Thread: Jane Austen

Jane Austen

Hey! Am doing a dissertation on the novels pride and prejudice and sense and sensibility. I have a few ideas on what my questions could be but I was wondering if you lot had any ideas. The help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! : )

Smile Jane Austen

hey everyone, i'm taking an intro to literature class this spring and i think we might be reading jane austen's pride and prejudice. I hope u guys will help me out when i have any problems with the class.

Something about family might be interesting. It's a very important factor in both novels on both a personal and social level

lovingly in his eyes, snugly in his arms, safely in his heart...
    I never read 'Sense and Sensibility', but I have studied P&P in great detail. For me the thing that Austen brings out with great precision and clarity is the different types of husband/wife relationships there are. THink about it:
    Mr & Mrs Bennet [the nagging ignorant wife & the tolerant educated husband];
    then there's Bingley's sister & bro-in-law [he does whatever she wants him to do];
    then's there's Jane & Bingley [who are just in love]
    there's CHarlotte and Mr Collins [the marriage of convenience]
    Lyddie and Wickham [the elopement]
    and ultimately Liz and Darcy [the well balanced couple, who love one another inspite of one another!]
    I hope that that helps!
    "My warm hands have made the paper limp,
    So that its feel reminds me of slept-in sheets: comfortable and safe"

"All these things I say... I say them because I want you to know, I don't ever want to regret afterwards that I didn't say enough, I would rather say too much." ~ Samuel Selvon