Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Authors

I'm a big Hugo fan, but I also love Dumas.

I've developed a greater appreciation for Tolkien since take my History of the English Language class. I've even been compelled to begin reading his biography.
    Hwt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/eodcuninga rum gefrunon,/hu a elingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaena reatum,/ monegum mgum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syan rest wear/ feasceaft funden; he s frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,/ ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning!

Blog Entries
    ooh! what have you found out? i researched him and found out the most wonderful things. like inventing____when he was 12. or receiving the___from the queen.
    if you haven't found those i don't want to spoil things, but i loved his works so much more when i learned those tidbits.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

atiguhya padma - I read Blindness in English, now that i think about it probably is so much better in Portuguese. I'm having a hard time finishing The Stone Raft, I think the problem is that it just doesn't compare to Blindness.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Papayahed,

Unfortunately, I've only read Blindness. But I certainly will look out for some of his other stuff. Shame that The Stone Raft doesn't match up. But I guess it is a very difficult act to follow.

AP
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Originally posted by amuse
    ooh! what have you found out? i researched him and found out the most wonderful things. like inventing____when he was 12. or receiving the___from the queen.
    if you haven't found those i don't want to spoil things, but i loved his works so much more when i learned those tidbits.
    I just started, so I've only gotten as far as him and his brother labeling two men in their town as the White and Black Ogres. They kind of remind me of Merry and Pippin.

Isn't it strange how much more fun it is to read or even re-read a work after you've done a little research? It's a new concept for me. I don't know how I enjoyed books so much before.
    Hwt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/eodcuninga rum gefrunon,/hu a elingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaena reatum,/ monegum mgum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syan rest wear/ feasceaft funden; he s frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weormyndum ah,/ ot him ghwylc ara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. t ws god cyning!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I read Poe's. To me he's the master of mystery, detective and sci-fic stories
    I also read Guy de Maupassant alot, he's truly a master of short stories. I love short stories more since I have the span of attention of a small puppy

Blog Entries
    George MacDonald, Tolkien, Ursula LeGuin
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

Blog Entries
    Stanislaw lem, Isaac Asimov, C.S. Lewis, Karl Marx and Ogden Nash.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    oh, my. there are so many
    Diana Gabaldon
    Stephen King
    Geoffrey Chaucer
    oh and definitely Margaret Atwood
    and for poetry: Leonard Cohen, and John Donne...without a doubt
    and the list could go on and on and on.......
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    M R James
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12