Thread: As a Social satire

As a Social satire

The Way of the World is a social satire on the Restoration Age.
    What do u think about it?
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Know me today and you will brag about it tomorro[SIZE="7"]

Hi...

Actually, this play is imposed on me by the curriculum, and I've just finished reading it a couple of days ago.

It's too much complicated, it took me alot of time till I, somehow, comprehended the role of each character and their relationships.

if u just reach the state of distinguishing between (waitwell, witwoud and Willful) u r a genius!!!!

I didn't like it at all,but I have to study it, what can i do it's the way of the world.

I'm gonna submit to an exam about this play next month, n this course is autamatized(mcq), please pray for me

I'll try to put the questions here
    the world not worth my care
    (Jhon Dryden)
    if there's delight in love, it's when I see that heart which others bleed for, bleed for me
    (William Congreve)

Blog Entries
    I just finished reading it, and I found it to be really quite enjoyable, and delightful.

Personally I did not find it to be too complex. I thought it was easy to follow, and it was a rather amusing tale, which was intended to be a warning against infidelity as well as a jest upon marraige in general.

I loved the clever, witty banter, and the biting sense of humur and there were parts which made me laugh out loud.

It was a most entertaining play to read, and I thought the satire was rich, and the characters playful and enjoyable.

Though there are a lot of references within the play of varrious different items of liteature of the age, so it does help if you have a text which comes with good notes, or you may miss some of the bantering if you do not understand the references they are using. And some of the langauge can be difficult without good footnotes.

But still I think it is quite humurous.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

i loved the 'proviso' scene most.
    social condition is satirized in the play, the plot is complex a little, but the complication is a part of the society....in fact congreve's age was full of complexity, since the restoration culture was not peaceful but through a very transition period since unrest in the political field, (like post-civil war condition and cromwell's commonwealth) the society was through moral changing along with structural transition. the characters represent rakes, fops, typical lustful old lady who typify the social beings of that age.

the relationships are not easy, but tested, advance through intrigue, doubt, recognition and dealings. 'The Way of the World', a comedy of wit/manner, manifests the satirized image of the contemporary social plights and complicacies.
    Life is a serious matter,
    For Godsake, hock and soda water...