Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Not Swear

Can we say **** or ***? What about **** or **** or cooter?
    Anarchism is a game at which the Police can beat you. What have you to say to that?
    -Misalliance
    George Bernard Shaw

One of my words made it thru, so I asterisked it. Cooter is from TeleTubbies by the way.
    Anarchism is a game at which the Police can beat you. What have you to say to that?
    -Misalliance
    George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    Man you have too much time.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

smeghead
    Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    There were more than one I think. Asterix & Cleopatra is probably the one you're referring to. I believe she appears on The Son of Asterix and one or two more. Great cartoons. I had the complete collection at one time...
    You had the complete collection??? *drooling*
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

do you swear..

To those who think that swearing is just part of the alphabet or another form of normal expression. I ask you these questions: Do you swear at your boss, clients or children when you want to "effectively" get your point across? If not, then you need to apply the same reasons why when "expressing" yourself here.

Also when being politely asked not to(whether in a forum or in social situations, it is appropriate manners to politely say ok.

It means you should want someone to "think" that you are dumb knowing in your own mind that you aren't, rather than to say something (like you have) and let them know that in fact you are really dumb. "Let them think what they want, for I know the truth."

Quote Originally Posted by fayefaye
    You had the complete collection??? *drooling*
    Yeah. I lost a few ones (the last ones published, the last ones I bought). And then I loaned two which weren't returned to this day. Still, it's a pretty decent collection.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shell
    To those who think that swearing is just part of the alphabet or another form of normal expression. I ask you these questions: Do you swear at your boss, clients or children when you want to "effectively" get your point across? If not, then you need to apply the same reasons why when "expressing" yourself here.

Also when being politely asked not to(whether in a forum or in social situations, it is appropriate manners to politely say ok.
    I swore at my pc, many times..i swore at strangers who intentionally smoke in public places..obviously i can't get my point accros to these two "brainless" things

LOL @ sub.

Sometimes swearing can be appropriate... I wouldnt want a world where all is only politeness all the time... Of course it's a matter of sensibility and probably cleverness to know when to use the right way of expression...
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

well ,i rarly swear once i say the truth but no one believe me

Greetings

Greetings from a new person. It is pleasant to find a forum where people can exchange ideas (in a polite way). I look forward to exploring the site and participating in book discussions!
    Last edited by Rebecca East; 08-12-2004 at 10:14 AM.
    Rebecca, reader and sometimes writer.

Don't swear just find words that mean the same thing but in a nice way.

An opinion

2004.09.26 19:30(gmt+2)

5 minutes ago I have posted a thread titled "Treatise on Life." One of the main characters is a talking goat. In order to emphasize the oddity of a talking goat I, in the stead of stating that the goat (called Judas) looked at me, opined that "The goat ****ed me a beamer."

Upon later perusion, I noticed that the word ****ed now reads ***ked, and I thus changed it to co*ked, which still appears somewhat odd! ( c o c k e d me a beamer = pertaining to see or look).

I do support the administrator wholeheartedly, and thank him for rooting out willful swearing. However, if the intent is for a character to act according to his person, is it not possible that special permission can be acquired in advance from the administrator?

Myself being the moderator of three other forums, I appreciate the difficulty of such, and want to assure the administrator that should he decide not to let my "Treatise on Life" stand, it will be accepted as necessary.

Furthermore, I have unfortunately only read this thread pertaining to swear words after I have posted "Treatise."

Appreciatively your's,
    Prof.

In addition...

2004.09.27 19:45(gmt+2)

Complimentary to my previous post, it must be added that an administrator or moderator is under exceptional pressure regarding the safeguard of the site's intent. If only all the visitors adhere to such (intent), it might well be possible for the moderators to allow swearing, which will, ipso facto always be in context.

Unfortunately it is often a case of contributors pushing their 'luck." Thus the administrator is forced to adapt measures which also penalise those whose intent is most noble.

Of course there is a need for people to blow off steam, to let go with an expletive or two. But for that there are specific sites, or forums. I myself moderate one titled 'Insultingly Your's," where you only get deleted for being too "nice," or for demeaning women. Accordingly one must accept that utilising a specific site, obliges one to adhere to the rules of such.

Prof.
    Last edited by Prof; 09-27-2004 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Additional comment

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My very rudimentary understanding of this issue is, there is code used to recognise selected words chosen by Admin that he wishes to not see used here. It's across the boards, can't be selective, by member, it's an all or nothing thing.

I know a few get frustrated by this code when a selected words contains one of these words, or, is used in a seemingbly benign way, it still censors them. There's not much that can be done to get around this fact.
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast