Thread: Dumas Error?

Question Dumas Error?

I've read all of the English translated works of Dumas that I can find in stores and I know he may have used 'assistant' writers in the past... I'm wondering if this is an error that can be attributed to that... I believe I read somewhere that he wrote Monte Cristo all by himself though so...

I'm curious if anyone has noticed in Chapter XL (Breakfast) Dumas is sitting around with Albert, Maximillion, and Renaud and Albert mentions that Dumas uses the title 'Sinbad the Sailor'.

This has to be something that Maximillion would have picked up on. It's made evident when he goes over the letter in chapter LI and reads it in front of Edmond. If that was the most important letter that he had ever read, why wouldn't Max' have figured out the whole scenario in the beginning? He should have had that letter memorized.

If anyone has an answer please let me know. Dumas is my favorite writer and I'd like someone to prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Tramtrist; 02-14-2007 at 10:29 PM.

Hallowed Tome Browser ElissaDido's Avatar
    First up, I've read somewhere that Dumas collaborated with somebody for The Count of Monte Cristo. Check wiki for that.

Anyway, I agree with you. Max should have picked up the scent ever since the breakfast scene. Or if not, he would have realized it as he read the letter again. But here's my opinion:
    a.) It's possible he hadn't heard Albert mention Sinbad or didn't pay enough attention. (which would be improbable considering he is a soldier. Soldiers are alert. xP)
    b.) He forgot the name Sinbad and his role for their safety during the breakfast scene... and forgot that Count was also called Sinbad when he finally reread the letter.
    c.) Dumas made a mistake. (more probable imo.)

Anyway, that's what I think. Hope I helped a bit.

Edmond used the title of "Sinbad" from "A Thousand Nights and a Night", which was very popular in France at the time. It's like if he had used the name "Louis". It was such a common name, that Maximilian did not associate the two.

Also, Maximilian was drawn to the Count from the very first moment they met, so perhaps that clouded his judgement.

Erudite Individual
    The Count of Monte Cristo makes it plain to Franz on the island of Monte Cristo that with all of his travels, he has yet to step foot in France or Paris for that fact. This information is repeated in Rome to Albert and Franz, and events set up the necessary "entre'" into French society with Albert owing his life to the Count.

Albert mentions that the Count has not been to France at the breakfast in his pavillion to all who are there before the Count's arrival.

Even though the appellation "Sindbad the Sailor" is referred to several times, if the Count has "never" set foot in France, then logic would beg that this "Sindbad" could not be the same who wrote the letter to Julie Morrel in France.

Chapter 42 has Monte Cristo again stating he has never been to France.
    Last edited by veronique8; 07-23-2007 at 12:08 AM.

That is true.

Well I suppose if Sinbad were as common as John or Mike then it shouldn't raise many flags. It would have been nice if Dumas could have at least piqued the interest of someone who's whole life had depended on a person named Sinbad.

Maybe Edmond didn't want to be recognized?