Thread: Question regarding The Count of Monte Cristo

Question regarding The Count of Monte Cristo

I am trying to read The Count of Monte Cristo, but am having some trouble. The book I have, published by State Street Press, seems to have chapters missing (i.e. Chapter 4 - Conspiracy), as well as abridgments to existing chapters. Also, it is worded completely differently than various e-books I have. Yet no where in the book does it mention being a abridgment, nor does it mention who it has been translated by (My understanding is that the original was written in French).

Click here to see the version of TCoMC I have. I am not sure if this type of link is permitted, I am just including it so the version I have can be seen.

Here is an example of some of the changes.

Printed, State Street Press copy, Chapter 11 - The Hundred Days, Paragraph 1...

"Events followed one another very rapidly. Everyone knows the history of the famous return from Elba, a return which, unexampled as it was in the past, will probably remain unimitated in the future."

E-book from ManyBooks.net, same reference, only it is Chapter 13 instead of Chapter 11, due to the printed version eliminating the chapter named "Conspiracy", a essential chapter in my estimation, and a second chapter named "Father and Son", where Nortier and Villefort discourse...

"M. Noirtier was a true prophet, and things progressed rapidly, as he had predicted. Every one knows the history of the famous return from Elba, a return which was unprecedented in the past, and will probably remain without a counterpart in the future."

Does anyone know why the printed SSP version seems to be so gimpy? Do I need to chuck this publication of the book and find another?

Also, since my printed copy is obviously a diluted, abridged, version, does anyone know where I can get a full copy, with every word of every chapter?!?!
    Last edited by sonofaslan; 10-30-2007 at 09:33 PM.

okokok
    Last edited by ClickForth; 10-31-2008 at 05:27 PM.

I did read that version that the person before suggested. I then read a penguin classic version that was about 1500 pages long. The penguin version was better. It was translated by Robin Bass. The picture is of a castle and a rowboat on the sand. Sorry but, I can't attach the picture. The problem with the other version was a scene was missing that expains why the Count contiues with his revenage. My best suggestion to you is what my brother advised. If you really like a book and it is translated story you should try different translations. That what he does with Hugo. That is why I picked up the Robin Bass version even though I had thought the frist one was enough. As the previous person said, a version has to be close to 1500 pages to be a ture translation.

I hoped I spelled everything okey. Love reading hate spelling.