Thread: "great as the novel is one can't afterwards rememeb neth except Heathcliff&Catherine

Question "great as the novel is one can't afterwards rememeb neth except Heathcliff&Catherine

"Great as the novel is, one cannot afterwards remember anything in it but Heathcliff and the elder Catherine"

hey i got the quote recently by some 1927 author and i'm jus wondering if ne1 else thinks that quote is a bit too critical. its true Heathcliff and Catherine are the protagonists, but does it mean that every1 else in the novel is insignificant?

one is sure to remember Nelly for her loose tongue and even Linton for being a weak spawn of Heathcliff.

All great love stories tend to be remembered for their lovers: Jane and Mr Rochester, Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde. It would be more worrying if they didn't remember Heathcliff and Cathy.

(I'm actually quite fond of the younger Catherine - very spirited and charming.)
    Last edited by PaulT; 02-27-2007 at 06:38 AM.
    "The divil's harried off his soul!"
    http://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/

I think Nelly is probably the most complicated character in the book. And then there's the catankerous Joseph....

Isnt that quote from E.M.Foster ?
    I think I read it from him and all that he is doing (as he believe all english romances until that time had flaws) is that the entire book is centered around those two, even the scenario depends on the strong emotions of those two and that is not false, the book is about them, their passion, their emotions all along.

Romania; actually...somewhere between Shakespeare and modern poets
    indeed, it's E.M Forster- Aspects of the novel.
    Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today (James Dean)

That's because the passions of Cathy and Heathcliff reverberate even after her death.