Thread: The Theory of Relativity

The Theory of Relativity

In my infinite desire to learn, to develop my intellectuality, and expand my mind, I decided to try and read Einstein's Theory of Relativity. After a mere 20 pages, my brain already hurts. Can any of you braniacs (I use the term in the nicest possible way) out there offer some enlightenment on the subject? Is there something else I should read as a prerequisite?

Cheers,
    Lara

Lara,

In the world of physics, String theory is what everyone is taking about now.

"Witten: In Einstein's general relativity the structure of space can change but not its topology. Topology is the property of something that doesn't change when you bend it or stretch it as long as you don't break anything. You can imagine a bowling ball and you can imagine a coffee cup that has a handle -- the coffee cup is different topologically because there's a handle. Even if you could bend it or stretch it, as long as you don't break it, it's still got that handle, which makes it topologically different."

“Many physicists consider Ed Witten to be Einstein's true successor. A mathematical physicist at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, Witten has been awarded everything from a MacArthur "genius grant" to the Fields Medal, the highest honor in the world of mathematics. His contributions to string theory have been myriad, including the time in 1995 when he gave the then somewhat moribund field a much-needed boost by showing how the five different variations of the theory then competing with one another actually all belonged under one umbrella. In this interview, Witten talks about how the big bang could have coughed up a string so large that it might still survive in the universe and be visible with telescopes -- and other ideas to make your head spin.”

Read more about String Theory at the link below, where you can visit the “Eleagant Universe” Homepage as well.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/view-witten.html
    Last edited by hal9000; 03-02-2004 at 12:26 AM.

Daaaanggg..... I don't think I'm up for Einstein just yet.

Thank you Hal. I shall explore further.

Ah, so much knowledge in this world to absorb. I would like to be a full time sponge, however, lifes responsibilities do not permit me.

Maybe not now Lara, but life would permit you to be that sponge if you were a writer.

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Lara,

Although I haven't read it myself, I believe that Bertrand Russell's ABC of Relativity would be useful.

AP
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Do not laugh at me now...But there is this comic book about Einstein that really helps. The writer takes all his metaphors, like the one about the elevator, and show them in pictures.

(Hope this will not end up among the anecdotes about embarrasing stuff...)
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Originally posted by Isagel
    Do not laugh at me now...But there is this comic book about Einstein that really helps. The writer takes all his metaphors, like the one about the elevator, and show them in pictures.

Seems effective to me.

here's another interesting link.
    Last edited by hal9000; 03-04-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Even a science or engineering student won't start learn this theory from the original version of Einstein's.

Hav u read "a brief history of time" by stephen hawking?

Originally posted by z3050842
    Even a science or engineering student won't start learn this theory from the original version of Einstein's.
    One need not be a science or engineering student to explore and understand the fundamental principles of theoretical physics.

I haven't read any of Stephen Hawking's books. Tell me more.

King of Plastic Spoons imthefoolonthehill's Avatar
    speaking of hurt minds... I tried to read C.S. Lewis's Abolition of Man... only a hundred pages... right? lol... I started at 12:00 midnight... and was still at it, rereading sentences at 2:00 am...

It is an amazing work on reality... and education and science and morality...
    Told by a fool, signifying nothing.