Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Importance of "Propriety" in "pride and Prejudice" >> Please HELP

Question The Importance of "Propriety" in "pride and Prejudice" >> Please HELP

Would u please help me ,,

i have to make a presentation about "The Importance of propriety in pride and prejudice"

and I HAVE TO get an A in this course ,,,

i'd be grateful if u guyz help me

Red face Waitin'

Please guyz ,,
    I'm waitin' for ur generous reply ...

Blog Entries
    What exactly do you want to do?
    "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." --*Helen Keller*

i'm asked

Quote Originally Posted by vin1391 View Post
    What exactly do you want to do?
    i'm asked to make a presentation about the importance of the accepted behaviors , (Propriety \ manners) in "Pride and Prejudice" ...
    Last edited by adiga_5ijabz; 03-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    you mean how they behaved...I don't understand clearly...Sorry though my first language is not english..thats why.

If I can help....I will.
    Last edited by vin1391; 03-09-2007 at 11:46 AM.
    "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." --*Helen Keller*

Thanks alot anyways

Blog Entries
    Do you have to do the presentation in a computer?

Consider the fact that the first couple mentioned (Elinor and Edward Ferrars) are in love with each other but they have to supress their feelings : Elinor because as a female she must wait for an open declaration of love (propriety dictates that as a woman she is not supposed to reveal her feelings first). Moreover she is not approved from the relatives of Edward. And Edward having pledged his word to another girl (Miss Steele i think) earlier in his life when his was impressionable and thoughtless, can't withdraw from the arrangement (although he has regret it and meanwhile has met Elinor and is deeply in love with her) because again propriety dictates that a man must be true to his word. Therefor he must wait for the lady (Miss Steele) to call off the engagement.

On the other hand Marianne being romantic and somehow thoughtless does not consider at all what people around her may think and easilly submits to the love she feels for Wiloghby (i really can't spell his name properly but you understand whom i mean). She declares her affection and from their mutual behavior everyone understands their "affair". This her sister Elinor does not approve at all due to lack of propriety in Mariane's behavior.

When later on Elinor learns everything about Edwards secret engagement with Miss Steele she tells noone not even her sister and prefers to grieve alone. She may seem cold, distant even inhuman (because she reveals no sentiments at all) but she thinks that again propriety dictates that a well bred lady must be composed. She sometimes is bitter against her sister who having learned Wilougby's inconstancy indulges in her passions, grieves openly and is driven to extremities (for examble she is being rude and disagreeable to everybody. She partakes in nothing the social etiquette dictates, she does not return visits etc).

Hope that helps

I was thinking of "Sense and sensibility" actually..I'll give it a try again
    Last edited by manolia; 03-11-2007 at 02:54 PM.

manolia : Thanks alot for ur effort but wht u've sent z about another novel ,, not "Pride & Prejudice"

ayways , thanks alot manolia

Quote Originally Posted by vin1391 View Post
    Do you have to do the presentation in a computer?
    No

Well here we go again...Since i got the book straight!

Remember the behavior of the Bennet family while they are in public. The 3 youngest girls participate to all the family activities together with the 2 older. That is considered very strange and is talked over by several people and is considered a great impropriety since girls are not supposed to participate in these kind of activities until they reach a certain age. Their behavior is also improper since they show their strong preference in young officers and are very lively instead of composed and reserved as well bred ladies ought to be.
    Their mother on the other hand is constantly speaking and boasting of a supposed expected marriage between her eldest daughter and the rich gentleman and in fact there exists no engagement at all. The right course of things is firstly the said gentleman to talk the matter over with the father and then to start talking publically of it.

Remember that early in the book we get hints that Darcy is in love with Lizzy .He keeps looking at her and aks her to dance having previously slighted all the other young ladies in the room. But still he refrains from declaring openly his love to her until he is ready to burst with love and literally rushes into the room. The reason for that is that it is considered great impropriety for a person of his position, his birth and his wealth to be united with a much inferior lady in all aspects (like Lizzy). Nobility marries into nobility and families of great fortune make this kind of allies. So Lizzy is an unsuitable match for Darcy. There is no way that his family will accept her and he is well aware of that. Besides he is engaged from birth to his cousin, lady Catherine's daughter.

Another thing that sounds strange to the contemporary reader is the demeanor of everyone to lady Catherine. Lady Catherine is reverenced by everyone and is thought good at everything (when it is obvious that she is not). The lucases are ecstatic having met her and received to her palace. You must understand that in Jane Austen's age every individual understood perfect his position in the social pyramid. Therefor everyone submits to the presence of lady Catherine and consiquently to their fate knowing their position in the world (Lizzy excepted). Of course etiquette and propriety dictates all the above.

And lastly young miss Bennet's elopement is the gravest impropriety in the book. She runs away with a young officer unmarried and she disgraces not only herself but everyone related to her. Thus their sisters consider themselves destroyed. No young and respectable gentleman would wish to be united with a woman whose family bears such a shame. Therefor Darcy in order to save the woman he loves (in fact to "clean" her family name) seeks the young couple gives the bridegroom a large sum of money and is even present to their wedding.

Lizzy shows lack of propriety only in one point. When she confronts lady Catherine and instead of submiting to her majestic presence (and consequently her fate) helds her head high and finally marries Darcy. I believe this is one of the points that Austen wanted to make in her book. That our life is what we make of it and we should fight the society constraints.

Hope that helps.

You can keep the "sense and sensibility" analysis. Who knows what your next homework may be
    Last edited by manolia; 03-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.

thnxx

Thanxxxxxxxxxxxx alot
    hehehe i'll keep keep the "sense and sensibility" analysis

Blog Entries
    That was great.

Is there LitNetAnonymous? Adudaewen's Avatar
    Well, I wanted to help, but Manolia pretty much covered everything. Good analysis by the way!
    "Who are a little wise
    the best fools be." John Donne

If a drop of water falls in lake there is no identity. But if it falls on a leaf of lotus it shine like a pearl. so choose the best place where you would shine..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast