Thread: romeo && juliet helpp. please!

intotheunknown

Post romeo && juliet helpp. please!

i have an assignment that is due very soon.

&& im bad at this stuff.

okayyyy. soo i need::

• 3 different examples of personification in the play.
    • similes && metaphors where romeo describes juliet's beauty.
    • && a simile that juliet uses to describe the suddenness of their love.
    • at least two different examples of foreshadowing IN ACT FOUR.
    • at least two different OTHER examples of foreshadowing in the first four acts.
    • What is ironic about that love affair of Romeo && Juliet, killing Tybalt, and Friar Lawrence's role in ACT FOUR?? what are some other ironies in the play?

if u can answer ANY of these questions ((or even like half of one question)) that would be fan-freakin-tastic..! && i would def. love u forever!! =D

Hi there -

Although the offer of never-ending love is appealing, I'd feel rather guilty as a teacher just handing you the answers to these questions. I've not been a member of the forums for a long time, but generally, when questions such as yours come up, many of the forum members will ask if you've read the play - because the kinds of questions you've asked are answerable if you've read the play.

If you know the definitions of the figurative language you've been asked to find, then they should be easy to find (Shakespeare uses figurative language EVERYWHERE). In terms of your similies for/by Juliet, check Act 2.2.

If you've read the entire play, then - knowing as you should how the play ends - you should be able to go back and find hints that pointed to events that unfolded as the play moved towards its conclusion - that's foreshadowing.

Since irony involves the occurence of action/language/situations that produce outcomes almost exactly opposite of those reasonablyassumed/intended, all you need to is look at the people you've mentioned and examine what about their role/choices in the play produced outcomes that were 180 degrees from their intended desires.

Hope that's helpful - good luck
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

[QUOTE=intotheunknown;309030]SEE WHAT A SCOURGE IS LAID UPON YOUR HATE, THAT HEAVEN FINDS MEANS TO KILL YOU JOYS WITH LOVE. AND, I FOR WINKING AT YOUR DISCORDS TOO. HAVE LOTS OF BRACE OF KINSMEN. ALL ARE PUNISHED

I NEED TO FID THIS QUOTE IN THE BOOK ROMEO AND JULIET

You've misquoted slightly, and the line is at the end of a larger speech, which might be why you are having trouble finding it. This quote is spoken by the Prince at the end of the play - Act V, scene 3. The Prince's full line (I put your quote in italics so you can find it) is:

"This letter doth make good the friar's words,
    Their course of love, the tidings of her death:
    And here he writes that he did buy a poison
    Of a poor 'pothecary, and therewithal
    Came to this vault to die, and lie with Juliet.
    Where be these enemies? Capulet! Montague!
    See, what a scourge is laid upon your hate,
    That heaven finds means to kill your joys with love.
    And I for winking at your discords too
    Have lost a brace of kinsmen: all are punish'd."
    Arlene Schulman
    Stage Director / Dramaturg / Cockeyed Optimist
    "Lord, we know what we are, but know not what we may be."... Ophelia

one metaphore of fomeo comparing juliet bueaty is when romeo says "it is the east and juliet is the sun"

can somebody tell me if the line "it seems she hangs upon the cheek of night" is a example of a simile from romeo and juliet

The quote "it seems she hangs upon the cheek on night" is not an example of a simile. A simile is comparing things using the words like or as. The quote would either be an example of a metaphor or personification. An example of a simile would be "it seems she hanges upon the cheek of night like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear" (1.5.48-49)

I am writing an analysis paper on the play. The paper is about one of the many themes and how shakespeare uses rhetorical devices to show that theme. The theme that I have choosen to write about it that pointless violence causes pointless death. How does shakespeare use rhetorical devices to prove or show that theme? Thanks for the help!