Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Books

Cool Good Books

Can anyone recommend (with reasons) any really good books to read. I know there are loads and I just don't know where to begin. Anything relating to Dante's Inferno which I am just about to start might be good.

Grand Equal of Heaven
    A friend who has read Dante's "The Divine Comedy" has also been reading "Paradise Lost" by John Milton. I'm not sure how closely related they are, but he has been getting a lot of inspiration from both. Milton is quite difficult reading. I imagine it's suitable if you liked "Inferno", or the Bible.

I've never read any of them though (but I will)
    "Do I dare disturb the universe?"

- T.S. Eliot

Blog Entries
    I don't know too much about this inferno book, but if you like a good laugh and a little philosophy, I suggest the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy a trilogy in five parts by Douglass Adams. It is an amazing book that deals with Life the Universe and Everything (pun intended). Also I would suggest picking up a Stanislaw Lem book if your into Sci Fi, or even an Isaac Asimov book, specifically the history of Ibotics. I would also suggest the wars by timothy findley, not a bad wwi novel, kinda depressing though.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Boccaccio'sDecameron, was written around the same time as The Divine Comedy. I heard somewhere that they were friends, or Dante was Boccaccio's mentor; or something like that.

I'll second Milton's Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained. The fight between God and Satan is wonderful.

Chauncer's Canterbury Tales.

Dante had a big influence on James Joyce, and he is amazing in his own right.

I loved reading thr Hitchhikers Guide. It really is one of the funniest books i ever read. thanks for the other hints. Can you recommend a good Canterbury Tales, I can never find an unabridged version.
    "There's nothing you can say that can't be sung."

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    The Riverside Edition is good.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Try El Aleph, by Jorge Luis Borges. It's a great book, and two of the tales contain references to Dante's Comedy: La Espera (The Waiting or something like that, if you get the english version), y El Aleph.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Cassandra,

The Bridge by Iain Banks, Lanark by Alasdair Gray, Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, Ghostwritten by David Mitchell, The Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker, Wide Open by Nicola Barker, Last Orders by Graham Swift (also Waterland by him), Atonement by Iain McEwan, Spies by Michael Frayn: all great contemporary literature.

Tristram Shandy by Lawrence Sterne (centuries ahead of its time),
    Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
    Don Quixote
    Tom Jones
    Caleb Williams by William Godwin

all great lit from an earlier age.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well Cas, how do you define "really good books"? I read some books which I think really good like Sartre's trilogy (Age of Reason, The Reprieve, and Troubled Sleep)

For a lovely book about books and reading I would suggest Helen Hanff´s "Letters to a bookstore" - a genuin collection of her letters to an owner of a bookstore selling rare books. The friendship that grows between them while they write is fascinating. The book also gave me alot of tips on literature.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Blog Entries
    Cassandra, I'd second the reccomendations for Paradise Lost (Not for Paradise Regained, though), the Decameron, Certainly Tristram Shandy and Don Quixote. If you are interested in the laughter with philosophy category, i personally haven't found anything to beat Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanance and Lila
    I'm nobody, who are you?
    Are you nobody too?
    There's a pair of us, don't tell!
    They'd banish us, you know!

How dreary to be somebody!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear I'm surely an amateur in literature. I mean I read all posts and there are some books which sounds very interesting, yet I never even heard about

I've never heard of a few either. Thanks for the tips. I guess I've got my work cut out for me.
    "There's nothing you can say that can't be sung."

I usually have to fight for this opinion of mine but I think the Decameron is one of the biggest pieces of crap ever written in this side of the world...

I'm not sure about Dante and Boccaccio being friends, I have vague memories of them and I believe they might have met or anyway heard of each other, but the friends bit...uhm I'll check.

Now that you get me started on the Italian 1300s, let me tell you about Francesco Petrarca...he's mainly a poet and I love his works, not sure he's famous in translation but he influenced poetry for the next 5 centuries at least, not only in Italy.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

The thing with the Decameron is that after you've read some of it, you feel that you've read it all. After the fifth or sixth day, all the stories are the same.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast