Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Discuss literary movements

Discuss literary movements

These are the literary movements which I could find...would like it if other members could add some more or discuss these movements, how they came into being, the creators, the authors who were influenzed by them etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_movement

List of literary movements

This is a list of modern literary movements: that is, movements after the Renaissance. These terms, helpful for curricula or anthologies, evolved over time to group writers who are often loosely related. Some of these movements (such as Dada and Beat) were defined by the members themselves, while other terms (the metaphysical poets, for example) emerged decades or centuries after the periods in question. Ordering is approximate, as there is considerable overlap.

These are movements either drawn from or influential for literature in the English language.

Amatory fiction

Romantic fiction written in the 17th century and 18th century, primarily written by and for women.
    Notable authors: Eliza Haywood, Aphra Behn

Cavalier Poets

17th century English royalist poets, writing primarily about courtly love, called Sons of Ben (after Ben Jonson).
    Notable authors: Richard Lovelace, William Davenant

Metaphysical poets

17th century English movement using extended conceit, often (though not always) about religion.
    Notable authors: John Donne, George Herbert

The Augustans

An 18th century literary movement based chiefly on classical ideals, satire and skepticism.
    Notable authors: Alexander Pope, Jonathan Swift

Romanticism

18th to 19th century movement emphasizing emotion and imagination, rather than logic and scientific thought. Response to the Enlightenment.
    Notable authors: Victor Hugo, Lord Byron

Gothic novel

Fiction in which Romantic ideals are combined with an interest in the supernatural and in violence.
    Notable authors: Mary Shelley, Bram Stoker

Lake Poets

A group of Romantic poets from the English Lake District who wrote about nature and the sublime.
    Notable authors: William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge

American Romanticism

Distinct from European Romanticism, the American form emerged somewhat later, was based more in fiction than in poetry, and incorporated a (sometimes almost suffocating) awareness of history, particularly the darkest aspects of American history.
    Notable authors: Washington Irving, Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pre-Raphaelitism

19th century, primarily English movement based ostensibly on undoing innovations by the painter Raphael. Many were both painters and poets.
    Notable authors: Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Christina Rossetti

Transcendentalism

19th century American movement: poetry and philosophy concerned with self-reliance, independence from modern technology.
    Notable authors: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau

Dark romanticism

19th century American movement in reaction to Transcendentalism. Finds man inherently sinful and self-destructive and nature a dark, mysterious force.
    Notable authors: Edgar Allan Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Melville

Realism

Late-19th century movement based on a simplification of style and image and an interest in poverty and everyday concerns.
    Notable authors: Honoré de Balzac, Leo Tolstoy, Frank Norris

Naturalism

Also late 19th century. Proponents of this movement believe heredity and environment control people.
    Notable authors: Émile Zola, Stephen Crane

Symbolism

Principally French movement of the fin de siècle based on the structure of thought rather than poetic form or image; influential for English language poets from Edgar Allan Poe to James Merrill.
    Notable authors: Stéphane Mallarmé, Paul Valéry

Stream of consciousness

Early-20th century fiction consisting of literary representations of quotidian thought, without authorial presence.
    Notable authors: Virginia Woolf, James Joyce

Modernism

Variegated movement of the early 20th century, encompassing primitivism, formal innovation, or reaction to science and technology.
    Notable authors: T.S. Eliot, H.D.

The Lost Generation

It was traditionally attributed to Gertrude Stein and was then popularized by Ernest Hemingway in the epigraph to his novel The Sun Also Rises,. and his memoir A Moveable Feast. It refers to a group of American literary notables who lived in Paris and other parts of Europe from the time period which saw the end of World War I to the beginning of the Great Depression.
    Notable Authors: F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, Waldo Pierce
    Dada

Touted by its proponents as anti-art, dada focused on going against artistic norms and conventions.
    Notable authors: Guillaume Apollinaire, Kurt Schwitters

First World War Poets

Poets who documented both the idealism and the horrors of the war and the period in which it took place.
    Notable authors: Siegfried Sassoon, Rupert Brooke

Imagism

Poetry based on description rather than theme, and on the motto, "the natural object is always the adequate symbol."
    Notable authors: Ezra Pound, Richard Aldington

Harlem Renaissance

African American poets, novelists, and thinkers, often employing elements of blues and folklore, based in the Harlem neighborhood of New York City in the 1920s.
    Notable authors: Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston

Surrealism

Originally a French movement, influenced by Surrealist painting, that uses surprising images and transitions to play off of formal expectations and depict the unconscious rather than conscious mind.
    Notable authors: Jean Cocteau, Dylan Thomas

Southern Agrarians

A group of Southern American poets, based originally at Vanderbilt University, who expressly repudiated many modernist developments in favor of metrical verse and narrative. Some Southern Agrarians were also associated with the New Criticism.
    Notable authors: John Crowe Ransom, Robert Penn Warren
    Oulipo

Mid-20th century poetry and prose based on seemingly arbitrary rules for the sake of added challenge.
    Notable authors: Raymond Queneau, Walter Abish

Postmodernism

Postwar movement skeptical of absolutes and embracing diversity, irony, and word play.
    Notable authors: Jorge Luis Borges, Thomas Pynchon

Black Mountain Poets

A self-identified group of poets, originally based at Black Mountain College, who eschewed patterned form in favor of the rhythms and inflections of the human voice.
    Notable authors: Charles Olson, Denise Levertov

Beat poets

American movement of the 1950s and '60s concerned with counterculture and youthful alienation.
    Notable authors: Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs, Ken Kesey

Confessional poetry

Poetry that, often brutally, exposes the self as part of an aesthetic of the beauty and power of human frailty.
    Notable authors: Robert Lowell, Sylvia Plath

New York School

Urban, gay or gay-friendly, leftist poets, writers, and painters of the 1960s.
    Notable authors: Frank O'Hara, John Ashbery

Magical Realism

Literary movement in which magical elements appear in otherwise realistic circumstances. Most often associated with the Latin American literary boom of the 20th century.
    Notable authors: Gabriel García Márquez, Octavio Paz, Günter Grass

Postcolonialism

A diverse, loosely connected movement of writers from former colonies of European countries, whose work is frequently politically charged.
    Notable authors: Jamaica Kincaid, V.S. Naipaul

Blog Entries
    Hey, that's a nice list wordsworth. Thanks for putting that together.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Yes, thank you for that. It reminded me that there are a lot of authors and areas of literature that I need to explore...

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Southern Gothic

Tennessee Williams described Southern Gothic as a style that captured "an intuition, of an underlying dreadfulness in modern experience."

A subgenre of the Gothic writing style, unique to American literature. Like its parent genre, it relies on supernatural, ironic, or unusual events to guide the plot. Unlike its predecessor, it uses these tools not for the sake of suspense, but to explore social issues and reveal the cultural character of the American South.

The Southern Gothic author usually avoids perpetuating Antebellum stereotypes like the contented slave, the demure Southern belle, the chivalrous gentleman, or the righteous Christian preacher. Instead, the writer takes classic Gothic archetypes, such as the damsel in distress or the heroic knight, and portrays them in a more modern and realistic manner — transforming them into, for example, a spiteful and reclusive spinster, or a white-suited, fan-brandishing lawyer with ulterior motives.

One of the most notable features of the Southern Gothic is "The Grotesque" — this includes situations, places, or stock characters that often possess some cringe-inducing qualities, typically racial bigotry and egotistical self-righteousness — but enough good traits that readers find themselves interested nevertheless. While often disturbing, Southern Gothic authors commonly use deeply flawed, grotesque characters for greater narrative range and more opportunities to highlight unpleasant aspects of Southern culture, without being too literal or appearing to be overly moralistic.

This genre of writing is seen in the work of such famous Southern writers as William Faulkner,Herper Lee

The Absurdist

A genre of fiction, drama or poetry that centers on the behavior of absurd characters, situations or subjects. While a great deal of absurdist fiction is humorous in nature, the hallmark of the genre is not humor, but rather the study of human behavior under circumstances that are highly unusual. Absurdist fiction posits little judgement about characters or their actions; that task is left to the reader.

Unlike many other forms of literature, absurdist works will not necessarily have a traditional plot structure (ie rising action, climax, falling action). Similarly, the "moral" of the story is generally not explicit, and the characters are often ambiguous in nature.

Due to its non-conformist nature, many readers struggle with Absurdism when they are first exposed to it. Indeed, it would be accurate to describe absurdism and absurdist fiction as an "acquired taste." Conversely, this genre is a favorite among scholars because it lends itself so well to interpretation, discussion, and debate.

Absurdism grew out of the modernist literature of the late 19th and early 20th century as a direct opposition to the Victorian literature which was prominent just prior to this period.

Notable Authors: Albert Camus, Samuel Beckett
    Last edited by NickAdams; 05-22-2007 at 10:24 AM.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAdams View Post
    Southern Gothic

A subgenre of the Gothic writing style, unique to American literature. Like its parent genre, it relies on supernatural, ironic, or unusual events to guide the plot. Unlike its predecessor, it uses these tools not for the sake of suspense, but to explore social issues and reveal the cultural character of the American South.

The Southern Gothic author usually avoids perpetuating Antebellum stereotypes like the contented slave, the demure Southern belle, the chivalrous gentleman, or the righteous Christian preacher. Instead, the writer takes classic Gothic archetypes, such as the damsel in distress or the heroic knight, and portrays them in a more modern and realistic manner — transforming them into, for example, a spiteful and reclusive spinster, or a white-suited, fan-brandishing lawyer with ulterior motives.

One of the most notable features of the Southern Gothic is "The Grotesque" — this includes situations, places, or stock characters that often possess some cringe-inducing qualities, typically racial bigotry and egotistical self-righteousness — but enough good traits that readers find themselves interested nevertheless. While often disturbing, Southern Gothic authors commonly use deeply flawed, grotesque characters for greater narrative range and more opportunities to highlight unpleasant aspects of Southern culture, without being too literal or appearing to be overly moralistic.

This genre of writing is seen in the work of such famous Southern writers as William Faulkner, Erskine Caldwell, Flannery O'Connor, Carson McCullers, Eudora Welty, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Harper Lee, Harry Crews, Lee Smith, Cormac McCarthy, Barry Hannah, Lewis Nordan, and William Gay among others.

Tennessee Williams described Southern Gothic as a style that captured "an intuition, of an underlying dreadfulness in modern experience."
    Interesting you put Cormac McCarthy in with southern gothic. Do you know if he considers himself that way. He's certainly southern, but is he gothic? I've read a couple of his novels and find them excellent. He may be our best American living writer. I would love to learn more about him.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    That's a very interesting topic. I'm actually studying certain literary works that apply to some of the names on the list. The Cavalier poets, my least favorite. The Metaphysical poets..And realism. Thank you for putting them together..I think I have to read more about some of them though
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Some mesto, or another. Bog knows you wouldn't be able to viddy me from your okno.
    Virgil,

Some movements share qualities, so I might have been generalizing too much. I'll edit it, until I'm certain.

Perhaps this thread was buried and too difficult for anyone to find. I've raised it back to the surface, just incase someone has something they would like to add.

"Do you mind if I reel in this fish?" - Dale Harris

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn." - Ernest Hemingway

Blog

Romanticism is my favorite to read, regardless of the situation. I can always sit down with Hardy or Melville or Dickens and enjoy myself in a relaxing manner.

Mere constructs - the only real "movements" are either groups of people who share work with each other, such as Coleridge and Wordsworth, or chronological ones.

It is notable that, for instance, Keats criticized Wordsworth, and really they are completely different poets in so many respects, yet chronologically they are placed together. I would also think Byron would have placed better with 18th century poets, rather than the romantics, but that is a very lose proposition.

In truth, all these little movements are rather artificial. They overlap to such a degree that using them isn't even plausible.

For instance, Salman Rushdie is a "post-colonial" author, yet also a Magic realist one. Chuine Achebe is also a post-colonialist, yet shares very little with Rushdie, beyond that.

I think, with post-modernism basically blurring distinctions of genre to such a high degree, such movements really don't work. Take, for instance, Autobiography of Red - how can you place that? Prose or verse? Realism, magical realism, allegory, classicist, what? It can't really be placed.

Really, when you think of it, most of these are rather silly. Donne, Herbert, and Marvell couldn't be more different poets, with the exception that they both rely on long-winded conceits, and dense wordplay. Other than that though, they are so different, that grouping them together is rather silly. Donne Shares more with Hopkins than with Marvell anyway, yet time makes a "movement" between them impossible.

Really though, when it comes down to it, were merely chronologically categorize, and call that "movement" a time focus, based on language conventions. With that notion, Wyatt and Milton technically are grouped together as renaissance poets, yet couldn't be farther apart, chronologically and in terms of poetics. All these "schools" are rather just geographical outputs, usually associated around a regional periodical that likes to get more attention by calling itself a movement.
    Last edited by JBI; 11-21-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hill View Post
    Romanticism is my favorite to read, regardless of the situation. I can always sit down with Hardy or Melville or Dickens and enjoy myself in a relaxing manner.
    Technically, neither Dickens nor Hardy are romantics, especially not Hardy. Dickens seems more of a realist, whereas Hardy is described as a "naturalist", and I would say later, during his poetic career after Jude the Obscure, a modernist, though that may be a stretch for some people. Certainly though, those guys weren't romantics.

"stream of consciousness" is not a literary movement; it is a narrative technique and james joyce and virginia woolf are associated with modernism.
    also, post-colonialism is not a literary movement. post-colonialism is associated with postmodernism. but on the other hand, postmodernism can hardly be named "literary movement". PoMo does not have a "manifesto", a literary program, like surrealism or romanticism, for example. PoMo just happened in different parts of the world. "magic realism" is also associated with PoMo. after 1960-1970's we cannot talk anymore about literary movements like those belonging to the XIX century, like: naturalism, realism, transcendentalism, symbolism and others.
    Last edited by DisPater; 11-21-2008 at 04:20 AM.
    the main idea with the books is that there are too many not worthy to be read.

Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Technically, neither Dickens nor Hardy are romantics, especially not Hardy. Dickens seems more of a realist, whereas Hardy is described as a "naturalist", and I would say later, during his poetic career after Jude the Obscure, a modernist, though that may be a stretch for some people. Certainly though, those guys weren't romantics.
    You can speak about Victorian novelists. Dickens is an early Victorian, and Hardy a late one. Both "realism" and "naturalism" are debatable concepts, by the way: Zola and Huysmans have both been considered as naturalists, yet they are very different; and calling Dickens a realist is ignoring lots of aspects of his work.

But I think we need such concepts. First, they're fun to work with and to bicker over! Then, we do need a teeny bit of rigour in literary studies, and that means some kind of classification, even if everyone is going to argue about it. Of course some authors or books are going to be difficult to pigeonhole, but maybe that also points to their status as great works?

Edit: thought of another "school": Vorticism! Founded by Wyndham Lewis, it seems to be part of the larger movement of Modernism, and to be related to/influenced by Futurism (another interesting movement that hasn't been evoked!! For Futurism, see Marinetti and his love of machines, speed and violence - a proto-Fascist, in a way).
    Last edited by Bitterfly; 11-21-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Why is Frank Norris classed as a realist when it is a known fact that he came to writing via Emil Zola`s work? I have just finished reading `The Pit: a story of Chicago` by Norris and as with `McTeague` and `The Octopus`, the influence of Zola is striking and clearly places Norris among the naturalists.

Quote Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
    Beat poets

American movement of the 1950s and '60s concerned with counterculture and youthful alienation.
    Notable authors: Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, William S. Burroughs, Ken Kesey
    Ken Kesey was not a member of the Beat Generation. He was, however, friends with Neal Cassady (who was a Beat) and met Ginsberg and Kerouac in the 60s. Kesey was a Merry Prankster, and not affiliated with the Beats more than by friendship.
    Last edited by Peggy-O; 01-03-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
    [I]

Realism

Late-19th century movement based on a simplification of style and image and an interest in poverty and everyday concerns.
    Notable authors: Honoré de Balzac, Leo Tolstoy, Frank Norris
    Dostoevsky surely must be added to notables; if not the best author of realism.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast