Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Literary theory?

Banned

signifier and signified of saussure and derrida

could any one of you explain these things:

1. What is "signifier" and "signified"? Can you explain in simple language but elaboratively?

2. What is the notion of Saussure about these terms?
    3. What is the notion of Derrida about these terms?
    4. How did Derrida attack on the notion of Saussure's "Signifier" and "Signified"?
    5. Is there any elimentary self-learning book for beginners of theory?

As mentioned earlier, try Eagleton's book for an intro. From there, move on to Richter, and probably for additional readings, Leitch. Finally, go for the complete versions of various works mentioned in the anthologies.

As ralfyman says, Eagleton's Literary Theory is the meatball special in terms of getting to know literary theory. It's getting on a bit now, but it's excellent, engaging, and stimulating stuff. I've read it twice now and highly recommend it.
    Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Jeff Spicoli

Hello,

I have read most of Culler's "Very Short Introduction.." but have found it rather dry in so far as relevant examples. I don't know about you but these are the key to my personal understanding of some new idea I am tinkering with.

In this sense, I came across a rather good book titled "The Art of Fiction - Illustrated from Classic and Modern Texts" by David Lodge. It features clear exemplification of some important literary concepts (the intrusive author, stream of consciousness, point of view, intertextuality, inner monologue etc) through canonical texts of the English and American tradition (Joyce, Woolf, Fowles, Nabokov etc.). I have found more useful than any other book I have read on the subject.

My question, then, is: Has anyone else read it and if so, how did it affect you and what other works in this manner are there?

Thanks,
    Cris.
    (first post)

hello every body

plz can your helpe me about liturary theory especially three theory (structuralism , marxism and feminist theory) and how can applieing these theory in literary work

I don't want to be even funnier than the actual situation, but for about 50 years now it has seemed to me that literary theories are like fruits in a farmer's market. Too many for even 1000 meals.
    Not that I do it all the time, but I would prefer analysing the assembly line of a car manufacturer. Sorry I wasn't tall enough to make it to the academic team.
    Last edited by cafolini; 10-05-2011 at 12:06 PM.

good evening
    no body could help me to understand thes theory

hi every body
    I was asked about liturary theory , I have no answer so I make offert to fined the answer and I want to shair for bineft to the all , if I am mistak plz correcte me
    this is a sammary of what I am understande
    liturary theory is a tools , method and view lamp to help or to understand liturary work and studing theory to look deeply of the issues , also to think about issues deeply and analyeses the liturary work in depth
    one of these theory which I intrest about it is Structuralism (structure at novel or poem)
    looking at linguistic devices , binary oppositions , point of view , narrations.
    Feminism theory which intrest of the role of women in society , ptriarchy &matriarchy , women right , women characters and relationship between men and women .
    Marxism theory looking of class struggle , economic issues , exploitation in capitalist society , child laboure and materialism .

Never chase after literary theory. I think all literary theories are hogwash. Writers are creators and do not want to cocoon themselves in a particular set of theories and if they do they will cripple themselves. Today some of the great writers, poets who once were popular are forgotten since they were not contained in any theorists' or critics' frame. So many deserving writers have remained distant or barred from getting awards or applauses or getting published. That is why I never care whether critics like my poems or not. I do not care even if some critics become very critical of my poems and what makes me happy is to see how many people read my poems not how many comments or appreciations I have received

Quote Originally Posted by osho View Post
    Never chase after literary theory. I think all literary theories are hogwash. Writers are creators and do not want to cocoon themselves in a particular set of theories and if they do they will cripple themselves. Today some of the great writers, poets who once were popular are forgotten since they were not contained in any theorists' or critics' frame. So many deserving writers have remained distant or barred from getting awards or applauses or getting published. That is why I never care whether critics like my poems or not. I do not care even if some critics become very critical of my poems and what makes me happy is to see how many people read my poems not how many comments or appreciations I have received
    Very truthfull.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234