Thread: Sartre's "No Exit"

Sartre's "No Exit"

Would you please tell me :

Why did Sartre write " No Exit " ?
    I mean what was the social background of this drama? And which social issues encouraged Sartre to write it?
    Im not looking for the meaning of existentialism, just social elements please …
    The faint blaze of the candle of my life ,
    Slowly dying like a fire in a pouring rain,
    No sparks of hope inside
    No shooting stars on my sky
    On broken wings , no flying high …

Well, it seems to like about this:

There´s no EXIT if you dont want to believe in anything. Sartre did not. Camus did not. Both of them create nobel-class literature, but still they´re a quite... how i say? They look the world thru the drinking straw.

Sartre very famously and somewhat Wilde-ly said "Hell is other people," and to understand No Exit (published as Huis Clos, which translates as "in camera"), one must fully comprehend that quote, including beyond its humorous attributes.
    I do not think I fully understand the first question, as to "why" Sartre wrote No Exit, and, if you could elaborate, I would appreciate it, atena 63, but in terms of the social background of the play, doffing existentialism, it appropriately debuted in 1944, towards the end of World War II, and I have heard the play once analyzed as representing the seemingly few individuals of the French Resistance against Germany, even if they disliked each other, quite literally within a "hell," after Germany took control of France in the early-1940's; describing Sartre's position in Paris in midst of WWII, undoubtedly, as hell and damnation, I would have no question he would agree. Whether or not Sartre intended this message of No Exit seems questionable, but, nonetheless, very relevant.
    In a more literal and psychological, less sociological, sense, I feel this "in camera" perspective functions as a glimpse into seemingly quite ordinary people confessing their awful acts committed during life, objectively explaining their placement in hell, but somewhat humorously placed in the casual environment of a hotel. While the anticipation of the classical depiction of hell (fire, brimstone, torture, and such nonsense) fails them, they realize that hell, in all its misery, merely consists of the company of other people; this does not disappoint them, of course, but it subtracts from the Hedonic displeasure of what they expected, and more cerebrally contributes to a more psychological hell. The irony of why no one leaves when the opportunity arises, towards the end of the play, blatantly identifies the general fear of the unknown; though hell had presented itself as a non-torturous, but still very real psychological hell, the fear of the unknown had proved greater, not making hell any the more comfortable, but more recognized.

Let me clarify my intention with some similar questions:
    I'd like to know which social, cultural, or historical elements motivated Sartre to write "No exit"? did the society in which Sartre lived affect him?
    Why he wrote it? What is the connection between this drama and his society at that time? Can we consider it as the mirror of his society?
    Are there any tinges of social issues in this drama?
    No sparks of hope inside

Quote Originally Posted by atena_63
    Let me clarify my intention with some similar questions:
    I'd like to know which social, cultural, or historical elements motivated Sartre to write "No exit"? did the society in which Sartre lived affect him?
    Why he wrote it? What is the connection between this drama and his society at that time? Can we consider it as the mirror of his society?
    Are there any tinges of social issues in this drama?
    In that case, I would certainly stick with the former argument I put forth of No Exit making its first appearance during the very latter period of WWII. In the beginning of the war, Sartre fought in the French military until Germany overtook France in 1940 or 1941 (I cannot recall precisely), and living in such a hell-like environment, a country (France) and city (Paris) one calls home, destroyed, overtaken, and ruled by the Nazi regime, I can imagine, it at least gave Sartre some motivation to compose something like No Exit; if it did not motivate him, I would think it almost safe to say it practically compelled him, as an active member of the French Resistance with Camus and de Beauvoir.

Thank you so much for your help mono.
    No sparks of hope inside