Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't drink the water... just drink!

Don't drink the water... just drink!

Don't drink the water..

The nutter wheezes out some kind of spahgetti mish mash,
    of long fermented wisdom burnt brittle,
    and too long on the ambers of adversity.
    Spittle sprayed gristle churning away under a yapping chin,
    toothless lips drawn to the bone as if being sucked into
    the black hole within.
    "looks like the yield's going to be good this year,' he declares,
    with all the confidence of a hermit octopus sending out a weary tentacle.
    I nod back wondering what yield he might be referring to, sitting down to drink at the graduate
    in the leafy suburb of Killiney South of Dublin.
    "...The grain," he continues,
    " is going to be good - it's the tractors these days- more like factories all on their own!"
    His eyes never settle on mine but always return to catch them for a millisecond,
    about a thousand times a minute I sware,
    searching for agreement,and then darting away ready for the ridicule.
    'So... he's soft in the head then,' is my immediate call.
    The barmans smug look tells me it's going to be a long one - this conversation of ours,
    with the first Irishman I meet in Ireland - and he's not right in the head!
    So he tells me that TV is a conspiracy to keep the kids dumb,
    and that the Martello towers are making every one insane because they're keeping the sewage
    from flowing out to sea - "Don't be drinking the water by the sea over here son!" he says
    "It'll drive you mad it will!"
    And yes, you know what I'm thinking " well how much have you had to drink old mate,"
    is squirming in my head itching for release.
    For two hours I exercise my neck and agree and empathise and mm- hmmm and uh- huh,
    The arrogant stinking son of a ***** that I am!!
    But he thinks I'm the nicest goddam fellow he'd met in a while - a real kindred spirit!!

So finally I use inebriation as an excuse to escape and i find my way out into the chill of an Irish night.
    Numbed by the alcohol and nonsense I stamble on down to Killiney bay where
    the sea just lays down to shore - no waves, it just lies there like a cold accepting whore,
    and I see looming large - the silhouetted unmistakeable shape of some forgotten martello tower
    on Dalkey Island.
    And I see another drunkard leaning up against it,
    and he's laughing hysterically and then he's crying uncontrollably, swaying and swearing and singing!
    And I shout out to help the poor afflicted soul now being qualified and ordained to do so,
    I says, " don't be drinking the water by this sea mate -it'll drive you mad it will!!"
    And he stops his braying and slides a look my way as if to acknowledge my great truth,
    my great revelation,
    and he whispews a slurred thanks - and with that, grinning inanely at each other we both topple to the hard ground and pass out.

The nutter slept in bed that night...
    Last edited by Dr Eep; 12-20-2006 at 10:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    what a poem! Dr. Eep...enjoyed every word, (except for the misspelled ones unless you did that on purpose? )

I'm not talking about whispews. but spahgetti and sware.

And I shout out to help the poor afflicted soul now being qualified and ordained to do so

I liked it, just sat here and read it to my cat! She liked it too.

Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by Riesa; 12-20-2006 at 10:54 AM.
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

Blog Entries
    Fantastic!!! That is a A #1 poem. I loved it. So creative!

Here are some of my favorite lines:
    the black hole within.
    And yes, you know what I'm thinking " well how much have you had to drink old mate,"
    the sea just lays down to shore - no waves, it just lies there like a cold accepting whore,

Almost like an Irish version of Robert Frost. But it's you, Dr. Eap, no one else.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

with all the confidence of a hermit octopus sending out a weary tentacle
    If it's not copyrighted, can I use it sometime, Dr. Eep? It's hilarious!

and that the Martello towers are making every one insane because they're keeping the sewage
    *still laughing*

The poem/story didn't bore me at all, Dr. Eep! Very entertaining!
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's" - Dostoevksy

Thanks so much Riesa, Virgil and Laindessiel!!

All 3 of you are absolute legends so I'm very flattered that you would take the time to comment - Thanks again!

Yep, my spelling is not the best, but you were right about the intentional 'whispew' there Riesa It's an attempt to combine the words whisper and spew as was the earlier attempt to combine the words stumble and amble.

Also, it's probably evident that I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to punctuation and I often get my tenses wrong as well.

This story is actually half true - the whole bit up until I leave the bar to explore the night, actually happened! I had just arrived in Dublin and that old guy really was the first person to strike up a conversation with me! I hope you did find this funny to some degree because that was my intention in writing it. Virgil, blow New York a kiss foe me for Xmas will ya? Riesa, give your cat an extra cuddle and Laindessiel.... keep on laughing!! Merry Xmas all of you - thanks for your friendship!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Eep View Post

All 3 of you are absolute legends so I'm very flattered that you would take the time to comment - Thanks again!

Yep, my spelling is not the best, but you were right about the intentional 'whispew' there Riesa .......

Also, it's probably evident that I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to punctuation and I often get my tenses wrong as well.
    Bravo on a wonderful poem, and ummm begging my pardon, but to hell with the punctuation. If it feels right just do it, its poetry! So kick back, relax, tune in to your favorite sound of sunshine, and post another whopper here...

Can you dig it?

I SAID, "CAN YOU DIG IT!"
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

I can dig it!! Thanks so much B- Mental!! I appreciate it - Merry Xmas to you too!!

Blog Entries
    yeah! to hell with punctuation! it was great the way it was, I thought.

very few poems get me back for a re-read, but this one did..Dr. Eep!!

(kitty likes the extra cuddles)
    "Don't matter who they are, anybody sets foot in this house, they are company and don't let me catch you remarking on their ways like you were so high and mighty."

You're willkomen, Dr. Eep! I think that you are one of the most gifted poets in this side of the Internet!

Uh...me. Me? A legend?

I'm usually very cautious about punctuation marks but I just noticed it when you mentioned it, so I guess no big deal there!

Laindessiel.... keep on laughing!! Merry Xmas all of you - thanks for your friendship!!
    I wouldn't mind being friends with Dr. Bono...*cough* I mean Dr. Eep...

Happy Holidays to you too, Dr. Eep!
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."

To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's" - Dostoevksy

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

At the risk of sounding repetitive, mate, this line was my favorite as well:

What with the drink and the sea, it stirred up a vision of Davey Jones from the new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest movie, (shades of H.P. Lovecraft...) On the poem. And I'm with Riesa-- when it comes to good poetry, sometimes say blast the punctuation!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

lunatic zen philosopher Triskele's Avatar
    Don't drink the water..

long fermented wisdom burnt brittle,

yeah, its quite nice, the ecclectic wording adds to the imagery of th character. thanks for sharing it

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Don't drink the water..

The nutter wheezes out some kind of spahgetti mish mash,
    of long fermented wisdom burnt brittle,
    the black hole within.
    "looks like the yield's going to be good this year,' he declares,
    I nod back wondering what yield he might be referring to, sitting down to drink at the graduate
    in the leafy suburb of Killiney South of Dublin.
    "...The grain," he continues,
    " is going to be good - it's the tractors these days- more like factories all on their own!"
    His eyes never settle on mine but always return to catch them for a millisecond,
    about a thousand times a minute I sware,
    searching for agreement,and then darting away ready for the ridicule.
    'So... he's soft in the head then,' is my immediate call.
    The barmans smug look tells me it's going to be a long one - this conversation of ours,
    with the first Irishman I meet in Ireland - and he's not right in the head!
    from flowing out to sea - "Don't be drinking the water by the sea over here son!" he says
    "It'll drive you mad it will!"
    For two hours I exercise my neck and agree and empathise and mm- hmmm and uh- huh,
    The arrogant stinking son of a ***** that I am!!
    But he thinks I'm the nicest goddam fellow he'd met in a while - a real kindred spirit!!

So finally I use inebriation as an excuse to escape and i find my way out into the chill of an Irish night.
    and I see looming large - the silhouetted unmistakeable shape of some forgotten martello tower
    on Dalkey Island.
    And I see another drunkard leaning up against it,
    and he's laughing hysterically and then he's crying uncontrollably, swaying and swearing and singing!
    And I shout out to help the poor afflicted soul now being qualified and ordained to do so,
    I says, " don't be drinking the water by this sea mate -it'll drive you mad it will!!"
    And he stops his braying and slides a look my way as if to acknowledge my great truth,
    my great revelation,
    and he whispews a slurred thanks - and with that, grinning inanely at each other we both topple to the hard ground and pass out.

The nutter slept in bed that night...
    Mindblowing description but the storyline is a bit incoherent and unclear...
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dramasnot6 View Post
    Mindblowing description but the storyline is a bit incoherent and unclear...

did I really just read that?

Sweet farewell, Good Nite
    just fantastic dr eep! i see you've finally sounded your barbaric yawp gracing us with this wonderful treasure from the seascapes of old Ireland, arg! i love it!

Quote Originally Posted by dr eep
    the black hole within.
    Yes! i was there the night on that beach "clocked" many a times, as one of my friends---who happens to be Irish, loves to put our occasional sad inebriated moments together! this poem speaks with a universal voice, all bubbling with life and culture! it reminds me of U2s performance at the superbowl after September 11 when Bono shouts, "America? AMERICA?" this shouts "Ireland!" in the same wild spirit!

now do i have this right, that the end of the poem is fiction? if so, i'm thoroughly disappointed (!) because the poem is so darn good n' gritty i just wanna believe it happened!

An ode to spirits of an another age in Ginsbergesque-1950s-Beat-Epic-Fashion with every line shouting a piece of our lives, shouting life from waterfront bars to midnight shores in timeless imperfection! the title made me laugh out loud!

i read your poem to my kitty and afterward she cried for the whole container of catnip!

Quote Originally Posted by dr eep
    and he whispews a slurred thanks - and with that, grinning inanely at each other we both topple to the hard ground and pass out. The nutter slept in bed that night
    Amen.
    Last edited by jon1jt; 12-25-2006 at 04:00 AM. Reason: quote poem
    "He was nauseous with regret when he saw her face again, and when, as of yore, he pleaded and begged at her knees for the joy of her being. She understood Neal; she stroked his hair; she knew he was mad."
    ---Jack Kerouac, On The Road: The Original Scroll

Blog Entries
    It does, like everyone else has pointed out, has vivid descriptions; and the connection with the characters and their surroundings, to the water, was intelligently done, I must say. But some references I didn't get like the part where the sea 'lays like a cold accepting horror.'

Overall it was good, I liked it. I disagree with dram. that the storyline is 'incoherent'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast