Thread: Edna Ferber

Lady Reader

Edna Ferber

Hi All, I was Wondering if anyone else has heard of author Edna Ferber? She wrote American Beauty and Show Boat & others.
    -Sharita

Blog Entries
    Hi there, and welcome to litnet, fellow fan of Christie. I have heard of Ferber yes, but I confess I haven't read anything of hers in years (long time ago! )

Were you looking to discuss any work by Ferber in particular? If you ever want to discuss Christie, be sure to let me know...
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Lady Reader
    I was just wondering why she wasn't on the subforum if we talk about all literature? I thought she would be among authors of discussion.
    -Sharita

Blog Entries
    This post might answer that question. Ferber's works must not be in the public domain.

http://www.online-literature.com/for...ad.php?t=17769

How do I find out whether the book is in the public domain?
    The rules vary from country to country. In just about every country, authors can put a work in the public domain by formally declaring that they are doing so. But most books enter the public domain either because they are not copyrightable (e.g. certain government documents), or because their copyrights expire.

Below, I give my best understanding of when copyright expires in various countries, but keep in mind that I am not a lawyer, and should not be relied on for legal advice.

In the United States, the following rules apply:

* Anything copyrighted prior to 1923 is in the public domain. (Practically speaking, this includes anything published prior to 1923, since publication without copyright put the work straight into the public domain. But note this possible exception in some western states for some 1909-1922 foreign works that were not published in the US before 1923.) Due to a 20-year copyright extension enacted in the US in 1998, copyrights from 1923 or later that are still in force will stay in effect through 2018 or longer.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Lady Reader
    It was very helpful thanks!
    -Sharita