Thread: High School English - The GOal?

Lightbulb High School English - The GOal?

What is the goal of english? To convey a message?
    If so, what if i find using ambiguous and long-winded metaphors unhelpful in achieving this goal, should I still be forced to write in such a style that I pretentious and unnatural?
    I'm currently taking grade 12 U english and this is the dilemma I am faced with. My teacher is into all that poetic and romantic sounding stuff. Even to the point that form overprioritizes function (at least in my perspective). Often-times, the text is just bloated with literary devices to the point that it's just impractical and hard to understand. It would only appeal to those librarian-old-lady types (which she happens to be).
    Does the problem lay in the fact my english is vastly inferior, being unable to intuitively use fancy metaphors to convey my thoughts? Does the problem lay in the teacher? What does the education system expect of students at this level? I've had english teachers in the past and none of them sounded so phoney and pompous as she... (don't get me wrong she's very nice)

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    I just finished 12 U english myself...might I ask, before I give an opinion, what texts did you/ are you read(ing)?
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

I think part of the answer is the same answer as to why should I take a math class like advanced algebra if I am never again going to use it? the answer is to teach you how to learn and to expand your mind. The other part of the answer, I would say, is that it is important to be able to understand varriouse types of literature and one way to make sure you know how to understand a particular type of literature is to make you use it.

If this has not helped you at all I appologise and leave you with simply my sympathy, I am currently taking a class in ancient greek grammar, yeah it sucks, but hey it lasts only a semester right? hang in there.

In my opinion it depends on the person. Your teacher likes that kind of language while you do not.
    That's why I think you should't get angry if she doesn't appreciate your style.....I mean, her opinion is not that important, even if she's the one who judges your works, and you'll probably find someone who has your same attitude towards English!!
    At least, this is my attitude when my Italian teacher gives us the compositions back and my mark is not what I had expected (well, to be honest, she usually likes what I write..), or when I can't understand the reason why she loves books I find boring!

I concur with the idea that learning new things will force you to think more critically and therefore continue to grow as a person. It's so much easier to limit your options when not taking the time to explore other perspectives. Persist and be confidant that you're being pushed to think beyond your own parameters... foster this and you’ll be a better person for it! Be sure not to lose your identity and drive to be yourself though.

yeah, some of my english teachers have weird tastes. its rather annoying and while i undertood the books i didnt do the work and got a D and a C in the class.
    sometimes you just get screwed and stuck with people who are so different that its hard to understand them or do the stupid work they assign.