Thread: Count of Monte Cristo

Registered User...? = )

Count of Monte Cristo

OK, well, I was reading the unabridged version of the Count of Monte Cristo; It's the "Modern Library 1462 page version with the introduction by Lorenzo Carcaterra" and I came across something that confused me a little. Now before I ask my question, I'd like to add a little disclaimer saying that I haven't actually finished the book yet, so if the answer to my question will be revealed in a later chapter, a simple "You'll find out later = )" post will be just fine. I want to be able to enjoy this book for what it is, suprises and all, so spoilers would make me more than a little angry.

That said: In chapter 45 the Count is talking to his steward Bertuccio about a crime that occured in the garden that they are actually sitting in. They talk and talk and talk, and Bertuccio tells of a vendetta against M. de Villefort. About midway through the chapter Bertuccio tells of how he jumped from behind a bush and "plunged a knife into his [Villefort's] breast." Villefort dies in his garden, and Bertuccio carries his "thought to be deceased" infant away. I am confused because in chapter 49 "ideology", the count has a long conversation with the very M. de Villefort who was killed just a few short chapters before.

My question is: Which Villefort died? How many are there? Could it have been his father or a brother who was killed, or did Bertuccio unwittingly kill a servant of the very man he sought to eliminate? Any kind of insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time. = )
    We are always in a hurry to be happy, for when we have suffered a long time, we have great difficulty in believing in good fortune.

You will find out later. Just remember that Bertuccio is telling his side of the story.

Registered User...? = )
    OK then, that'll work. Thanks = )
    We are always in a hurry to be happy, for when we have suffered a long time, we have great difficulty in believing in good fortune.