Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If you're able to memorize a book word per word, what would it be?

ndl
    Molloy, by Samuel Beckett. I've memorized 3000 words = 7-8 pages.

Dante's Divine Comedy. It should be easier with rhymes and actually both Roberto Benigni and my university professor of italian seem to know it by heart. (I can remember just the first few verses of hell and something here and there)
    I agree with you, ranzy! It would be Dante!!!!
    but it is just a dream...is it possible to memorise the whole of it????
    I have heard about Roberto Benigni's show dedicated to the Divine Comedy and everyone said he sounded as if he knew it by heart....mmm.....

Some Koranic scholars memorize the entire Koran before their twentieth birthday, so I'd imagine it's very possible to memorize the entire Divine Comedy.
    More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
    -Algernon, The Importance of Being Ernest

This is the true joy in life; being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one, and being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Molloy, by Samuel Beckett. I've memorized 3000 words = 7-8 pages.
    Whoa, really? I'll check the book out.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's" - Dostoevksy

Harry Potter. Period.

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level
    remember a book read, remember every nuance.............. my choice would be EVERY book I have ever read.........and these would number in the thousands, many classics among them.......

What an exciting thought! One would never be at a loss for an appropriate word or statement at any conversation, and one could never avoid enlightenment no matter how well one delved to hide FROM it......................

Child of the Prairie
    If i could memorize any one book it would have to be Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice or Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities. Both are wonderful books.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, by Edward Albee. I have read that play 3 times, and I love more and more each time!!

If I had to choose an English book, it would be Paradise Lost. No other English books are so wonderfully and magnificently written. But If I could choose a book in another language, it would definitely be Céline's Voyage au bout de la nuit (Travel to the end of the night).
    Faire confiance aux hommes c'est déjà se faire tuer un peu.

Céline

The Iliad by Homer

I'd memorize the Kama Sutra of Vatsyayana which is a rad work that deserves careful reading and study considering it was written in ancient India, it also contains profound historical and anthropological insights into the customs of ancient India. I am no sex addict but i'd find it interesting, well the anthropological parts anyway. I would also memorize The Art of War by Sun Tzu, although id memorize and learn almost any book if i had the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    Finnegans Wake, just because it would be super impressive.
    I was thinking Ulysses myself. Or the Canterbury Tales.

well some people actually can flip thorugh a book and have almost perfectly memorised. wish i could do that. i cant really remember whole texts but i can usually get a pretty large amount of the story. much more than anyone i know, even after a single reading.

i'd have to say that i cannot choose which of the awesome books i have read to memorize. there are too many.

Is there LitNetAnonymous? Adudaewen's Avatar
    I changed my mind. I'd want to memorize the newest edition of Websters Dictionary and Bartletts Book of Quotations.
    "Who are a little wise
    the best fools be." John Donne

If a drop of water falls in lake there is no identity. But if it falls on a leaf of lotus it shine like a pearl. so choose the best place where you would shine..

account closed at request of user
    For me, The Holy Bible. No doubt about it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast