Page 1 of 120 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Book You Bought and Why

Last Book You Bought and Why

Well, I suppose we might as well have this discussion.
    The idea for this thread is, um, rather self-explanatory, so, without further ado, I shall begin...

(The what)
    The Way We Live Now - Anthony Trollope

(The wherefore)
    I've rather enjoyed what I've heretofore read of the unfortunately-named Trollope, and am informed that this is one of his best. Plus it was just big and inviting. I was seduced.
    Last edited by aeroport; 01-08-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: expansion of title

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Just got a trio of James's!

Daisy Miller
    Washington Square
    The Europeans

Why?
    1) Inspired by avid James fan, who coincedentially started this thread too
    2) Why those particular ones? There were the only bloody things available by James at the shop
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Blog Entries
    hmmm...it would be three...for some reason I tend to buy books in threes...not sure why?, but what the heck!

okay so last book(s) I bought:
    Tyrants of History, Serenity, The History of the Computer.

reason(s):

tyrants: well, just a good reference for research and believe it or not...game design.
    serenity: Joss Whedon is a genious who's skill for tv is unequelled (well atleast for the series Firefly...buffy wasn't so hot, nor was angel)
    Chronicles of Riddick: well...recreational...bathroom reading...also, I work as an IBM Helpdesk guy, so I have some spare time (nightshift)

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Blog Entries
    1. East of Eden
    2. Self help book to learn Spanish.

Why?

1. I had finished reading Kite Runner and was looking for a new book to read, I browsed the litnet book club and this was the book that came to my attention again and again.

2. Dont ask me why I bought it But I thought it will be nice if I learned a new language. I bought the self help book to see if I get interested in this language, so far I have just learnt how to say Good Morning, Afternoon and, Night. Very bad progress I say....
    Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.

Be the change you wish to see

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    the last book I bought and I swear this is its name
    A very short, Fairly interesting and reasobly cheap book about studying organizations i thought it might be useful for my essay.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw View Post
    okay so last book(s) I bought:
    Tyrants of History

reason(s):

tyrants: well, just a good reference for research and believe it or not...game design.
    Is that the one that starts with Alexander the great? if it is its so full of mistakes on the first page alone that I wanted to get it withdrawn from our library or scribble down the side c***P! this person obviously knows nothing at all about his sources and has no idea how to research!

I hope its not though...
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

That would be...

"Cell" by: Stephen King

Firstly: I'm actually more of a writer than a reader; however, I realize that One can only grow from where he choses to go... you know? So, therefore, I set out in search of a new book whilst I roamed the vibrant halls of Fred Meyer. Mr. Meyer, not possessing a very vast selection, had me searching rather finicky. I intended upon buying a fantasy novel; however, there stood the upright novel of "Cell", looking shining because of the reflecting invitation. Knowing Stephen King is a rather remarkable fiction writer, I chose to buy this book rather than the others.

Secondly: I had money
    Infestations... there is no telling how far an overgrown insect like the human species might strive.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

A Opened Grave by L. Frank James. Sherlock Holmes goes back into to investigate the ressurection. Couriousity about the book's content was why I bought it. It's causing a bit of a debate.
    Last edited by Pendragon; 01-08-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

"Short stories of the 19th century"...- why?...Well first I had to buy myself a book/ I have entered the bookstore,so couldn't help it/...We do not have very much of a variety of choice of books in English here -most were already in my library, so I decided to buy a collection, it gave me access to more writers...
    Se puede matar el hombre
    Pero no mataran la forma
    En que se alegraba su alma
    Cuando souaba ser libre
    They can kill a man/but they cannot kill the way /his soul rejoices/when it dreams/that it is free
    A folklore song from Venecuela

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    Hmm...erm..I can't remember if I went to the bookstore first or Amazon, lol...

Bookstore: "Witch" by Christopher Pike...because I had a giftcard and I haven't read in a loooong time and I remembered I used to like Pike. And "A Stroke of Midnight" by Laurell K. Hamilton because I still had gift card money left and I like to escape my boring life with sexy fantasy novels

Amazon: "Rookie Teaching for Dummies" because of a recommendation by someone in the Teacher's Forum on this site, and another book I can't remember the title of, but it was along the lines of an "English Teacher's Companion" because I plan to start student teaching English soon...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Taming of the Shrew.

Why? Because I wanted to participate in the Shakespeare book club reading.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

From Blake to Byron

The Pelican Guide to English Literature (part 5)

Why? I found a heaven of books infront of me.. Suddenly I chose it.. this is it..
    Last edited by Poetess; 01-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.
    I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death. - Robert Fulghum
    Je Chante Une Chanson Sombre
    The Lady of Mine - Opinion please
    A tragedy crept to the name Bathory

Blog Entries
    Team of Rivals: the Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (Doris Kearns Goodwin)

Because: I've had my eye on this book for a while. Abraham Lincoln is posthumously awesome.
    '...A cast of your skull, sir, until the original is available, would be an ornament to any anthropological museum. It is not my intention to be fulsome, but I confess that I covet your skull.' --Dr. Mortimer, The Hound of the Baskervilles

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post

(The what)
    The Way We Live Now - Anthony Trollope
    Oh, that's a good one. I think you'll be pleased.

But I want to know, it is pronouced Trol-up as in a woman of ill repute or Tro-lope with a long 'o'? I prefer to think it's the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanislaw View Post
    Serenity
    There's a book?!

The last couple of books I bought were White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov and that I bought because I have grown very fond of Bulgakov and the other book was No Ordinary Summer Pt. 2 because I read part one and now it's time for part 2.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Blog Entries
    Today i bought a 1911 edition of Synges Well of the Saints, from an antiquarian seller. I already have Deirdre of the Sorrows in the same edition. If i can find the rest, i'd be happy! It cost me 45 Euros though!

Same seller is going to have a look at a my Poetical Works of Thomas Moore from c1900. It possibly has Count John Francis MaCormacks Signature in it. Apparently he had a habit of signing all the books in his personal collection. Only Difference is, is that if this sig is genuine, it would be worth more than the others because he's famous for singing Thomas Moores poems etc. All about association. fingers crossed!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath.

I have to read it for my American Lit class, and I can't stand to read anything of any length out of those enormous anthologies. I've been meaning to read it anyway (along with the rest of the long list secreted away in my wallet, and the tall stack of the results of my used book store hauntings next to my bed).
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Page 1 of 120 1234561151101 ... LastLast