Thread: anne books

Smile anne books

hi. whats your favourite anne book and why?

mine is anne of green gables because it is lovely how anne finds a family and gets into lots of scrapes!

yeah!I agree...Thats a lovely book..I love annes house of dreams & anne of inglside.

I wasn't sure where to post about this, but I love the movies "Anne of Green Gables" and "Anne of Avonlea", but oddly enough I've never read any of the books. And I love to read too! I just never got around to reading them. I found this forum and just happened to find my way into this section of it and now seeing so many of you talk about how wonderful they are, I really feel like giving them a try. The characters of Anne, Gilbert, Marila, Diana..etc..are so dear to me, just from the movies. Can anyone give me a list of the books in the order in which they should be read? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Writer-In-Training
    Oooohhhhh.... a question I'd love to answer! Lucy Maud is my favourite author, has been since I was a kid. I still read her books and have all of her novels. As for the Anne series (which are so much better in book form, although I do love the movies) the order of them are:

Anne of Green Gables
    Anne of Avonlea
    Anne of the Island
    Anne of Windy Poplars
    Anne's House of Dreams
    Anne of Ingleside
    Rainbow Valley
    Rilla of Ingleside

Anne of Ingleside deals a lot with her and Gilbert's children, chapters switching focus on the kids. Rainbow Valley is all about the kids and their closest friends, and Rilla of Ingelside (perhaps my second favourite after Anne's House of Dreams) is told from the point of view of their youngest daughter and takes place over the course of the first world war. It's an excellent book to end the series, a rather poignant look at what happened back here at home during that time.

After those I'd recommend the Emily trilogy: Emily of New Moon, Emily Climbs and Emily's Quest (My next favourite set of hers). If you want any other recommendations of what to read and in what order, I'd be happy to let you know.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    hello and welcome to the site jewel.
    Annes house of Dreams is the saddest Rilla of Ingleside is in my top 3 I think.

The pat books were good too.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenone76 View Post
    I wasn't sure where to post about this, but I love the movies "Anne of Green Gables" and "Anne of Avonlea", but oddly enough I've never read any of the books. And I love to read too! I just never got around to reading them.
    Same here, I thought the movies were just wonderful, but never read the books. I cried when Matthew died, the characters just seemed so real. Thanks for the list, jewelledSky
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Blog Entries
    The films butchered the books the first film was ok, I guess but the last one you lost so much of the greatness of the books.

|currently reading

Thank you for your reply, JewelledSky. I really appreciate it. I was able to get a copy of Anne of Green Gables and as soon as time will allow, and as soon as I finish Pride and Prejudice, I look forward to starting it. I love these characters and very much look forward to reading about them, since there is so much in a book that it is impossible to put it all into a movie, no matter how good it is. Can't wait! I'll be sure to let you all know what I think.
    Last edited by chosenone76; 04-17-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Writer-In-Training
    Hey, thanks for the welcome!

An aside on the book/movie question. As I'm sure you could tell from my last post, I'm a huge fan. I actually quite liked the first two movies and thought, considering that Sullivan smashed three books together in order to make the second movie, it was still well done. I have to admit, I never watched the third one. The trailers alone put me off watching it. For those of you who have seen the third movie but never read the books (and keep in mind this is coming from someone who merely saw trailers) the last movie doesn't appear to really have anything to do with the actual novels. By the time the war hit, Gilbert was not going to go. All his sons did, but not him. I think you'll find the novels vastly different, but I also think that once you read them, you'll enjoy the story as LMM wrote it far more than the movie production.

So, all you Anne fans, let's change the "favourites" question. How about favourite character out of that series of eight? Personally, mine has always been, and continues to be Walter. I think he's every young girl's fantasy of what their perfect future boyfriend/husband should be... intelligent, dark, moody, with the heart of a dreamer and a poet who sees the true beauty in life for all its glory. He's definitely my favourite.

Now, the only thing I ask in this discussion, for the sake of those who haven't read the entire series, please don't give away the information that happens in the last book. Let it be the experience for them that it should be.

Blog Entries
    the third one takes part of the Rilla story and makes that anne and gilbert but mostly it was just completlyy made up.

|currently reading

I read all of them except Rainbow Vally and Rilla of Ingleside, I can't seem to find a bookstore around here that has them, but I'm trying... I have to say my favorite character was Diana (Barry, not Blythe) and I loved Anne too, Mathew is definetly up there and I liked oh, what's his name, Davy, Marilla.. Priscilla, Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty um... Rebecca Dew... Rilla was my favorite of Anne's children... um Phil I really liked... oh! I'm forgetting Gilbert, loved Gilbert (the first time I read Anne of Green Gables I like fell in love with him, and OMG when I read Anne of Avonlea, I think it was there she rejected him, but if it wasn't whenever she rejected him, I got SO mad at Anne for it, I was like OMG MARRY HIM!!!!) lol