Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eragon vs Harry Potter

I agree with hannah because all the Harry Potter books have their strengths and weaknesses.

yah i cant see a true winner between both books if you compare it all, the authors for example have completely diffent writing styles along with a huge age difference which might mean different writing habits. Even though the books are on similar topics they still differ greatly its hard to pick one side or the other with all the varibles inbetween
    Sickness and healing are in every heart; death and deliverance in every hand.- Orson Scott Card

yeah, it is hard to compare two different authors with different writing styles, who's books also vary in content

Yah it is hard to compare so many books to each other because they all are different and some HP books are better then others but a real comparison would be the 7th HP and the 3rd Eragon.
    Davidson K Harley

lol you guys are pretty much saying the same thing in different words so we pretty much agree on that
    Sickness and healing are in every heart; death and deliverance in every hand.- Orson Scott Card

Paolini has never had a original thought in his head. His writing lacks the humor and charm that make Rowling's work so entertaining; at best he writes glorified fan-fiction.

oooo harsh words EAP....
    friggin dialup

I acctualy like his sense of differing novels it has some nice and well thought out opinions

I like both books very much. But I will have to say I am more into HP. Then again for Paolini being such a young writer I have to give him props. But honestly I liked the HP books a bit more than Eragon and Eldest. But BOTH are very good reads!

LPRox015 ~ Linkin Park Roxxxx!

I am currently reading Eragon and it's hard for me to give assess appropriately after having taught lower level English classes for a semester. As I read, the fact keeps tugging at me; he was the same age as my students when he wrote this! Why can't I have had a student like that! That's probably why I'm enjoying it so much.

EAP, Rowlings writings are not very original either when you come to it. There's borrowed stuff all over the place. Paolini does this too. It's they way that they put it all together that make great stories.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Wow

I recently finished Eragon, halfway through Eldest now, and I most say, I love Paolini's style. He's awesome :]

I have always liked the Harry Potter books, having read them well over 20 times each (Yes.. I'm THAT sad... I love to read the same book over and over and over.... )

However, they kind of get a bit repetitive after a while; You always know that someone is going to die, that the book will generally always begin with Harrys birthday and all ends well. (Okay.. I've been a bit general but my mind doesn't serve me well at this time )

However, Eragon has proved to be brilliantly written, full of action and drama. I truly loved reading it, and felt that Paolini's writing was fantastically advanced for his age. I'm 18 and there is not a chance in life that I could even attempt something so advanced even now, never mind three years ago (hen again... I'm not a writer )

Overall, I'd have to say Eragon, mainly because I think the plot line was great I also like fantasy works as a whole, and actually lved the similarities that Eragon had with other works, such as Lord of The Rings etc

EAP, Rowlings writings are not very original either when you come to it. There's borrowed stuff all over the place. Paolini does this too. It's they way that they put it all together that make great stories.
    Give me examples of borrowed stuff from Rowlings' novels please. There's a difference between inspiration and straight out copying. Tolkien was inspired by Kalevala and the Edda's, resulting in the creation of middle-earth. Rowlings' was not the first to combine magic and modern world (scores of urban fantasy writers going back to antiquity), neither is she the first to postulate the idea of a wizarding school (Diane Duane among others had already been there), what she did was create her own unique variation on the theme, with concepts and twists never seen before written in a style which is easy, accessible, mature and humourous.

Anyone who has ever read more than a couple of epic fantasies + Star Wars + Tolkien can see where Paolini's story comes from. His characters are flatter than a pancake, his plotting is cringeworthy, his dialogue would make the writer of Eye of Argon wince, the less said about 'prose' the better; he's about as skilled a wordsmith as Gregor Clegane.

If Eragon is the staple of excellence in the modern world than 99.9 percent of published novels are Holy Books.

If you think Eragon is written brilliantly than there isn't much I can discuss with you - expect perhaps suggesting that you read Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire and Dune to see what real brilliance in speculative fiction is. (not to mention understand the derivativeness of Paolini's story)

Woah, calm down! I think my idea of borrowed stuff and yours maybe a bit different. I was thinking of Harry Potter as the same theme as Oliver Twist; orphaned boy in terrible surroundings turning out to have a grand history that pulls him from that atmosphere (yes, I understand that Oliver is a terribly flat character compared to Harry); or all the mythology and history she incorporates into her story.

I've read Lord of the Rings. I happen to be an adamant Tolkien fan. I definately not saying that Paolini is on par with Tolkien. I'm currently only 80 pages into Eragon, so I haven't been able to accurately assess his writing. All I'm saying is that so far he presents a good story, I'm enjoying it, that's that. Maybe I can take up this arguement with you when I've finished the book. Right now, I'm thinking about what Paolini may turn out when he gets to be the age Tolkien was when he published LOTR. I'm looking forward to it.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Woah, calm down! I think my idea of borrowed stuff and yours maybe a bit different. I was thinking of Harry Potter as the same theme as Oliver Twist; orphaned boy in terrible surroundings turning out to have a grand history that pulls him from that atmosphere (yes, I understand that Oliver is a terribly flat character compared to Harry); or all the mythology and history she incorporates into her story.
    Thematic similiarity (questionable in this particular case anyway, since the only thing Oliver and Harry have in common is orphanhood) and mythological influences (not many in Rowlings' case, most of it is just clever word play) do not count as borrowing.

Okay, here we go (with the help of sparknotes and my own hunting).

Harry's scar - borrowed from the Odessy; resembles a badge of honor

Minerva - Roman Goddess of wisdom for McGonagoll; I saw her statue in the Shambles in York. She was next to a pile of books, as her character represents book study and knowlegde. (That's why she contrasts with Trelawney)

The Tempest- Other than Oliver Twist (have you ever read it? They share more than orphanhood) I saw an interesting theme parallel in this play. When Prospero leaves his island he leaves his

not done hang on,
    Last edited by Shea; 01-25-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: accidental post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast