Thread: got a essay to write "in your opinion, what is the first manifestation of evil"

got a essay to write "in your opinion, what is the first manifestation of evil"

I got a prompt to write in my high school senior comp class. its opinionated, so it don't matter... I think the first manifestation of evil, is you, your self.. what do you think?

dazzle your classmates and tell them to be evil is to be alive.

That's a hard one as I do not believe in evil or sin, or good for that matter. They are simply concepts derived from our perception of what positively or negatively (evil would be a degree of negativity) affects us personally.

On the other hand, it can be said that evil manifests in the soul of man. We don't see this concept anywhere else, in my opinion.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. ~ Norman Cousins

Little book worm
    An interesting reference for an essay like this might be Blake's Marriage of Heaven and hell? It encompasses some of the ideas you're discussing!

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries

READ CONRAD!! (Longest short book ever, but useful)

I agree with the idea that the first manifestation of evil is from oneself. If you'd like more background, have a look at Hobbes' theory about the basic human condition and potential to do evil. Then read Conrad's Heart of Darkness. If it doesn't make you belive that all humans are born evil, I don't know what will.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Or...You could form your own Opinion of what constitutes "evil"

Your darkest moment, what of that and what behind, makes it linger in your mind?

No longer confused... Lioness_Heart's Avatar
    I think that a good thing to read if cosidering good and evil is Paradise Lost by Milton. It's really thought-provoking in the way that it makes you sympathise with Lucifer.

Rousseau's ideas are also quite important to consider (he thought that a child is a blank slate and that their early experiences make them who they are). This idea is used in Frankenstein, with the creature starting off 'benign' (to use a favourite word of Mary Shelley) and then turning into the 'daemon' that Victor Frankenstein assumes him to be. This also ties in with Paradise Lost, with both Victor and the creature identifying with Lucifer at differnet points in the novel.

Procrastinator General *Classic*Charm*'s Avatar
    Leaning on this broken fence, between Past and Present tense
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Your darkest moment, what of that and what behind, makes it linger in your mind?
    That's a lovely verse.
    I'm weary with right-angles, abbreviated daylight,
    Waiting for a winter to be done.
    Why do I still see you in every mirrored window,
    In all that I could never overcome?

Blog Entries
    The first manifestation of evil could be selfishness.

Make up your own mind though and do some research, it's hard to write an opinion paper if you haven't gathered information and made up your own mind about it.
    Lost in silence.

The general ramblings and mutterings of a starving artist:http://www.online-literature.com/for...p?userid=27522

I would say that the first manifestation of evil is choice. To make a conscious choice to do something “not right”. This can be looked at religiously or simply morally. Many would argue that anything done out of maleficence by choice is inherently evil. Making a choice to do something that could harm oneself or another human being would normally be thought of as evil. Plato would argue that the choice to do any injustice could be the strongest manifestation of evil.

I think Evil is a concept created by Humans. It doesnt exist anywhere else like among animals for example.

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    envy, jealousy, covetousness

You could go all out and dive into Dante's Inferno, define evil through epic definitions, or you could go for a more Alex Ross approach, and define evil as nonexistant, and as a human observation (as mentioned above).

The birth of the human race I believe has somehow cultivated the notion of morality (good and bad). "Evil" originates from the self-imposition of specific boundaries (limitations), by man, over human behaviour and actions. This has inevitably provoked an intense desire, passion and furor, to provoke and challenge normalcy for supremacy.

Just a random thought.

Josh