Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Purpose of a Religious Life

Purpose of a Religious Life

I'm sick of most of the threads in this section so I'm making up one of my own.

There was a discussion in General Discussion dealing with the purpose of life. I would like to talk about the purpose of life from a Christian or any other religious perspective.

Is the point of a Christian life simply to worship the Lord? Or to be a good person? What are your thoughts?

Jonus
    Whatever happened to peace on earth?

Re: Purpose of a Religious Life

Originally posted by DumbLikeAPoet
    I'm sick of most of the threads in this section so I'm making up one of my own.
    Hey, that's the best reason I've ever heard. Really.
    Originally posted by DumbLikeAPoet
    There was a discussion in General Discussion dealing with the purpose of life. I would like to talk about the purpose of life from a Christian or any other religious perspective.
    Is the point of a Christian life simply to worship the Lord? Or to be a good person? What are your thoughts?
    I don't believe that a christian life (I would include mine it that categorie) is simply about worshipping the Lord in any way. I'm sure he doesn't need it and I don't know if he wants it (all the time I mean). Of course, if you're christian, it makes sense that you do it (by going to church, by praying, by following the principles, etc.), but I don't believe that to be the main purpose. Where would free will enter in this equation otherwise?
    Probably, I'm more inclined to the "be a good person" thing. It's difficult, it takes your entire life to do it (either become one or keep being one), and it's self rewarding.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Purpose of a Religious Life

Originally posted by crisaor
    Hey, that's the best reason I've ever heard. Really.

I don't believe that a christian life (I would include mine it that categorie) is simply about worshipping the Lord in any way. I'm sure he doesn't need it and I don't know if he wants it (all the time I mean).
    I think it is about worshipping. Someone once told me that everything you do should be done as an expression of worship. I agree that God doesn't need worhips, but I do think that God wants people to always worship Him.

Of course, if you're christian, it makes sense that you do it (by going to church, by praying, by following the principles, etc.), but I don't believe that to be the main purpose. Where would free will enter in this equation otherwise?
    Somehow I think there is no such thing as "free will' in Christianity. It is obvious, if you follow the rule you will be sent to the good heave and if you don't then you'll be doomed forever! And that principle is implied in every aspect of life.

Re: Re: Re: Purpose of a Religious Life

Interesting question. I´m not a christian. Not anymore. When I was I used to believe that the purpose of my life was striving to be closer to God, closer to infinite love, closer to whatever purpose God had made for us. Like a child jumping to reach the stars, forever out of reach. Trying to remember love in evrything, trying to let it be a part of thought and action. Since that might sound pompous, or worse, selfrighteous, I want to make clear that I did not suceed.

Originally posted by subterranean
    Somehow I think there is no such thing as "free will' in Christianity. It is obvious, if you follow the rule you will be sent to the good heave and if you don't then you'll be doomed forever! And that principle is implied in every aspect of life.
    I thought that the free will was a central part. I thought of the striving is a free choice, every second of it an action of will. My greatest contestent in this is my other will, based on other motives, like anger or pride or plain despair. Unconditional love is not an easy thing. It´s not a simple solution. It hurts, but so does the absence of love.

I think it is about worshipping. Someone once told me that everything you do should be done as an expression of worship. I agree that God doesn't need worhips, but I do think that God wants people to always worship Him.
    Worshipping, for me, was a way of giving thank and praise for the joy of it all, the pain of it all, for life and purpose. I did not see worshipping as the purpose on its own, more like a way towards the unknown goal that only God could fully comprehend.
    Perhaps, in the end the striving and worshipping can become one?

I used to read this part often.

I Corinthians 13 (Revised Standard Version)

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.

So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Re: Re: Re: Purpose of a Religious Life

If everything that I do is considered as an expression of worship, then I'm fu**ed.
    Somehow, I don't think it's that obvious. I mean, if you take two different parts of the bible, chances are that they contradict each other (specially if you compare the old and the new testament). I don't think it's as simple as you say it is.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Many people believe that freewill is essential to Christian belief. Can anyone quote a passage of the Bible that directly and specifically refers to freewill as essential?
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

I think it's an implicit thing. If God really wanted people to worship him all the time and/or never stray from the path set to them, there would be little or no free will whatsoever.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

<If God really wanted people to worship him all the time and/or never stray from the path set to them, there would be little or no free will whatsoever.>

So God wants people to stray from the path set to them? You mean he wants Santa, I mean Satan, to lead people astray? I can feel a conspiracy theory coming on here...

A path set to them? This sounds a little deterministic, don't you think?

Personally, I've never understood why Christians don't all pray for God and Satan to be pals again. After all, wouldn't that then solve most of the worlds problems, if they could just settle their differences? And you know, I'm sure they could do it too, if they put a little effort into it.

If there was some kind of celestial arbitration council, possibly set up by the angels and a few of the more friendly devils, who knows what might happen? I'm sure it's really just a communication problem, some silly little misunderstanding that could easily be settled over a good bottle of wine or something. There would of course be the problem of what to do with hell, but hey a good landscape gardener, a sufficient amount of palm trees and white sand, a modification on the heating system, and before you know it, Heaven Mark II.

Oh and that reminds me, could someone tell me why an infinitely intelligent being wants a personal dialogue with us humans anyway? I mean imagine you had an IQ of say 195, and everybody else with an IQ over 30 was wiped from the face of the earth. Can you imagine how sad that would be for you? I mean, I'm not knocking low intelligence here, but wouldn't you want to create at least one human being with an IQ similar to yours, if you had the power? Now imagine what it's like for God? And whats worse, is that all those that believe in a personal relationship with him, natter on about stuff he must already know every time they talk to him. In addition, does anyone actually ask him how his day was? Does anyone actually take the time to listen to some of his concerns?

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Originally posted by atiguhya padma
    So God wants people to stray from the path set to them? You mean he wants Santa, I mean Satan, to lead people astray? I can feel a conspiracy theory coming on here...
    Is that supposed to be serious?
    - Jorge Luis Borges

God still loves satan
    Yet satan is still
    Quite rebellious
    This is satan's will

he wants to be God
    Not to be with him
    satan wants us all
    to just live in sin

To join him in hell
    It was made for him
    He tries to convince
    Us to live in sin

Can we know the truth
    Using our own mind?
    Being so finite?
    Will it just unwind?

Can you take a book
    And just open it
    Read any sentance
    And choose based on wit

In light of the whole
    Based on what we know
    We cannot choose right
    We need God to show

The meaning of life
    If you want to know
    Ask the creator
    And the truth He'll show

You can live your life
    Making your own way
    But will you gamble
    On the price to pay?

I will not ask a question
    That has no conclusive end.
    I cannot expect an answer
    From an imaginary friend

Too right, I will live my life
    Simply making my own way
    You see, to join the flock of sheep
    There's a dreadful price to pay.

You suggest that the truth, you
    Being finite, you can't find.
    In this case, it would seem to me,
    That you seldom use your mind.

God did not reveal to us
    This truth in his holy book
    And when Pilate asked the Preacher
    Jesus merely turned his back

So who made Hell for Satan?
    Who knew what he would do?
    And who placed the fruit in Eden?
    Then told Adam of it too?

And who could have saved the lives
    Of over six million Jews?
    But instead just watched their slaughter.
    The God of Love that's who.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by atiguhya padma
    Personally, I've never understood why Christians don't all pray for God and Satan to be pals again. After all, wouldn't that then solve most of the worlds problems, if they could just settle their differences? And you know, I'm sure they could do it too, if they put a little effort into it.
    This is the impossible task. Some said there's no such thing as IMPOSSIBLE thing that God can't do. Actually there is. Of course if you're reffering to TAOISM , then it's not an impossible thing. But when it comes to Christianity, well till the end of the world, the two parties will never settled their problems.

And that's why I often think that there's no free will in Christianity.
    I remember one verse that more or less mean like "you can't stand in the middle, either u bad or good." Somewhere in Revelation I guess.

"Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure rather than pain "

Its true...mans goal from a christian point of view is ...life is meant for worship....i sturggled quite abit with this simple answer until read Ravi Zacharias' 'Can man live without God'...

THe dude used a secular framework and used it to uniqely blend in something so...beautiful.....worship

For life to have meaning there must be certain things present
    -wonder
    -truth
    -love
    -security

i wont spend time explainin how it all fits in....ill recommend you to read the book......

I know that some of you deny the very existence of.....my question to you would be....do you even want God to exist?....would his existence bind you in the way that you want not to be bound?....

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult, and left untried.

In my existence if ive learnt something it is this...he is why i live...i dont lie when i tell you that life would have to purpose without God...what would be the purpose of laboring and struggling on in life...wouldnt it be much easier to end it all and have nothing to worry about?....

check out www.rzim.com...alotta resources there

http://rzim..com
    What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world but lose his soul

alright, mr smarty-pants . . . I've got yer question right here:

do you want santa claus, pixies and bigfoots to exist? cuz I don't think it matters whether you want something, that's just common sense . . . santa claus, pixies and bigfoots do not exist (but then again, more people have seen that big hairy ape than who have actually seen god, so it just goes to show ya). but I'll tell you what, when I used to ride my bike down eight-mile road and through the ghetto, I was never more hopeful that god existed . . . but never more certain that he didn't. can you blame me for not believing?

heh, I found a quarter on the curb today. maybe god wants me to buy a soda pop.

I'll have to find three more, first.
    Last edited by star blue; 02-06-2004 at 02:43 PM.

Star Blue,

Really like your reply. Made me laugh (especially the bigfoot thing - good point)

Atiguhya Padma

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast