Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Language???

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar

What do you think about Language???

I've just been reading Translations by Brian Friel. In it, the character Hugh is dismissive of the English language, saying that it is a language of commerce, and not one of culture or beauty. Hugh's motives are complicated, and Friel in no way suggests that this is his view. But it got me thinking about the meaning of language in general.

What do you think? Is the English language just a tool for business? Is it just useful in getting where you want to go? Or is it a rich and beautiful language in its own right?
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Hmm, interesting question! I'd be inclined to think that the English language is what you make of it, but because it's use is so widespread it is most commonly associated with commerce, business and trade. That being said, the English language is the language of Shakepeare, Tennyson, Shelley, Milton, Donne, to name but a very few so I'm pretty sure there's some beauty and culture in there somewhere!

I think, as well, that it's often forgotten that the English language is comprised of words which have many and varied backgrounds, given the numerous invasions Great Britain has been subject to over the centuries - so as a language it has been built upon many other languages - latin, french, german, scandinavian etc, many of which will be associated with culture and beauty. So, if the language doesn't have it by it's own right, it's kind of still in there by default, or inheritance perhaps?!

So I vote a rich and beautiful language in it's own right (but I may be a little biased here!).

Blog Entries
    I tend to think there may be some personal bias in most people's responses.

Every language will have it's detractor's and English isn't an exception to that. There have been too many beautiful poems and other literary works composed in Engish to dismiss the language as simply a "tool", in my opinion.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Hm, English isn't my native language and so I can't judge but I can say that it's easy enough (so, it's an international language) and it's an advantage, it doesn't mean that English isn't a beautiful language. No, it is!

I find that the only problem with English (as my mother tongue) is that sometimes it can be taken for granted in lots of ways (as with any other language I suppose), as people often mis-use the language. In a way, because English is such a widely-used international language used for business and commerce, it lacks a certain glamour and romance associated with other languages, but I'm glad that you guys think that it can be beautiful too.

Do you think that any language is particularly more beautiful than others, or has more of a cultural significance?

I've always wanted to be able to speak Welsh, because my family comes from Wales, but some languages like Italian seem to be very glamorous.
    "The magic gave me insight, and you gave me a heart, but for all the heart and insight in the world, I am still a cat."

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    If this sort of thing interests you, lioness, I would really suggest taking a course on the History of the English Language if you ever get the chance...I took one and it really got me thinking about things like this. English really did grow and yet, simplify, over the years mostly out of a need to communicate across cultures of different languages. It's really interesting if you're into history...

As for me, I don't think English really sounds all that romantic or beautiful, but that might be because it's the only language I speak. I'm learning Spanish out of both want and necessity, and I have days where I feel expressing myself is easier in Spanish. If I ever master Spanish, I want to move on to French...then maybe Japanese for a change of pace Still, English is the most popular language in terms of how many countries it is used in, so it's more useful if you're a traveller or business person, definitely.
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannanigan View Post
    If this sort of thing interests you, lioness, I would really suggest taking a course on the History of the English Language if you ever get the chance...I took one and it really got me thinking about things like this. English really did grow and yet, simplify, over the years mostly out of a need to communicate across cultures of different languages. It's really interesting if you're into history...
    Thanks Shannanigan! I will try to find out more about said courses...

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness_Heart
    Do you think that any language is particularly more beautiful than others, or has more of a cultural significance?
    if you mean langue, then one can hardly tell which langue of a language is more beautiful, and maybe, can equate such beauty of an abstract system of rules to that of math, psychoanalysis, etc.
    if you mean parole, or the utterance, then the beauty of a language tends to be more subjective and culturally integrated, thus diversified. we have the saying "language is the carrier of its culture".
    There is no polite way
    of being happy

Quote Originally Posted by Shannanigan
    that may be said the change of the english language for cultural reasons in general-"a cultural significance".
    There is no polite way
    of being happy

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    duplicate, see below
    Last edited by PeterL; 02-13-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: duplicated

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioness_Heart View Post
    Is the English language just a tool for business? Is it just useful in getting where you want to go? Or is it a rich and beautiful language in its own right?
    That's a good laugh. English may not be the most beautiful sounding language, but it is the language with the largest vocabulary. With all of those words there are many, many shades of meaning that can't easily be expressed in other languages. English provides more opportunites for word play, from metaphor to punning, than most languages.
    Last edited by PeterL; 02-13-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

english is so messed up that it is full of awesome chances to make a play on words. i quite agree with what peter said.

Every language that exists is rich and beautiful in its own right.
    More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
    -Algernon, The Importance of Being Ernest

This is the true joy in life; being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one, and being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    That's a good laugh. English may not be the most beautiful sounding language, but it is the language with the largest vocabulary. With all of those words there are many, many shades of meaning that can't easily be expressed in other languages. English provides more opportunites for word play, from metaphor to punning, than most languages.
    How would you know? Have you studied so many languages that you are able to decide which provides the largest vocabulary?
    “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”- Robert McCloskey

read a poem or two

Hey, I take great offense to what he said there. Check out what I wrote. geocities.com/newportale If your short on time just read the poem that opens the story. What he said is obsurd. Neil Thomas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast