Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Not Swear

2004.09.30 22:20(gmt+2)

My dear Baddad,
    Ah, I could bow to you for remembering the charge. The actuality being: "The charge occurred during the battle of Balaklava in the Crimean War, when 658 British cavalrymen, acting on a misinterpreted order, rode for more than a mile under heavy fire to attack Russian artillery positions, killed the gunners, then retreated, having lost 110 dead, 180 wounded or taken prisoner and 475 horses killed."

Said being an excerpt from a post by Dee (whom resides in England) at a forum titled "Historically Your's."

But of course we all remember it in accordance with Tennyson's poignant poem:
    "Half a league, half a league,
    Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.
    'Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns!' he said:
    Into the valley of Death
    Rode the six hundred.

The actuality beingfrom the same forum)
    "Like all wars it was a long time in the making, and can be indirectly ascribed to the "benign" Turkish occupation of Palestine, whos ruler accorded various powers "rights" to protect the Christians and their Churches. Amongst such was the church of Nativity which soon became a bone of contention between Napoleon 3 (whom seeked to politically pacify a specific grouping) and the Russian Tsar. It all came to pass when the turkish ruler painted himself into a corner by bestowing the right of protection to both powers, which eventually left him with no option but to declare war on Russia, an endeavour in which she soon was joined by France and Brittain, the latter to protect her global interests.

The reader must realise that, as in any war the facts are somewhat muddled, decidedly more so in this instance where the personalities of the commanding officers were to play a major role. The main protagonists in this reversed Dickenesque tale of misguided heroics were the youthful Captain Lewis Edward Nolan, whom ( from most accounts) came across as unreasonably arrogant. A superb horseman whom has written extensively on cavalry tactics, and adc to the Quartermaster-General, Brigadier Airey. Military commanders might well have been overly in awe of him, what with Lord George Paget pronouncing thus: "....and was a great man in his own estimation...."

Lord Raglan, on the heights with a clear view of the enfolding battle, and Lords Lucan, Paget and Colonel Cardigan down in the valley amongst the troops. Four gentlemen of the old "Ours' is not to reason why, our's is but to do or die" school. Thus it was that when Lord Raglan dispatched Nolan into the valley of infamy with orders to advance with the intent to attack, Lord Lucan, upon receiving the order from Captain Nolan, and had had read it, enquired: "Where are we to advance to?' Captain Nolan pointed with his finger to the line of the Russians, and said, 'There are the enemy, and there are the guns', or words to that effect, according to statements made after his death...

The reader is well advised to remember that the the protagonists in the valley were unable to globally assess the situation, a fact which can be deduced by Lord Lucan's question.

Cardigan, upon receiving his instructions from Lucan replied: "Certainly, Sir, but allow me to point out to you that the Russians have a battery in the valley in our front, and batteries and riflemen on each flank."

"I know it," replied Lucan. 'But Lord Raglan will have it. We have no choice but to obey.'

It can well be argued that Lucan, being far senior to Nolan, should have stood up to the latter. But, that would ipso facto imply that he questions the orders of a superior officer. Extremely ungentlemanly. Accordingly the charge of the light brigade ensued, against the better judgement of those officers directly in command. Splendidly did they ride to their death, ever so gallant in their red and blue uniforms, following orders, as personified by Cardigan's statement to Raglan: 'My Lord, I hope you will not blame me, for I received the order to attack from my superior officer in front of the troops.'

In conclusion I propose that the ultimate blame for this magnificent blunder be laid at the door of the commander on the heights, as most historians concur that the orders for the battle were issued without considering the limitations those in the valley burdened under."

Of course I have permission to reproduce the above here.

Prof.

That became an incredibly interesting thread - despite its censorious origins

How does a punishment work on a forum?

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what you mean by `punishment'?

Quote Originally Posted by BSturdy
    How does a punishment work on a forum?
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

BSturdy:
    There's none as far as I know, the filters won't let the words show.

Logos:
    BSturdy might be reffering to punishment for going 'round the rules maybe?
    I have a plan: attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    Unless you want to be punished or banned

Blog Entries
    Maybe restricted access... or maybe they will come to your house and personally kick your ***, just kidding!

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    well maybe a pop up of forum rules everytime he/she log in

Or maybe having to login as *login* plus - I must not swear I must not swear I must not swear I must not swear I must not swear I must not swear - 100 times!

Blog Entries
    I like that one

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh Bsturdy, that's very cruel of you

Well, copy-pasting works even for logins

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw
    Maybe restricted access... or maybe they will come to your house and personally kick your ***, just kidding!

hahaHAAA..., but ****** thats funny stuff!!! You guys kill me..........but don't come to my house.........

We have no need to, have our ways... other then going round the world kicking ***es... ever got an electric jolt from your keyboard? No? Well, consider yourself warned, dear baddad... *need a cute 'Satan laughts his *** off' smiley*

Blog Entries
    indeed, this has turn into the *** thread.

HiJaCkEd

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem

***, ****, ****, damn which words are censored.?
    Revenge is a dish best served cold. Never was a chef, but it sounds good to me.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast