Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110115116117118119120
Results 1,786 to 1,798 of 1798

Thread: Last Book You Bought and Why

I recently bought the new Penguin edition of The Scarlet Letter. I'm glad I did. It's not that expensive, and it's worth owning this book.

Eiseabhal
    Not at all Ennison, us NT fellows were well renumerated. Cha robh Barney ach SM. I've got the one with me to thank for The Miniaturist, which is excellent. I have been dipping into Cuimhneachan. I agree with what you say

Traveling to the big land tomorrow. Not sure what to take. There's plenty to read where I'm going. I'm taking some library DVDs as this is the only time of year I indulgence in such decadence. Saw the new version of Sunset Song yesterday. It was pathetic. I thing I'll throw in Their Eyes Were Watching God and We Have Always Lived in the Castle. No weight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiseabhal View Post
    I buy books in lumps. Site Works , The Retreat: Hitlers First Defeat, The Miniaturist, Cuimhneachan, A Clash of Kings (not for myself that last) That's the most recent lump. An army pension and good cattle prices mean that I have cash to spare.
    I have The Miniaturist, but where can I find good cattle prices?
    ay up

I was given a miniature of Abhainn Dearg for Christmas. It'll go in the collection I think.

Plato's republic. I've been meaning to reread it for a while, and the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps made me see Plato in a whole new light.
    'So - this is where we stand. Win all, lose all,
    we have come to this: the crisis of our lives'

Last book I bought ?

"Life of Thomas Hardy Vol 1: 1840-1891" by Florence Emily Hardy (1928)

Why ?

Because I collect Thomas Hardy biographies..

I bought it from a second-hand bookshop in Southport, Lancashire.

It was 'Room' by Emma Donoghue. Simply because it was three pound in clearance at my local bookshop and I wanted something to read whilst I was having a drink in a coffee shop. I hadn't actually had time to read a full book for pleasure in a while - ironic because I was studying songwriting and consider myself a literary artist. Meaning I like to write songs about other stories e.g The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-bG04B1CWU)
    Anyway, not only was Room an incredible book, but of all the books I could have randomly chosen it felt like FATE. Towards the end it quotes my favourite Emily Dickinson poem, which just so happened to be the basis for my first official single called 'Soul Society': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1v7...&feature=share - I even ended up holding the book in the video. As you can probably tell from reading this, I like a good universal link or sign.

The last book I purchased and read, cover to cover, of course! is "Edward Rochester: Master of Thornfield Hall" by R. Q. Bell which is available for Kindle at Amazon. It is Rochester's story... and it was fabulous! Having been a Jane Eyre fan for many years, taught it and reread it over and over again... I had always wondered how Edward Rochester managed to tell himself what he did was acceptable. And this book definitely explains a great deal. The ending was poignant and brought tears to my eyes. Great read!

I've read this book before. It's a great read if you're into things such as science fiction. Sometimes I read summary of books at ssays and decide to read book or not

The collected works of William Butler Yeats

Cause I wanted some Yeats poetry.

I bought Love Medicine and The Round House, both from Louise Erdrich.

I only got exposed to her last year through a short story, but it made me want to read more from her. I was going to go for The Round House, a fairly recent (2010?) release that had won the National Book Award, but then somebody lent me her earlier book, Tracks, which is part of a connected set of stories focusing on a few families over generations. Tracks made me want to read more from that world, so I got Love Medicine, her acclaimed first book to scratch that itch. But I still wanted to read The Round House...so I got that, too.

Not that I'm on a binge, mind you. I've read a few books since Tracks and will take 3 or 4 novels between The Round House & Love Medicine.
    Last edited by Whiskeyclone; 05-03-2018 at 03:16 PM.

"For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway.
    It's actually the first of his books I have ever possessed. I went through a few pages in the bookstore and was really intrigued; I had to buy it and soon I'll start it too.