Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jane Austen - why the fuss?

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Jane Austen - why the fuss?

By Denise Winterman
    BBC News Magazine

With newspapers giving away her novels, Pride and Prejudice being voted the nation's top book and a new biopic in the cinemas, Jane Austen is riding the crest of a revival. But for those who've never picked up one of her books, what's the big deal?
    For many women Jane Austen's appeal is encapsulated in two words: Mr Darcy.

It might not have been faithful to the book, but when Colin Firth, as Fitzwilliam Darcy, strode out of a lake in a wet shirt and breeches, in the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, you could hear half the population applauding artistic licence.

After that now infamous scene, women across the land - single or not - said goodbye to waiting for their Prince Charming to come along and sweep them off their feet. They wanted a Mr Darcy.

It seems we just can't get enough of Austen. On Friday a film about her life - Becoming Jane - opens nationwide. Four adaptations of her novels are due on ITV this year alone and the man who gave us "that" Darcy moment - writer Andrew Davies - is adapting Sense and Sensibility for the BBC.

Last week Pride and Prejudice topped a poll of the books "we cannot live without" and Penguin is preparing to re-issue all of Austen's novels to meet the predicted rush for copies after Becoming Jane's release.

But not everyone is a fully conscripted member of her fan club. Indeed, Austen has a habit of dividing opinion, often down gender-specific lines. So what is it about Austen?

'Claustrophobic'

Her creation of characters, the clever dialogue and the irony with which she writes that makes her stand out from other writers, say experts.

"They are easy to read and have a simplicity that is hard to get as a writer, which Austen worked hard to achieve," says Professor Janet Todd, the general editor of the nine-volume Cambridge edition of the Works of Jane Austen.

"But it's a surface simplicity, there is a lot more going on. It combines wish fulfilment with a sense of the unlikelihood of it happening. There is always a modification to the romantic ending which points us back to real life."

Making her novel work on different levels means people can take what they need from them, say critics. You can choose to see the politics and feminism in them, but if you don't want to take on those issue you can "turn a blind eye".

Yet it's not all one big love-in. They might be in the minority, but Austen has her detractors. And despite the stereotypes, they're not all men.

"I think she betrays her time and I'm always gob smacked by what she ignored," says Celia Brayfield, author and lecturer at Brunel University. "She focused on such a narrow strain of human reality. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Napoleonic War going on at the time when she was writing, she doesn't mention it.

'Enemy territory'

"There is no poverty in her novels, no corruption, ambition, wickedness or war. Yes her wit is enchanting and her human observations enduringly accurate, but the world she writes about is so tiny. I find it claustrophobic."

It's all too graceful and lacks guts, says writer Zoe Williams, who prefers those other 19th Century romantic writers - the Bronte sisters.

"I'm not crazy for Austen. The Brontes' novels are so overheated, so female, you have to look them in the eye when you read them.

"Austen's popular because everyone likes a good costume drama and with Austen you know what you're getting. You're guaranteed a manor house, daughters, dresses and weddings. You're not with authors like Gaskell and Dickens, their stories are not so pretty."

AUSTEN FACTS

Born in 1775 in Hampshire
    Died in 1817
    Sense and Sensibility was her first novel and published in 1811 at her own expense
    Pride and Prejudice published in 1813

Too "nice" or not, the characterisation and dialogue of her novels have made them ripe for TV and film adaptation. According to some it's talented film makers, casting directors and actors who are keeping Austen's stock so high.

"In recent years the one person who has done the most for Austen's popularity is Emma Thompson," says Williams. "She wrote the screen play for the film Sense and Sensibility and won an Oscar for it. It is the definitive Austen film and that's largely down to her."

She may have a point: when we think of Darcy do we envisage the novel or Colin Firth? If he hadn't been cast to play the part - and he very nearly turned it down because he didn't think he had the sex appeal the role required - would the book be topping the "nation's favourite" list?

Some purists argue that by "sexing up" Austen's novels for a modern audience has resulted in the more complex social and political commentary being lost. But is the hunt for ratings necessarily a bad thing?

Unsophisticated

"Those films have made Jane Austen into a brand," says Brayfield. "I hate them with a passion but you have to admit they do a great job of selling 19th Century literature.

"Often my students are only inspired to grapple with Austen after seeing a film of one of her novels with Keira Knightley in it, but at least it's a way in for them."

Knightley might also draw in another audience that has issues with Austen - men. It's by no means a rule, but they don't usually find period drama an appealing combination of words. While Austen's wit and irony might appeal, the romance usually does not.

There's always the exception of course - and, on paper at least, Phil Hilton, ex-editor of lads' magazine Nuts, couldn't be more distanced from the stereotypical Austen fan. But Hilton freely confesses his love of her work and says Austen has a false reputation simply as "posh, romantic fiction".

"She is fun, dry, ironic - as funny as any male writer out there," he says.

"She is about more than romance, that's just the engine that drives the plot along. Unfortunately when adapted for film and TV the good stuff often ends up on the cutting room floor in favour of a handsome actor walking out of a lake.

"The challenge is to get men to read one of her books, most would like it if they did. I was forced to read Austen at school and discovered her that way, but males usually considered her novels 'owned' by women and enemy territory."

Critics tend to see this "romantic image" as a failing of the ironic Austen, says Professor Todd. But saying her books are just about women and marriage is a very "unsophisticated reading" of her novels, says Williams.

Maybe Austen was simply very shrewd in her choice of subject, says Gill Hornby, author of Jane Austen: The Girl with the Magic Pen.

"Her novels are only about romantic love and family life and they are two of the few things that haven't change in the world since she was alive. Both things still absorb us and annoy us in equal measure. If she'd written about the Napoleonic Wars no one would have read her books."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6426195.stm
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    "There is no poverty in her novels, no corruption, ambition, wickedness or war. Yes her wit is enchanting and her human observations enduringly accurate, but the world she writes about is so tiny. I find it claustrophobic."

It's all too graceful and lacks guts, says writer Zoe Williams........"Austen's popular because everyone likes a good costume drama and with Austen you know what you're getting. You're guaranteed a manor house, daughters, dresses and weddings. You're not with authors like Gaskell and Dickens, their stories are not so pretty."
    Hear, Hear
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought I was the only one who took notice to the Mr. Darcy and the wet shirt scene

Her critics are kind of silly in a way: An author is definitely influenced by the happenings around them, but I don't think that means they have to write about or mention them.

But there is definitely a popularity for her books now. I don't care how people get turned toward reading them...if they see the movie first and want to read the book...who's to get upset? As long as they are reading...

But I have noticed that there are a lot more "continuations" of Pride and Prejudice, books that go on to further the story on Lizzy and Darcy's marriage...I don't know if I'd want to read one of those.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Austen 'too ugly' for book cover

Novelist Jane Austen has been given a makeover for the cover of a book about her life after publishers decided an original image of her was unattractive. "She was not much of a looker," said Helen Trayler, managing director of publisher Wordsworth Editions.

Publishers traditionally use a portrait of Austen painted by her sister but Wordsworth have added make-up, hair extensions and removed her night-cap.

The book is a new edition of a memoir by Austen's nephew.

"I know you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover. Sadly people do. If you look more attractive, you just stand out more," said Ms Trayler.

The original painting by Cassandra Austen, which hangs in the National Portrait Gallery in London, is thought by some scholars to be the only authentic portrait of the celebrated author.

The oil painting, known as the Rice Portrait of Jane Austen after a former owner, Henry Rice, has been the subject of debate after some scholars said it was not authentic.

The painting by Ozias Humphry first came to prominence in 1884 when it appeared on the front of a first edition of Jane Austen's letters collection.

Some scholars have argued that the costume Austen is wearing in the picture dates to about 1805, making her about 30 when it was painted - earlier experts thought the painting dated to 1788 to 1879, making Austen about 14.

This has led to doubts about the portrait in some quarters, although a number of academics in recent years have supported the original attribution, as does auction house Christie's.

Jane Austen's novels include Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma and Mansfield Park.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6484281.stm
    ~
    ~

Lady Reader
    The book contents is the only thing that matters to me. I really don't see the big deal about changing Jane Austen's cover.
    -Sharita

I agree with most objections pointed out by detractors. I must have 'Sense and Sensibility' read by the end of the month, and, quite honestly, I don't know if I will ever make it.

Not saying that she doesn't write well, no, by no means. I just don't find the "o when will I find my happy prince" premisse engaging enough. Not a tenth as engaging as Wuthering Heights' tempestuous little world.

About the cover: wow, they went all "extreme makeover" on her! That should be illegal! I think that those who do want to read English 19th century classics won't (better say shouldn't) be hindered from their purpose by a mere face. Readers should know better, and only judge the book by its cover in terms of the title.

You can look back on Austen's critical heritage and find these very same arguments and detractions have been going on for more than 150 years and her reputation, both academic and popular has not diminished, in fact it's grown exponentially. Says it all really.
    Last edited by Blackjack Davy; 04-06-2007 at 07:24 PM.

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    fascinating article. But I do agree with Phil Hilton in that she is fun, dry, and ironic. It especially shows, for instance, in the arguing scene with Lady Catherine. I absolutely adore that part!
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

Why the Fuss

Jane Austen - why the fuss?
    There are many answers to the question. A particular one, is an early retrospective of a critic about 40 years after Austen's death. George Henry Lewes was a man of numerous talents and interests, (physiology, psychology and botany, for example, as well as literature) with a wide reputation as a journalist, critic and scientist.' He was also George Eliot's husband and literary advisor. In the fifties to late-seventies George Eliot's influence on her contemporaries was prodigious and it is probable that he influenced her reading of Austen. In a 1847 essay he states that what he values in fiction is 'truth in delineation of life and character ... a correct representation of life.' He states that Fielding and Jane Austen are 'the greatest novelist in our language.' In judging character by the standard of psychological realism he compares 'her marvelous dramatic power' to Shakespeare's.' In another essay he refers to Jane Austen, as 'Shakespeare's younger sister'.
    Let me finish with an analogy. A dog is taken into a flower garden. The woman admires the roses, the various shades of red, a red that's almost black, the velvety reds, the soft blush of pink. Her eyes move to the yellows, then lingers on the pure whites, the petals tinged with pink, with scarlet, with the softest yellow. She is ecstatic. The dog looks at her and thinks – why the fuss?
    Dogs are color blind.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hum, grrr.. i don't like Jane Austen...
    yep, she's a good writer and all that.. but all her irony and subtlety are wasted on boring plots...
    i mean aren't all her books essentially about the same thing?
    "Should I marry Mr A. or Mr B? Mr A. is such a jolly fellow and Mr B. is so grumpy. But Mr B. is soooo much richer. Oops Mr, A. was a wicked crook after all, so I'll marry Mr. B"

seriously, when I read Emma, I knew after half a page what the ending would be.

i try to view her novels as historical documents of her time, when most middle class women had nothing better to do than paint, draw and marry....
    but even at that time there must have been some independent women who did more interesting things... Funnily enought it's the male authors of the same period (and the Brontes) who created the most interesting female characters

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    Funnily enought it's the male authors of the same period (and the Brontes) who created the most interesting female characters
    Possibily because they didn't have the foggiest about what kind of lives 'real' women led?

~
    ~

Blog Entries
    hm.. that's a good point.. but didn't they have sisters, cousins, wives, mothers, neighbours whose life they could use as a model?

seriously, Jane Austen nearly put me off reading classics for good. when i was a little witch i thought all classics were like Austen.
    now I've read Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens and am eager to read more classics (Thakerey, Hardy, Wuthering Hights, etc)

Subject vs. Style

hum, grrr.. i don't like Jane Austen...
    yep, she's a good writer and all that.. but all her irony and subtlety are wasted on boring plots...
    i mean aren't all her books essentially about the same thing?

i try to view her novels as historical documents of her time, when most middle class women had nothing better to do than paint, draw and marry....
    characters
    Scott talking of Jane Austen, “This writer's novels, he says, remind him ' of the merits of the Flemish school of painting. The subjects are not often elegant, and certainly newer grand; but they are finished up to nature, and with a precision which delights the reader.'”
    Now you might like the subject mater, theSturm und Drang, of Delacroix over a Vermeer but as the subject mater in the Flemish school is limited, so is it in Austen's plots but it is in the detail, in the execution where the magic lies.
    By all means read Bronte, read Hardy, read Elliot for only in knowing them can you make comparisons. I think that teachers in forcing literature on students do a great disservice, very few young and inexperienced minds have the capacity to like what is subtle and complex. And Austen is just such a writer, as the effects she is after change with each novel: it is a process of paring down, of elimination of the extraneous.
    I do not wish to inflame - “when most middle class women had nothing better to do than paint, draw and marry”, - but can most present middle class women paint, draw, or play the piano? From what I see the only thing they do is talk on the cell phone! In 200 years is this an accomplishment?
    Last edited by Newcomer; 04-13-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: correction

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
    “when most middle class women had nothing better to do than paint, draw and marry”, - but can most present middle class women paint, draw, or play the piano? From what I see the only thing they do is talk on the cell phone! In 200 years is this an accomplishment?
    hahaha I hadn't thought about that

hahaha I hadn't thought about that
    Thinking and laughing are good qualities to have when reading Austen. You'll do well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast