Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Meaning of Life

The Meaning of Life

Hi there everybody...
    I'm new here...
    This appears to be a friendly place
    The meaning of life.
    Yes... A big question indeed.
    It is really amazing how everything seems to fit in place in this wide universe, and everyday we come to discover new overwhelming relations of causality and order between different elements in the process of nature (at least look at the way the soalr system works!); we see all that around, and yet when we come to the key question, the fundamental question to all existence altogether, we fall in loss!
    Let me ask you this question, before we come up with yet another speculation on what we think or wish the meaning of life to be .
    Why do you suppose you learn as a human, to find this question to be so persistant and compelling to the human soul? I mean, why is it that we are made, or that we exist in such a way that we find it essential for our very existence itself to have a reasonable meaning, even if that meaning was one that we made up for ourselves (and we never settle there!)?
    How come life, the universe, your very own heartbeat, are so well organized, justifiable and consistently reasonable in relation to each other, and you can see cause, meaning, destination, and value for everything that exists around you, and yet, you cannot even imagine what it is that all this is about, where it came from, what for, and where it is all going!
    Now on to another more important question.
    Why are you really here guys? I mean in this forum and the likes.
    If I am here to search for the meaning of life, then I - by necessity - admit that it does indeed have a meaning, an absolute meaning that is inherent in the process itself, and that has to do with its purpose of being and the reason it exists. But is this really the case with most of those who are in search for that meaning? Nope. They keep coming up with their own versions and speculations of what they think, or what they suppose that meaning to be!
    "Games, Sex, rock'n Roll"!!!! Oh, come on!
    Are you really satsified with the proposition that man came to this world, the way it is and the way he is, to reproduce (for example)? Why then where we not just little bugs reproducing? Or even trees or rocks just lying there in silence? Reproduction is part of the system, not a justification for the reason it is the way it is. Your have a reproductive system because you need this reproductive system along with every other system for the fulfillment of the reason why you are here! You do not have a reproductive system because you were made to reproduce! One can easily say then that we are here in this world to write, because we have hands that can write! Another would say we are here to laugh, because we have what it takes to do that! Oh and maybe we are here to practice theft and deception upon other human souls because we can do that too! If it suits you, and you have fun doing it, then it is readily your own meaning of life; your own truth!
    Does this make any sense?
    How come you say with certainty that you came to this world to do so and so, only because you like doing it or because it satisfies you? Well, this doesn't work for you my friend, because quite simply, you are still searching, aren't you? You keep trying one thing after another and yet, it is all the same! what today is your meaning of life, tomorrow will be history, and something else will take its glamour! If you decide today upon X, then Y is tomorrow a better candidate! And yes we have so many Xs and Ys to keep trying...!!
    It never fits! None of those Xs and Ys fits!
    Why then?
    Could it be, that the very concept of your choosing a meaning of your own for your own life and existence, and the existence of the universe, is a false concept in itself?
    Consider this.
    Are you the one who brought you to this world? Did you have any choice to come to it? Did anyone ask you before you were born if you liked to be born?
    I urge you to imagine yourself in a state of nothingness! Imagine what it would be like if you were never born! You cannot!
    You came to this world not by your choosing, in a state and form that was not after your choice, and in a condition of life that was not up to you to decide. You neve chose your mon or dad, did you? All those "truths" are facts that you came to the world only to find out about. So how come you claim that the meaning of all this is up to you to decide? You may indeed have a choice of what to do... but why?
    Why do I know choice and obligation? Why do I, the human being, care so much to find out what those hands, those ears, those eyes, those splendid organs and wonderful givens of life are all about? Is it all up to me to decide? Can there be so many "truths" about the very same thing? Do we have the rational right to claim that the reason why life exists is a relative reason; one that is up to every one of us to decide by his own mind, after his own choosing?
    This is the first fundamental basis here gentlemen if you really wish for this search to come to an answer that is The Answer, and for the truth to be what it is; quite simply; the TRUTH

I'm glad to be here to discuss this issue with you guys...
    However I would like you all to be my guests to this essay of mine.
    Please read it up first and tell me what you think ..

lunatic zen philosopher Triskele's Avatar
    the meaning of life is: 42

Your whole life is recorded on three dimensional video, (every action and every thought) for you and everyone else in the spirit world to watch for whole of eternity and beyond.

So you better hope you have had some good times.

Albano Laziale, Italy / Pennsylvania, USA
    Blog Entries
    . . . dang it, Triskele, i saw the title of this thread and was going to post the exact same thing!

oh well, look like I'll actually have to be serious instead. First off, those are good questions, Anonymous, and welcome to the forum.

We are always searching for meaning in life because everybody has a drive to be individual and to feel that their life matters. this drive is what fuels all events in the world and every day, if you think about it. If we don't have a purpose in life, than we are all the same, made only to live and die and turn oxygen into CO2; and nobody wants to think about that. we may not have any purpose in life - but then what would be the use of living? if you get right down to it and ask yourself that question, you have to make a decision about whether you can live from day to day as one meaningless speck in a giant and uncaring universe; if life is good enough to keep living on its own merits - the experiences and happiness it brings. that's a hard thing to accept. so people are always searching for a larger purpose, also because it seems strange that the entire world, universe, and life would have come into being just for the purpose of passing time.

also it's interesting to think about other aspects of this problem . . . you've obviously thought a lot about the philosophical, but consider the psychological: it's perfectly possible that everything we see, feel, hear, touch, whatever, could be an illusion. it's called "qualia" - the individual ways we percieve the world. if you think about it, right now, i could be typing to an absolute construct of my imagination. I could not even have hands to type with, or a body; i could just be imagining them all, just like i do when i sleep, animating a body that does not move in the "real" world! everything is subjective. It's an interesting point to consider.
    No day but today

-God is real, unless proclaimed integer-

Carpe Diem

lovingly in his eyes, snugly in his arms, safely in his heart...
    I love this thread. I strongly believe that one needs to know why one lives, in order to appreciate the actions of living.

I found my purpose of life in the Quran/Koran, where Allah[God] says: "I have not created humankind except to serve Me"
    And in Islam, there are many prescribed ways to serve Allah, and the result of thus of course is in the afterlife: heaven or hell [depending on one's choices in this life]
    Islam, Christianity, and Judaism are very close with regard to this topic, as all three faiths stem from Abraham [Ibrahim].

And so, I guess one's life takes on more meaning when one knows that there is reward or punishment to be had at the end of it all. This guides choices and actions in an unbelievable way.
    Those are just my thoughts on it...
    "My warm hands have made the paper limp,
    So that its feel reminds me of slept-in sheets: comfortable and safe"

"All these things I say... I say them because I want you to know, I don't ever want to regret afterwards that I didn't say enough, I would rather say too much." ~ Samuel Selvon

Triskele & mir... I'm pretty sure that you can know the question or the answer (42) but you can't know both.... Unless you are a dolphin or a mouse. I'm not sure they ever found out either.

Victor Frankle wrote a book called "Man's search for Meaning" based on his life in a concentration camp. The subject being that even under the cruelest conditions, when many would consider otherwise, people find reasons to live on. My favorite quote from a Buddhist monk is "what is the meaning of a flower?" Your essay delves into some of the reasons people have contemplated and some great facts about the puzzle. When you think about it, 42 is just as acceptable as any other answer. The whole qualia sounds sort of "Matrix" like to me but not out of line with eastern thoughts on the matter. So which is it the blue pill or the red? How fun!
    Last edited by Orionsbelt; 02-06-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drealthing View Post
    Your whole life is recorded on three dimensional video, (every action and every thought) for you and everyone else in the spirit world to watch for whole of eternity and beyond.

So you better hope you have had some good times.
    I didnt sign up for this. Who do I sue for using my image without permission?
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    I didnt sign up for this. Who do I sue for using my image without permission?
    Sacha Baron Cohen
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

What is "The Meaning of Life"?

It's a movie by Monty Python.

Next question, please.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annonymous000 View Post
    Why are you really here guys? I mean in this forum and the likes.
    Some says there was a God who made us, others – we are a product of evolution, could you believe in this? After all this is the important thing – to believe in something. The truth is after believes. I can’t imagine that one day we will know for sure the answer of this question and that means we have had, have and we will have only the speculations on it. Then if we want the answer we just have to decide which one we like most, to pick it up of the great pile of hypothesis we have in our minds and clothe it with religion or philosophical system.
    Currently reading:
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

well, at the moment I'm having similar 'problems' with life as you. My conclusion, so far: you have to life, and not seeing yourself living. And that is what I do.

Somewhere following my genetic imperative playing Chutes and Ladders with Time.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
    the meaning of life is: 42

Awww, you're too quick. I was going to say that.

I honestly don't know, but this is an interesting thread to read. I really don't think there is a "meaning". We're an accident.
    Last edited by Lily Adams; 02-16-2007 at 08:08 PM.

Tomorrow always holds the promise of something new and exciting. I am the Jetsons meet the Flintstones.

Banned
    life is meaningless. we are the ones that give it meaning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperborean View Post
    life is meaningless. we are the ones that give it meaning.
    I like this thought. The idea, that humans themselves give meaning to the life and the world surrounding them has ever appealed to me.
    Currently reading:
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast