Thread: Vladimir Nabokov

Vladimir Nabokov

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Nabokov

Bibliography: Fiction

Novels and novellas written in Russian

(1926) Mashen'ka ; English translation: Mary (1970)
    (1928) Korol' Dama Valet; English translation: King, Queen, Knave (1968)
    (1930) Zashchita Luzhina; English translation: The Luzhin Defense or The Defense (1964) (also adapted to film, The Luzhin Defence, in 2001)
    (1930) Sogliadatai (Eavesdropper)), novella; first publication as a book 1938; English translation: The Eye (1965)
    (1932) Podvig ((Deed)); English translation: Glory (1971)
    (1932) Kamera Obskura ; English translations: Camera Obscura (1936), Laughter in the Dark (1938)
    (1936) Otchayanie ; English translation: Despair (1937, 1966)
    (1938) Priglasheniye na kazn' ( (Invitation to an execution)); English translation: Invitation to a Beheading (1959)
    (1938) Dar; English translation: The Gift (1963)
    (Unpublished novella, written in 1939) Volshebnik (?????????); English translation: The Enchanter (1985)

Novels written in English

• The Real Life of Sebastian Knight
    • Bend Sinister
    • Lolita
    • Pnin
    • Pale Fire
    • Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle
    • Transparent Things
    • Look at the Harlequins!
    • The Original of Laura (Unfinished/Unpublished)

BBC site audio interview w/ Nabokov: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/audioin...abokovv1.shtml
    Last edited by bluechaotica; 02-23-2007 at 12:36 AM.

his book title <literature lectures> is very interesting.
    i recommend you to read professor jeffery sachs' works and listen to his lecture. his BBC Reith lectures are current on the air, i know this has nothing to do with literature, but his lectures really worth listening. i think they are much more important than his popular text book on marcoeconomics.

Lolita, Lolita... his word play in that novel is amazing, specially after taking into account that his first language was not English.

Nabokov's Dozen (1958), a collection of 13 short stories by Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov previously published in American magazines.

I take Nabokov as a writer who wrote amazingly despite the fact that English was not his first language; that he defied the traditional way of writing, and he was banned in his own country for he kind of took the liberty of writing. The fact that he wrote in defiance of the convention or conformance that popularized him across the globe. I I have read Lolita a couple of decades ago and what stirred me is unique style and the substance in his writing

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    I think he also did a prose translation of Eugene Onegin [that is a literal translation with no attempt to rhyme it] and a biography of Gogol.
    What are regrets? Just lessons we haven't learned yet - Beth Orton

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced Chaos View Post
    Lolita, Lolita... his word play in that novel is amazing, specially after taking into account that his first language was not English.
    It's stunning. I cannot comprehend how a mind can learn a language to such an advanced stage that it can produce a work so beautifully written as Lolita. I wish I could write in English like Nabokov !
    love many
    trust few
    always paddle
    your own canoe

Seems he was equally as eloquent when speaking English too. Here is is discussing Lolita on TV. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldpj_5JNFoA
    love many
    trust few
    always paddle
    your own canoe