Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hundred Years War

Hundred Years War

Does anyone know of any good literature set around the Hundred Years War; like "War and Peace" was set around the Napolionic Wars and "A Tale of Two Cities" revolved around the French Revolution.
    Last edited by metal134; 03-13-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Shakespeare's histories...

I'm looking for something more in the way of a novel.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    "Sir Nigel" & "The White Company" by Conan Doyle

"Hawkwood" F. S. Saunders ? Actually, I think I've read a novel with Sir John Hawkwood as its central character by someone else, but I can't remember who.

Mark Twain's life of Joan of Arc.

"In a Dark Wood Wandering" - Hella Haasse - an absolutely stunning book, much better than "War & Peace" or "Tale of Two Cities."
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Cool, I'll check those out! Thanks!

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc is on the site too

http://www.online-literature.com/twa...s-joan-of-arc/
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Sweet. I just ordered "In a Dark Wood Wandering" from Amazon (along with Absalom! Absolom ( I couldn't resist)) and as soon as I finish with "The Phantom of the Opera", I'll check out Twain's book on the site. Thanks guys, you've been a big help!

Blog Entries
    There is also "The Archer's Tale" by Bernard Cornwell. You could do a search to see if that would be in your interests.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Ace of Spades
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws View Post
    There is also "The Archer's Tale" by Bernard Cornwell. You could do a search to see if that would be in your interests.
    Hated this book, ridiculous premise IIRC and one of the poorest hackneyed books output by a usually good Cornwell. Is this the one that is like Indiana Jones meets King Arthur meets Robin Hood in a quest for the holy grail thingymajigger set during the One Hundred Years War?

Blog Entries
    LoL, yes...that be the one.
    Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty
    ~Albert Einstein

Ace of Spades
    LoL, yes...that be the one.
    Yep, the hero and the main baddie were so... ahem... original... for an historical adventure tale. This fact actually left me absolutely astonished and perplexed.

very biased

I'm troubled by this period. I think it was absolute aggression by the English, who wanted to get the throne of a foreign country which they didn't have anything but the most tenuous claim to (by marriage).

The little I have seen of literature set in this period is biased. It tends to be romaticized in works written in the English language, but in reality Edward III invented Chevauchee, which basically meant deliberately massacring peasants or making them starve.

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    "I'm troubled by this period. I think it was absolute aggression by the English, who wanted to get the throne of a foreign country which they didn't have anything but the most tenuous claim to (by marriage)."

Where did Edward III's family come from?
    Oh yes, they were from Normandy & Anjou.

How did they get the throne of England?
    Oh, what a surprise - absolute aggression to get the throne of a foreign country to which they did not even have the tenuous claim of marriage.

And they retained provinces in what is now France, that they had ruled before they became kings of England, or which they acquired by marriage later.

On the other side of France, the Dukes of Burgundy were doing what they could to increase their own power and domains in any way that was expedient.

In effect, the 100 Years' War could be seen as a French baronial war, that continued more or less up to the war of the Fronde - after which the country was sufficiently unified to embark on its own wars of absolute aggression against its neighbours.

Being troubled by the deeds of long dead ancestors is pretty pointless.

Please note, however, the lack of bias in the choice of books that I recommended above: the Conan Doyle books are patriotic English, based loosely on on the writings of Froissart, a Valenciennois; Mark Twain is an American (and they all hate the English) writing a book with Joan of Arc as its heroine; and Hella Haasse is Netherlander.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm, that Hella Haasse book sounds quite promising... a toast to you, Whifflingpin. I shall start my quest to find that book in my corner of the world ...

Mark Twain is an American (and they all hate the English)
    LoL, this is not necessarily true, methinks there is some tongue-in-cheek here...
    ~Albert Einstein

Hmmmm, that Hella Haasse book sounds quite promising... a toast to you, Whifflingpin. I shall start my quest to find that book in my corner of the world ...
    I found a copy in very good condition on Amazon Market place for, like, $3! There where many copies around that price. I don't know if they ship to Canada, but I don't see why not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast