Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Taming of the Shrew: Induction I and II

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    You know, Red, I didn't catch on to what you meant when I first read this. Now I see.
    Thanks. I made this point in light of some I will be making as we progress deeper into the play. Althought the play - on its surface - appears to be about the perennial "battle of the sexes," I think there's more to it, and that the idea of "choosing" one's identity will play a crucial role. More on that later.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Vesta Luna View Post
    I am on to Scene 1 & 2, but still very curious about this induction. It seems very dismissive on the BBC film maker's part to delete it.
    It is frequently done since it seeds stage difficulties. Do you keep sly on stage distaracting the audience from the Kate & Petruchio the whole time? When or how do you get him off? Do you go back to him later? Since there's no scene available for it what does one do with it? A lot of directors just eliminate it, but I think it can have a lot to add if you bookend the play with Sly somehow. There's no evidence that Shakespeare did this, but I would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Can you point it out Night? I don't see what you're talking about. Sly is supposed to be drunk i think.
    He begins speaking in verse. you can tell because of the capital letters at the beginning of his lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzeppelin View Post
    The book (a present from Mom for Christmas) is entitled "Shakespeare" by Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, the Man Who was Shakespeare. The author's name is Mark Anderson, ISBN# 1-592-40103-1
    Make sure you follow it up with Irvin Leigh Matus' excellent book, Shakespeare: In Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Redzeppelin View Post
    I love Marlowe too (nobody has answered my thread question on Marlowe! ), I think he was dead too soon. Ever read The Reckoning, by Charles Nichol? - it's an investigation of Marlowe's death. Fascinating.
    Yeah. Confirmed athiest and homosexual, spying for the English government in continental Europe is called back by the Queen and stabbed through the head by his own bodyguard. Had he lived, this may have been a Marlowe reading series instead of Shakespeare.

X
    He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot. ~ Douglas Adams

Are you allowed to extend the part of the Induction? If you can't do it verbally, I'd certainly have Sly and his 'wife' go off to bed with the others at the end (well, not actually with them if you get my meaning). However I think that's sort of implied in Act 1 Scene 1, when Sly wishes that the play was over though he praises it (presumably so he can enjoy some 'alone' time with his 'wife')

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234