Thread: Winston Smith Character Quotes FOR EXAM!!! HELP klamklaDSMFLKml

Winston Smith Character Quotes FOR EXAM!!! HELP klamklaDSMFLKml

Yeah. I could really use some help here. I'm writing an English exam TOMORROW. It's one big essay question about 1984, either about the character or theme of the novel. We're being allowed to bring in our 1984 novels for our english exam and to attach post-it notes with quotes that we may want to use into our 1984 novels.
    I'm having alot of trouble finding quotes that relate to how Winston evolves throughout the story... I need quotes where it clearly states Winston's change of character gradually throughout the novel. If anyone could help me here or refer me to a website with Winston CHARACTER quotes, this would be highly appreciated. MY EXAM IS TOMORROW >_>

PLEASE... HELP... I'm running out of time, and I'm still having alot of trouble thinking up good thesis statements and preparing for my outline...

Winston’s point of view changes greatly throughout the course of the novel. Compare the things Winston writes in his journal, to what he says at the end of the novel.

Winston is aware that there is something wrong with the world he lives in. Winston cares less about himself, and more about righting the wrongs of the government.
    Ex: “they’ll shoot me I don’t care they’ll shoot me in the back of the neck I don’t care down with big brother they always shoot you in the back of the neck I don’t care down with big brother”

“If there is hope it lies in the proles”
    When in fear, Winston begins to change.

“‘Do anything to me!’ he yelled. ‘You’ve been starving me for weeks. Finish it off and let me die. Shoot me. Hang me. Sentence me to twenty-five years. Is there somebody else you want me to give away? Just say who it is and I’ll tell you anything you want. I don’t care who it is or what you do to them. I’ve got a wife and three children. The biggest of them isn’t six years old. You can take the whole lot of them and cut their throats in front of my eyes, and I’ll stand by and watch it. But not room 101!’”

Finally Winston completes his change. Big Brother has won.

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark mustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother”