Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Do Not Swear

Quote Originally Posted by Pensive
    I am strongly against swearing, especially in a public forum.
    Well, I will say that when I was 12, I came to know what **** meant and it created a lot of confusions in me. Now, I feel in a matter of a year, I have grown up a lot but still, it does not allow me to use strong words like **** or even words like b***s***
    Nobody wants YOU to swear, Pensive. You're a girl and too young, both of which would make swearing unseemly in you. Boys and adults are a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by starrwriter
    Nobody wants YOU to swear, Pensive. You're a girl and too young, both of which would make swearing unseemly in you. Boys and adults are a different matter.
    That seems a little sexist :\ just because girls are girls doesn't mean that they shouldn't swear. If they want to swear it's alright with me... but everybody has their opinions, and that's just mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCrash
    That seems a little sexist :\ just because girls are girls doesn't mean that they shouldn't swear.
    Certainly it does and I don't care if it's sexist to say so. Young girls with potty mouth are extremely unattractive. Pensive can wait until she grows up before she decides whether she wants to talk like a sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCrash
    just because girls are girls doesn't mean that they shouldn't swear.
    True - another example of how patriarchy constructs gender.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    True - another example of how patriarchy constructs gender.
    If you think we live in a patriarchy, you must not be in a relationship with a woman.

I think Robin hit the nail on the head, Unnamable:
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood3000
    And this is not a debate thread, this is an administrative notice thread.
    The reason you got the response you did, rather than an open debate on the cause of free speech, is because this particular thread is not the proper forum for debate. If you want that, you ought to start your own thread and propose a discussion on free speech and authority. Any replies to this thread are generally assumed to be commentary on the No-Swearing Rule, not on the subject of swearing in general.

Your discussion style is very combative, which may be why you feel the responses you get to be personal attacks. If someone misunderstands you, you might try to give them the benefit of the doubt and calmly re-explain yourself, rather than getting angry with them. I'm sure no one here meant to offend you. Remember, a person can't misunderstand you if they don't first make an honest attempt to understand. Rather than being offended by a misinterpretation of your words, be honored that someone took time to consider them.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

potty mouth
    What an interesting phrase. It equates verbal obscenity with excrement, while maintaining an element of the child in its language. I'm sure Freud would have had something to say about it.

And please don't take that the wrong way, starrwriter, I'm not being my usual objectionable self. I genuinely find it interesting.

If you think we live in a patriarchy, you must not be in a relationship with a woman.
    Do you blame me?

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    Any replies to this thread are generally assumed to be commentary on the No-Swearing Rule, not on the subject of swearing in general.
    Surely the former is a direct consequence of the latter?

Blog Entries

Star - That is a quote for the ages. I will remember that forever. And I will use it as often as I can.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    Dear All,

Now that we have reinvented the wheel and concluded that:

a) Swearing is not allowed on this Forum,

b) This is NOT a thread to discuss whether swearing is acceptable in general but an annoucement thread posted by the Admin himself,

Please let's move on.

If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised here (eg language and swearing), please feel free to start other threads.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    Dear All,

Now that we have reinvented the wheel and concluded that:

a) Swearing is not allowed on this Forum,

b) This is NOT a thread to discuss whether swearing is acceptable in general but an annoucement thread posted by the Admin himself,

Please let's move on.

If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised here (eg language and swearing), please feel free to start other threads.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unnamable
    What an interesting phrase. It equates verbal obscenity with excrement, while maintaining an element of the child in its language. I'm sure Freud would have had something to say about it.
    Freud was a dirty old man. And excrement IS obscene. Just look in your commode the next time you finish taking care of business.

Happy holiday, Unnamable, from the Scatological Humorist (me).

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherazade
    Now that we have reinvented the wheel ...
    *Starrwriter rolls reinvented wheel around his apartment*
    Look, Scher. It's so much fun to play with.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    *Starrwriter rolls reinvented wheel around his apartment*
    Look, Scher. It's so much fun to play with.
    *knew Og the Caveman would enjoy the wheel*

Merry Christmas, Starr!

~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~