Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: books you've read at least 2x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpspur View Post
    I tend to read pulpish type books a couple of tinme or so. Off the top of the head:

Most of C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblowr books
    That was a book series??? I've seen the movies, they are really good, the books should be even better ^_^
    "...thought is the arrow of time, memory never fades."

Is there LitNetAnonymous? Adudaewen's Avatar
    I usually read books until they fall apart. I have like 6 bookshelves in my house, just to give you a hint. I have re-read the following at least 5 times; The Lord of the Rings, Dracula, 1984, The Hobbit, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Predjudice, Braveheart, Jurassic Park, the Harry Potter series. I really could go on and on.
    "Who are a little wise
    the best fools be." John Donne

If a drop of water falls in lake there is no identity. But if it falls on a leaf of lotus it shine like a pearl. so choose the best place where you would shine..

1.Niezsche's "Thus said Zarathustra" required a second reading; without neglecting the fact that I first tried to read it at the age of 15, I was particularly impeded in understanding some points in the philosophy itself. Its technical brilliance was absorbing and not quite assisting my efforts to understand the work...
    2.Crime and punishment - 3x...this was a mania
    3.The Golden Bowl-2x- after all I am a foreigner...This work of Henry James was just my Cerberus in my study process for the SAT, not to mention how it caused me a depression for a week, for I had to read every sentence twice...
    Se puede matar el hombre
    Pero no mataran la forma
    En que se alegraba su alma
    Cuando souaba ser libre
    They can kill a man/but they cannot kill the way /his soul rejoices/when it dreams/that it is free
    A folklore song from Venecuela

I've read most of Angela Carter's novels more than once, The Magic Toyshop is my favourite and I can read and re-read it as it has a kind of timeless quality to it. Captain Correlli's Mandolin because it has a bit of everything, drama, love, comedy, death and war; The Time Travellers Wife which is a top-notch albeit slightly obscure love story and makes me cry more each time I read it; Mr Golightly's Holiday, because it is so gentle and timeless.

I find that I re-read things less now than I did when I was a child, perhaps because there are more books available to me as an adult. I definitely read and re-read all the Chronicles of Narnia books until they became dog-eared when I was younger. Now I like more variety but that being said there are some stories which are as profound and touching every time you read them.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Like Whiff says any good book is worth re-reading. I would take it even further. Any good book requires re-reading if you really want to understand its structure and craft.
    Strongly agrees.

Well, I've read all the Harry Potter series innumerable times already.
    Goosebumps too, 3 years ago.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - twice
    Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman - twice
    The Picture of Dorian Gray Oscar Wilde - twice

I've got to read LOTR again. (I just read the whole series once because they were just borrowed.) It takes a rereading for you to be able to comprehend and memorize the characters. Man, they are confusing! I once assumed Celebrant was Elven. Idril told me it was a darn river.

I've still got to go through lots of books but there are still more new ones waiting on my (and Toni's) shelves.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's" - Dostoevksy

I would love to read the book by Elie Wiesel (it's one of Oprah's favorite) and John Steinbeck's too. Also that ever-famous 1984. I feel like I don't belong because I still hadn't read this.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's" - Dostoevksy

Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac - It always makes me feel so good
    Neuromancer - William Gibson - Each read is a new experience
    Guns of Navarone - Allistair Maclean - I've reread this every 5 years or so since I was about 15

Am I only supposed to name works by folks featured on this site? If Jules Verne is here I can put several of his books in this category. Oh, and The Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway--close to perfect imo.

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Maybe im the only one on the forum who has never re-read a book
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

behind the sky on the other side of the rain
    I usually don't re-read books because I find that the feeling you get when reading it for the first time is gone the second time around. I think the only books I have read more than once is Pride and Prejudice and The Catcher in the Rye.

Pride and Prejudice because I love it and Catcher in the Rye because I feel that I have to read that book every so often at different stages of my life...I might learn something new from it...
    "Deep in the fundamental heart of mind and universe...there is a reason."

- Douglas Adams

Blog Entries
    To Brainstrain--I was going to PM you but the computer would not allow so here's the lowdown on Hornblower by C.S. Forester:

Chronological order:

1. Mr. Midshipman Hornblower Published 1950
    2. Lieutenant Hornblower 1952
    3. Hornblower and the Hotspur 1962
    4. Hornblower and the Atropos 1953
    5. Beat to Quarters (USA title) 1937
    6. Ship of the Line 1938
    7. Flying Colors 1938
    8. Commodore Hornblower 1945
    9. Lord Hornblower 1946
    10 . Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies 1958
    11. Hornblower During the Crisis (unfinished due to Forester's death) and also contains 2 short stories: Hornblower's Temptation and The Last Encounter (which is the last Hornblower story in chronological order and a fitting epilogue to the series 1966/67

I discovered Hornblower by way of the Gregory Peck movie and (on TV) as a pre-teen and devoured the series. I currently own the books in the Pinnacle editions (paperbacks from the 70s with superb covers, Bantam did some great ones too)

Forester also published the Hornblower Companion giving insights to his writing/creation of the characters--excellent reference for would be writers to study for writing tips alone but the creative process. Publsihed 1964.

Happy reading --most libraries should have the series. Bernard Cornwell is reputed to have created Richard Sharpe to help fill the loss of good historical adventure novels.

One final note I have read somewhere that a Naval expert read the series with the idea of checking for naval inaccuracies in the ship/sea battles and could find none.

Rich
    Last edited by mtpspur; 01-04-2007 at 02:58 AM. Reason: It's not the spelling it's the typing//title correction

Blog Entries
    I once re read A Passage to India 9X.

These days, as a teacher of literature i have to read more than once.The most rewarding books to do this with have been:

Wuthering Heights
    The Grass is Singing
    Tess of the D'Urbevilles
    Animal Farm

Like others have said before me, I read books twice because I enjoyed them. It's always a good experience to pick up new things that you didn't really notice before, or think about it in a different light.

Other times I read books twice because the first time I didn't really pay attention, and the books failed to grab me. An example of this would be the time I read 'Northanger Abbey' and enjoyed it 50 times more than the first time. Other times I don't even finish the book and later decide to try it again.

Blog Entries
    If I read a book twice or more, it's usually for one of these two reasons.
    1. pure enjoyment
    2. necessity
    The Harry Potter books are so effortlessly entertaining that I could read them over and over. I've read the lot about 3 times and found them just as page-turning the 3rd time as I did the first.
    As for necessity, an example might be the Anthony Burgess book I'm currently weeding through a second time. There are certain authors I like to reread for both clearity and nit-picking all the 'below the surface' ideas I missed.

Let's see:

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    Brave New World - for school
    Romeo and Juliet - for school
    Antarctica - Journey to the South Pole (at least 3 times for fun)
    Second part of Antarctica
    The Stranger - for understanding
    Notes from Underground - for understanding
    Macbeth - once again for school
    Run (Eric Walters)
    Soldier X
    To Kill a Mockingbird

and some more I can't re-call at the moment.

The Count of Monte Christo by Dumas - three times
    The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien - three times
    Around the world in 80 days by Verne - twice

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast