Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Book You Bought and Why

Blog Entries
    Female Chauvenist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture

This book was featured on Fresh Air and it sounded like a good read. I like it so far.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    the last book I bought and I swear this is its name
    A very short, Fairly interesting and reasobly cheap book about studying organizations i thought it might be useful for my essay.

Is that the one that starts with Alexander the great? if it is its so full of mistakes on the first page alone that I wanted to get it withdrawn from our library or scribble down the side c***P! this person obviously knows nothing at all about his sources and has no idea how to research!

I hope its not though...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0572030258
    ...I hope it's not the same one...the pages I've glanced at so far have seemed okay...I had best check closer...

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Blog Entries
    I bought the first in Anthony Trollope's Palliser Series.

It's called Can You Forgive Her?

I bought it because it came highly recommended by Idril, whose opinion I trust.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Blog Entries
    Well it would have Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell on the 26th--Christmas gift card from my second son Daniel and this entry then would be cool

B U T

Yesterday picked up an ordered copy of a reprint of Secret Agent X: Legions of the Living Dead from the Sep 1939 issues (#18) which Wildside Press is reprinting stories from----"X" is no where in the Shadow's league but I've liked him a LOT better then the Phantom Detective. As I get older I read more 'fun' stuff then heavy--except for the Biblical commentaries I read from time to time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpspur View Post
    Well it would have Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell on the 26th--Christmas gift card from my second son Daniel and this entry then would be cool

B U T

Yesterday picked up an ordered copy of a reprint of Secret Agent X: Legions of the Living Dead from the Sep 1939 issues (#18) which Wildside Press is reprinting stories from----"X" is no where in the Shadow's league but I've liked him a LOT better then the Phantom Detective. As I get older I read more 'fun' stuff then heavy--except for the Biblical commentaries I read from time to time.
    cool! Secret agent x! ...

...have you checked out the new Phantom release?

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0572030258
    ...I hope it's not the same one...the pages I've glanced at so far have seemed okay...I had best check closer...
    **puts on the "Im afraid that..."library assistant face**
    *Im sorry to tell you dear it is note the bit where it says the quaran callas alexander the 2 horned and obviously that means hes evil? Well the thing is koran says and the two horned, he was truly a man of God.
    now my point is if the man can look to the end of the sentance how sure are we about the rest of the book??

ahhh Im late Ill find the proper quote later but its worth comparing just to see how much of a mess the man made

EDIT: ok if you want to look it up yourself the man should have refernced it The Qua'ran 18:83-18:98. (18 being the chapter called el kahf or the cave if you do look it up) oh and zulquarnain, Dhu'l-Qarneyn, or Zul-qarnain. however they choose to spell it is the same thing means 'he of 2 horns' . Actally when I look at it we dont know its Alexander the great all we know is that this was one of the 'wise kings' andfor some reason scholars have come to the conlclusion that its alexander the great but since the book you have actually refers to this but somehow managed to take a wise noble and kind king and change it to wicked tyrant I dont know
    Last edited by Nightshade; 01-09-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: found what i was looking for
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Quote Originally Posted by Idril View Post
    Oh, that's a good one. I think you'll be pleased.

But I want to know, it is pronouced Trol-up as in a woman of ill repute or Tro-lope with a long 'o'? I prefer to think it's the later.
    I am informed by the page director at my library and a former English major (which is all to say, my boss), that it is in indeed the former. She claims, however, that he would have been almost dead, if not already so, by the time the word came into wide use, so it would not have mattered much. Doesn't stop me, however, from having my fun!

**edit**
    Oh yes, I believe I remember coming across it in a dictionary as well which gave the former pronunciation.

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    Dickens' "The Pickwick Papers," "A Christmas Carol," and "Oliver Twist" becase I am taking a class on Dickens and we are going to read all of those PLUS "A Tale of Two Cities" by the end of April (yay! I HAVE to read unabridged literature...what a class!)

and I bought "Invisible Man" by Ellis for myself because it was mentioned in my African-American literature course last semester and it sounded good...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    She claims, however, that he would have been almost dead, if not already so, by the time the word came into wide use, so it would not have mattered much. Doesn't stop me, however, from having my fun!
    Well, that's good for him but what about his poor descendants?!
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

The other day I bought "Jekyll and Hyde" because I saw part of the movie, and now want to read the book. I also bought " 'Tis: A Memoir" by Frank McCourt, because I'm currently reading "Angela's Ashes" and can barely get my nose out of it.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann

Just bought 2 books:
    Fiction : The Wind up Bird Chronicle - because I love Murakami
    Non-fiction : In Praise of Idleness, Bertrand Russell - because Russell has to be one of the greatest modern philosophical thinkers and his words are worth reading

The outsiders by h.g. wells I bought it for school and has not yet came. It sounds like an instering book from the title.

Blog Entries
    Collected Stories of Saki -- Hector Hugh Munro (Saki). I didnt buy it, as it is a gift from my brother, I am looking forward to reading it...
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

Blog Entries
    I bought a biography about "Nureyev", one of the greatest ballet dancers in history, from Amazon. I also bought a book I found in Barnes and Noble, on the reduced shelf, called "Glorious Britain - Places of Legend . The cool thing about this book is it is made up of old sepia prints. It is devoted to homes and locations of famous British novelists and poets, such as Austen, Hardy, Shelley, Shakespeare, the Brontes, etc. It really attracted my attention, loving British authors/poets so much from that era. The pictures are truly priceless and hold history in the pages of this interesting book. One can imagine just how these authors lived and perceived their surrounding and how their environments greatly inspired the plots and subjects of their books.
    Last edited by Janine; 01-20-2007 at 03:30 AM.
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

November by Gustave Flaubert ... because it was at 50% off! And I do want to read more of Flaubert's works, having been favorably impressed by Madame Bovary.