Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Purpose of a Religious Life

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Oh yeah, I forgot.

We live in the best possible world, don't we?

Everything's fine. The sun is shining and you can just smell the coffee!
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

YOu didnt answer my questions
    So tell me....Where is Atheism when it hurts?
    What are we suffering from?
    It may seem 'obvious' but what is it?
    What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world but lose his soul

What do you want? a list?

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Atheism is an honest approach to life. When 'it hurts' atheism won't be there comforting you with false hopes. It won't be offering you comfort on the condition that you believe.

I once went to a memorial service for a railway disaster in my area. During the service, the vicar went on and on about how thse without Jesus in their lives suffered terribly from the loss of their loved ones, whilst those with Jesus in their lives were able to take comfort from him. Callous b*st*rd that he was! An atheist would not be saying such nonsense.

We are suffering from false promises, from hope of a never-becom ing future, from impossible expectations, from oneupmanship, from religious conditioning, from delusions, from lack of concern, from nature red in tooth and claw, from people playing on our consciences, from manipulation, from war, from abuse, from the idea of a loving God, from the way the world is, from you and me and everyone else.

Impressive indeed (I'm just being cynical) I was hoping to find something through those 4 pages...

I believe in one thing. One God that created the heaven and the earth. If every cell in your body is there to fullfill a purpose. dont you think that this huuuuuuge elegant universe has a universal purpose???

ninety-nine percent of this huge, elegant universe is a vacuum.

Maybe that's were the elegancy is.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Bittersweet,

There is no purpose to a religious life, other than as a comfort blanket.
    Last edited by atiguhya padma; 02-18-2004 at 08:46 PM.

And Bittersweet, what might your proposed purpose be, other than some anthropocentric baloney.?
    Last edited by atiguhya padma; 02-18-2004 at 08:47 PM.

YOu know its funny sometimes how you guys want to reach out and make me smell the rose while cutting my nose in the process...We ought to talk with more respect for each other

How does a non relgious life explain
    meaning-no meaning? apart from continuation which is eventually meaningless
    morality- what is evil? what is suffering? Evil to one man may be justice in the eyes of another?
    destiny- What is the security of the atheist? You say i have a 'false comfort'...but tell me...what are you comforted by? the comfort of knowing theres no real comfort? Wheres the comfort in that?
    origin- Sir....are you just DNA brought here by accident? Are you simply dancing to its music? Theres no love in DNA....its just a bunch of chemicals which ought to fight to survive....yet..yet we risk own lives at risk to save others

I think we make the fatal mistake of assessing the failed man instead of the Absolute God. God said that 'my kingdom is not of this world otherwise my disciples will fight' yet some men continue to fight.YOu know me as a christian am responsible for my actions. I am given the coat of Christ to represent him. Sometimes we dont do a good job. That doesnt mean God has failed. We have.

Sufffering sir is a tough question for anyone...but sir...how do even justify suffering if there is no God? Doesnt the question start to not make sense? What is good?

Sometimes itll take us much pain to come to God and realise him in our lives.

Sir life is beautiful...yes there is pain....and yet somehow looking through the eyes of God...we see the grass greener. DO you?
    Take comfort my friend...give God a chance

“If we present man with a concept of man which is not true, we may well corrupt him. When we present him as an automaton of reflexes, as a mind machine, as a bundle of instincts, as a pawn of drive and reactions, as a mere product of heredity and environment, we feed the nihilism to which modern man is, in any case, prone. I became acquainted with the last stage of corruption in my second concentration camp, Auschwitz. The gas chambers of Auschwitz were the ultimate consequence of the theory that man is nothing but the product of heredity and environment - or, as the Nazis liked to say, "of blood and soil." I am absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.”

- Viktor Frankl (holocaust survivor)

Joshil,

Are you for real????

You're not much better than Littlenani. Why don't you give Allah a chance?

Are you for real or being sarcastic on why i dont choose allah?

No I'm being for real. Please tell me. Why haven't you given Allah a chance?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast