Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eragon vs Harry Potter

Eragon vs Harry Potter

i want to know if people think eragon or harry potter is a better book and back up your opinions with good facts.
    Davidson K Harley

I think that the too books, although similar in genre are very different. The writing styles differ in many ways, though the stories have obvious similariites in that they are both fantasy books featuring young characters confronting a more powerful nasty bad *** evil.
    Harry Potter is written by a much more experienced author with a more mature writing style. The emotion conveyed through the writing is very powerful. I get really wrapped up in whats going on and dont want to put the book down. However in the later books they get very depressing, which ruins the whole effect. For example in the 5th book, it was just harry being pissed off the whole time. Although a something bad has to happen in order to set up the conflict, you cant let your story get bogged down. The entertainment factor goes way down.
    Eragon: In terms of pure entertainment, Eragon is probably a winner. The first book especially is full of action and generallly, is a happy story. It is noticable however that the author is not quite as experienced, probably because he was 15.....Writing techniques that really give a book depth and emotion are sometimes lost and i didnt find myself caring at the points of peak. The action though was great! It wasnt a book to leave kyou bored and ery dynamic in structure. There are the obvious parallells to other plots, particularly Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. It has less originality as H.P. The second book drags on a little bit, and gets depressing. Again, its the whole struggle between light and dark, the stuff where eragon drains the life out of everything around him.... and then Galabatrix messing with the dark magic that ur not supposed to use because its dangerous and evil, i dont remember exactly but its something along those lines....Eragon sticks to the the light, murtagh gets evil, in the end he will get all sad and not kill his brother, turn on galabatrix, give himself up to the light and DIE. all that said, its still a great book, and i bet the books will get better as Paolini becomes a better author.
    friggin dialup

I don't think either of the two are that fantastically written in terms of style. If I were forced to choose between the two though, I would probably go with Potter.

Harry Potter has an edge over Eragon in that its plotline is more developed and more mysterious (for lack of a better word). Eragon's plot can be guesstimated and is much more simplistic. We all know that somehow or other there's going to be another dragon hatching, and eventually all the people of the Varden will gather to defeat Galbatorix.

In terms of character development, Harry Potter still stands above Eragon - you know the distinct personalities of Ron and his entire family, of Harry and his relatives (Uncle Vernon & co.), and you know the headmasters and their attitudes. Comparing the vast amount of knowledge you know about the personalities of Potter characters with what little Paolini offers of key characters such as Arya, you'll realize that you simply don't see the characters with as much "depth" in Eragon.

Content-wise, Eragon also falls short. Huge chunks of Eragon's brother, Roran, is a feature that bores readers (in the second book of the trilogy). Placed next to the adventures that Eragon is facing, the sudden switch in main characters and scenes (from excitement to boring sea voyage) is clumsy and adds a hint of annoyance to the reading. Furthermore, all this time it builds tension and an increased expectancy for Roran to have a major significance or role in the story - but what happens when he finally meets up with Eragon? Not much.
    Last edited by Silv; 12-26-2006 at 06:49 AM.
    “I thought what I’d do was, I’d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn’t have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody.”

- Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye

Je ne pense pas donc je suis.

P.S. Discussion on 1984 - Share your thoughts, please?
    online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21159

Blog Entries
    Yeah but you have also got to take into consideration that Christopher Poalini the Author of Eragon was only about 17 when he wrote the book and J.K. spent many years tweeking an improving the because she had the time to as apposed to having school work to deal with as well. shes also much older and maturer and it shows in her work. but both books are enjoyable easy reads. Now if the question was 'Which is better, Harry Potter or Artimes Fowl?' It would be fowl. Much more imaginative and it has a quirky sense of humour.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

True, but I didn't take into account his age because often times you don't judge how a person writes based on their age. :P
    “I thought what I’d do was, I’d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. That way I wouldn’t have to have any goddam stupid useless conversations with anybody.”

i really think that both are eaqually good reads but eragon was just easier for me to get into in the first chapter. Although Harry Potter has longer books allowing more detail plus reading time, takes a little longer to get into but still more detailed.

P.S. Props on starting a good thread david
    Sickness and healing are in every heart; death and deliverance in every hand.- Orson Scott Card

Quote Originally Posted by Silv View Post

Content-wise, Eragon also falls short. Huge chunks of Eragon's brother, Roran, is a feature that bores readers (in the second book of the trilogy). Placed next to the adventures that Eragon is facing, the sudden switch in main characters and scenes (from excitement to boring sea voyage) is clumsy and adds a hint of annoyance to the reading. Furthermore, all this time it builds tension and an increased expectancy for Roran to have a major significance or role in the story - but what happens when he finally meets up with Eragon? Not much.
    I found Roran's section in the second book much more entertaining than Eragon's. Eragon spent much of the book training, while Roran was experiencing action. As for which book I would pick, it would be Harry Potter hands down.
    "If you want to be happy, be"-Leo Tolstoy

gotta go with Fowl. very quirky indeed. However The Supernatural, which was also written by the Fowl guy was ****. boring, meandering, weird and just didnt have the awesome styule that Fowl did. off the topic but sitll
    friggin dialup

I agree totally with what Silv says, but I think you are being a little harsh on Eragon. Although it may be overshadowed by Harry Potter in some ways, it IS a great read. Look at the potential that someone like Paolini has! if you were to compare Rowlings books at 15...you sure as hell wouldnt find anything as good as Eragon! The latter eragon book and anything else Paolini writes is sure to get better as he matures and learns more.
    friggin dialup

True true, his books will get better with time. I agree that he is quite talented to be able to write a trilogy starting from such a young age. Harry Potter is better right now, but Paolini does have the potential to write even better books.

Seeker of Knowledge Shannanigan's Avatar
    St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands...that's in the Caribbean for you lost ones...
    Blog Entries
    I'll admit I only read two of the HP books (the first and the third), and while they were entertaining for the time, I never got into them because I guess they were just too...I don't want to say childish...but I just felt that at 16 I was too old for the books. When I read Paolini's Eragon two or three years later, I definitely didn't have that feeling and got addicted...I anxiously awaited and read Eldest and can't wait to read the third book.

I guess my attchments aren't a good measure of each authors' skill in writing, but I do think that Paolini managed to appeal to a wider audience despite his young age while writing...
    You learn more about a road by travelling it than by consulting all of the maps in the world.

Personaly i think Eragon and Eldest are better books because there was more to them. In the second book there were three different stories going on at once, and there was alot of charactor developement with Roran leading the town into war and Eragon turning into an elf.
    Davidson K Harley

well it kind of depends on what harry potter your talking about because I could get into certain ones more than others
    Hannah

Eragon is grossly derivative.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

oooooohhh and administrator...1700 posts....niiiiceeee
    friggin dialup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast