. Do not worry about unwanted junk mail; you won’t get any from the Literature Network!

3.4 This is a tricky bit, you have to match the letters and digits in the image to your right and enter them in the box. There are a few things that can go wrong here.
    You may not be able to clearly discern the letters and digits in the image. The solution is to press the ‘refresh image’ link below the image until you get one that you can read.
    You may not see an image at all, or a Red X. If this is the case, you should also not see any pictures in this guide! To check if your browser is set to not allow images, please see below in the troubleshooting section
    3.5 This is entirely optional, and apart from the referrer, can always be changed at a later date.
    3.6 This is the button you press when all is completed. Don’t press it just yet though.

Once you have filled out this information, it should look something like this:

I’ve given myself the username Bobtheturnip, but you of course, should stick to your own choice of username. Note how the verification image matches with the text I’ve entered. Check if everything is correct. If you are sure everything is correct, press near the bottom.

If you encounter troubles after pressing the button, there might be one of the following problems:
    - Your username already exists; the only option is to change your desired username.
    - You might have made an error in the password. Try to type it again to see if it helps
    - You have not correctly entered the letters and digits that were in the image.

Check if everything is now correct, you will always need to re-enter your password and verify the image, no matter what problem you encounter.

After you clicked , and all goes well, you are taken to a page with the following message:

The circled email address is the address you filled in, and where the email message has been send.
    You can now either opt to click the link in the message, keep it open, or close the current page.

Now, to the next step.

4. Checking your email

You should check your email inbox to see an email from ‘The Literature Network Forums’with the following heading:
    Action Required to Activate Membership for Literature Network Forums
    Please note that it could take a while for this email to arrive, if you still didn't get it after a few minutes, check your junk mail folder, as it might be classified as junk email by the program you are using. If you don’t find it there, something might have gone wrong, perhaps you entered the address incorrectly.

The email should contain the following text:

Dear bobtheturnip,

Thank you for registering at the Literature Network Forums. Before we can activate your account one last step must be taken to complete your registration.

Please note - you must complete this last step to become a registered member. You will only need to visit this url once to activate your account.

To complete your registration, please visit this url:
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...703&i=97042917

<a href="http://www.online-literature.com/forums/register.php?a=act&u=37703&i=97042917">America Online Users Please Visit Here to be Activated</a>

**** Does The Above URL Not Work? ****
    If the above url does not work, please use your Web browser to go to:
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...ster.php?a=ver

Please be sure not to add extra spaces. You will need to type in your username and activation number on the page that appears when you visit the url.

Your Username is: bobtheturnip
    Your Activation ID is: 97042917

If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at [email protected]

All the best,
    Literature Network Forums
    5. Activating your account

5a) As you can read in the mail, the standard way is to complete registration is to click the first link in the mail. If you are an AOL user, you should click the second link.
    This should take you to a page with the following message:

5b) If this does not work you can manually activate your account by copying the last url into your web browser. This is done by selecting it, and copy it by pressing ctrl + C together. Now open your web browser, click in the bar near the top, and press ctrl + V together. Now the url should be visible in the bar, and you can press enter to go the site.

You should now see a page with 2 empty textboxes:

In these boxes you can enter the information in the Email, in my case, this would be the following:
    Your Username is: bobtheturnip
    Your Activation ID is: 97042917
    Make sure you copy the information exactly and press . If done correctly, you are taken the same message as in 5a.

If everything is done correctly, you will also get a second email to inform you of your successful registration.

Congratulations, you are now a member of the Lit-net Community. You can now log in using your username and passport and take part in the discussions.

6. Login in
    This is the last step you need to take before you can take part in the forum.

On the top right of the main forum page, you will find these two fields

Ticking the circled red box allows you to automatically log in everytime you visit the forum. You should nevercheck this box when you are on a public computer, or a computer to which multiple people have access. If you do, anyone who uses this computer will be able to post on the forum using your account, and possibly cause lots of problems on the site. It is okay to do this on your own private computer.

Here’s how it should look if you are ready to log in. Note that again, the password is displayed as *, to prevent anyone from seeing it.

All that’s left to do is press and you’re ready to go make your first post.

7. Other guides

To find out how to post messages or start threads, click >here<
    The link will take you to a thread with information on how to post messages, as well as other guides, including this one.

Of course, you can also go to the FAQ (or frequently asked questions), where you can find links to all this information and more. Click here for the FAQ

8. Troubleshooting

8.1 No images
    If you don’t see images when surfing the internet, it is possible your browser has disabled this option. In order to have images appear, you should adjust your browser options.

8.1a) If you are using firefox, do the following: go to extra in the top menu bar, and select options, you should see a screen similar to the one below.
    Now press the ‘content’ button near the top. It is circled in the image. This should bring you to a screen with several options. One of these options has an arrow pointing at it in the picture, this is the one that needs to be checked. If it isn’t, check it, and you should be able to see the image next time you try to register. If it is checked, and you still cannot see the image, there might be something else that is wrong with your browser. Go to theFirefox official help site for further assistance, or if you have other questions regarding the use of your browser.

8.1b) Internet Explorer
    Depending on which version of IE you have, this is done a little differently

- Version 6:
    On the menu bar, select tools then internet options
    When in the menu, click on the advanced tab.
    Under settings: multimedia check the box that says show pictures

- For version 7
    Click on extra in the top right corner, just below the search bar. Next click oninternet options

You should now be in a menu. There you can click the advanced tab.
    In the Settings scroll down until you see multi-media
    There should be line that says display images make sure this is turned on.

If you are still unable to see the image, something else might be wrong with your browser Microsoft support

The problem could also be with something else on the computer, unfortunately, it is impossible to cover all posibilities in this little guide.

This is the end of the guide
    There is no darkness, there is no light, there is only Lasagne!

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Just thought Id bump this thread with another useful hint. It took me nearly 2 and a half years to realise this button exsisted though it had been starting me in the face the whole time but got to sya it has made my life loads easier so remember the New Posts button

My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    How to report a post:

Click on the "Report Post" icon next to the post, under the user's name and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please note that this is specifically for spam and problematic posts that contain harassment or inflammatory comments.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Sheffield, South Yorks, England. Tha knows.
    Blog Entries
    I wish all this had been available when I first joined the site. It is all incredibly useful. There just seems to be one piece of information that you haven't yet mentioned: Whatever you do, do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, EVER upset Scheherazade!! It is more than your life is worth!! Furthermore, she is an all-round good bunny who keeps us in order, and if you upset her, not only will we all hate you for ever more, she will have you for breakfast - poached, on toast, with marmalade!! Remember - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
    Dafydd Manton, A Legend In His Own Lunchtime!! www.dafydd-manton.co.uk

My Work Has Been Spread Over Many Fields!

Quote Originally Posted by dafydd manton View Post
    she will have you for breakfast - poached, on toast, with marmalade!!
    I prefer them grilled actually... Or roasted.
    ~
    ~

Time Travelling Sanguivor Technophile's Avatar
    Since this is a useful thread, shouldn't it be stickied so that members don't have to bump it the whole time?
    Do not underestimate the Power of Autism. www.aspiesoftheworld.com Avatar provided by big-bomb.com via Google Image Search.

Quote Originally Posted by Technophile View Post
    Since this is a useful thread, shouldn't it be stickied so that members don't have to bump it the whole time?
    Thank you very much for your kind suggestion.

However, this thread has been a sticky since the day it was started.
    ~
    ~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade View Post
    I prefer them grilled actually... Or roasted.
    Me too, with an egg or two on top, preferably runny

Very useful, thanks for all the tutorials
    Le dieci P della saguezza: Prima Pensa Poi Parla Perchè Parole Poco Pensate Portano Pena

Personally, I have lost so many replies and original posts due to IT idiosyncrasies (like hitting the [ESC] key) that I don't type directly into a text box any more. Well, I do if it's just 3 lines or less. Instead I use a text editor like NotePad which can SAVE text to a file and then COPY / PASTE. Slightly more work, but tremendously less grief.
    Last edited by RJJennings; 07-02-2015 at 06:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12