Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effects of Reading

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Effects of Reading

I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in chat...I daresay the Admin. will move it if need be...Thanks Admin!

How has reading affected you? I am going to do a speech encouraging people, those attending school especially, to read. For myself, I've got a vivid imagination, wide vocabulary, and strong background because of the lovely books I read. Not only that, but I want to learn Latin --Latin-- because one of my favorite book series has Latin in it. And because my favorite author, Dorothy L. Sayers, strongly encourages it. By getting your replies, I'll be able to show the pros and cons (cons? are there any?) of reading, not to mention establishing credibility. Thanks, and may your shadow never grow thinner! :P
    Last edited by andave_ya; 02-21-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

More than anything else, reading has inspired me to write. To me that seems to be one of the most important effects of reading, as without having read novels in the first place, most writers wouldn't have gone on to write their own books.

Reading a bad book, or at least a book that you don't think much of (in my case, Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire") encourages you and makes you think "I could probably do better than that." And then of course, reading a good book gives you something to aim towards...

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    How has reading affected me? Hmm...Well, because of reading, I have a little more knowledge of certain things. I wouldn't consider myself "smart" by any means. I just enjoy reading...Well, when it comes to stuff that catches my interests.

Besides, reading nowadays is, dare I say, important? Believe me, if I couldn't read and understand instructions on something I have to set up...I'll kill myself.
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

Blog Entries
    I was reading a Vonnegut, 'Fates Worse Than Death', and he goes off on all the psychological and physiological benefits of reading. I can honestly say that I never get bored, if I always keep a book around (which I do, by the dozens).
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

I agree with all the above (especially with the rich vocabulary and vivid imagination part). Also reading has increased my eloquence (which is very usefull for my work). And most important it helps me relax and forget. I lead a stressfull life and i always cherish those moments during the night when i can read a few lines of a good book.

reading the right books is like laser eye surgery for your soul.
    "We are unknown, we knowers, to ourselves..."
    -Freddy N.

Reading is entertaining. Knowledge also makes for good conversation starters.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eloquence...yes I agree. I am smarter in the sense of constructing sentences that are more worthwile. I am an editor at my job, so in the practical sense reading has taught me more about spelling, vocabulary and sentence structure.

On a more intimate basis, my perspectives on the world alter according to what I seek out (and not what is fed), my imagination has gotten wider so I am therefore able to create (in many senses). Another benefit is that I get to experience times and places I never could in real life. I've got a great view of England and I must say I've never looked up photos online.

It takes patience to read, so I think that I've greatly improved upon my patience even with others.

And it is just one of my chosen ways to be entertained...and greatly cherished.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Reading made me a more eloquent person and has opened my mind to want to absorb more information on a variety of topics, which has in turn made me a more well rounded person. As far as patience? That's a more difficult one to answer. I am patient in certain aspects, such as when it comes to reading a book that moved slow or a wathcing a movie that moves slow, etc., but when it comes to life in general, I would say that I am a somewhat short tempered person.

I've never meet a person who reads a lot, and is not very clever.
    Cons??? I know some people who got ''crazy'', they've lost sense for reality...They forgot to end the book and return to their world.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They forgot to end the book and return to their world.
    forgot?...I think I envy those people...As long as I am a student, though, I will always be pulled back to reality. Sigh.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

Invisible
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    I know some people who got ''crazy'', they've lost sense for reality...They forgot to end the book and return to their world.
    Yes - especially the russian literature is a "dangerous" example for this. You get swallowed from these books, and at the end your are (hopefully) thrown out again - maybe as a new human being.
    And that's for me the fascination of reading

Greetings

Reading has emptied my wallet (students don't have much money), drained my time, and caused me eye pains from staring at the book too late ate night.
    But I loved every minute of it.

I personally enjoy books because it enriches the life I live. Like going to a museum and seeing some art, or listening to a great piece of music, reading makes life that much more enjoyable. Just think of all those people in the world who can't read. Scary isn't it.

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    For someone who already enjoys reading and literature, this is a silly question.

But, I have been thinking about it, and the answers are obvious on how reading has affected me.

My volcabulary is growing each day with every...Nay! My volcabulary grows with ANYTHING that can be read.

My interests in literature grows with the findings of old and new writers alike.

Dante *The Divine Comedy*, for example, has inspired me to learn Italian. Not only that, but because of the depth of Dante's work, I became interested in the Holy Bible more than before. But that's not the end of it, in the Divine Comedy, Dante mentions other great writers, poets*i.e. Virgil...Among others, of course*, and many folks in history's past of historical importance. *Okay...Maybe not important...But enough to pique my curiosities in finding who they might be and what connection that they might have with history*

Oh! So much more! *Ahem* But I'll stop there...
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Reading has emptied my wallet (students don't have much money), drained my time, and caused me eye pains from staring at the book too late ate night.
    But I loved every minute of it.
    Well said in every respect.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast