Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Passage, Book, and/or Verse In The Holy Bible?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Sephiroth View Post
    It's amazing, ain't it? How one book can have so many wonderful teachings of living life.

That's not true. If anything the Bible teaches us many things that are severely untrue.

Exodus 21:7 says its ok to sell your daughter into slavery

Exodus 35:2 says anyone working on the sabbath should be put to death

Corinthians 11:14 says if a man has long hair it is a shame unto him and in the next verse that all woman should be covered when praying.

Also the verse people site when saying that a man shall not lie with another man and what not, well if you flip to the next page theres a passage that says that its ok to stone to deat disobedient children.

Favorite book is Exodus
    "Well, God give them wisdom that have it; and those that are fools, let them use their talents."

- Feste, Twelfth Night

"...till human voices wake us and we drown."

- Eliot

Well of course, who doesnt like a book about slavery, death, and racism.

Blog Entries
    hello winter...i so dig emily...

Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul,
    And sings the tune without the words,
    And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
    And sore must be the storm
    That could abash the little bird
    That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chilliest land
    And on the strangest sea;
    Yet, never, in extremity,
    It asked a crumb of me.

...goober...[smiling]...haven't heard/seen that word in ages....

...not so much as secret, but hidden....

thrz that WHY question again...2me it's all abt faith in what we can't see and what we hope for...hebrews 11:1...it's a process thru the life i lead...growing, nurturing, learning, understanding, dying, giving way....u mention free will and yr undrstdg and then wonder why god just didn't take over...r we created 2b puppets...it's an eternal argument...it's all abt dying in a physical sense and living in a spiritual sense...i can only speak of my experiences and my thoughts....and it sure aint EZ...black n white...and then thrz gray...left 'n right 'n middle ground...hrz a scripture reflective of sitting on a fence...

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it...matthew 7:13-14

..not only do i seek wisdom but the understanding of that wisdom...otherwiz it's pearls before swine...

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mS_? View Post
    That's not true. If anything the Bible teaches us many things that are severely untrue.

Exodus 21:7 says its ok to sell your daughter into slavery

Exodus 35:2 says anyone working on the sabbath should be put to death

Corinthians 11:14 says if a man has long hair it is a shame unto him and in the next verse that all woman should be covered when praying.

Also the verse people site when saying that a man shall not lie with another man and what not, well if you flip to the next page theres a passage that says that its ok to stone to deat disobedient children.
    Whoa! Wait a darn minute here. I said "many" not "all" wonderful teachings. Besides, you shouldn't read just one or two verses and follow it literally and keep it for the rest of your life.

I think some common sense is needed to read the Bible and, not only that, to truly understand the Bible, one must read the whole Bible, not just parts of it.
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

...I think some common sense is needed to read the Bible and, not only that, to truly understand the Bible, one must read the whole Bible, not just parts of it.
    As a teenager I read through the KJV - twice. But forget atheists for a sec - how many Christians could say that? - I'm guessing quite a tiny per cent of the flock.

BTW, is anyone here familiar with the Jeffersonian Bible? It's the bible less the bullcrap. Quite a good read - sort of short though.

I'm partial to Galatians 6:7-9

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth to the flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well-doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

Whoa! Wait a darn minute here. I said "many" not "all" wonderful teachings. Besides, you shouldn't read just one or two verses and follow it literally and keep it for the rest of your life.

I think some common sense is needed to read the Bible and, not only that, to truly understand the Bible, one must read the whole Bible, not just parts of it.

Well if its your god and he infallable then how can you pick and choose the passages you want, I'm veering a little off topic here i feel.

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Well if its your god and he infallable then how can you pick and choose the passages you want, I'm veering a little off topic here i feel.
    Well, maybe you're veering a little off topic.

This thread was created so that people can speak about their favorite passage, book, and/or verse in the Holy Bible. Also, it's to tell about why it's so important or, at least, why they remember that particular passage. Is it meaningful to them in some ways and so on?

But, anyway, back to what you were saying. If you were speaking to me directly, I never did say anything about "my god" or "infallible".

I think there's another thread in which you can talk about this stuff. If there's not, you can create one. Just remember to keep to the rules, please. I ain't a moderator or anything, just a nice guy who likes to keep the peace.

If you wish to continue this topic and/or discussion with me, send me a private message.
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patriotfan_90 View Post
    Ecclesiastes chapter 3

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
    This is my favorite as well, but I also like the verses further on, Ecclesiastes 3:9-14 What does the worker gain from his toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil—this is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him.

It is such a beautiful chapter and always puts things in perspective for me. When I am having a hard time I read this verse and know that good is coming and that the bad will work out to be beautiful.
    "O reason, reason, abstract phantom of the waking state, I had already expelled you from my dreams, now I have reached a point where those dreams are about to become fused with apparent realities: now there is only room here for myself. "
    -Louis Aragon

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    First some background, when I was growing up in Scotland I was a member of the "Boys Brigade" which is an organisation similar to the Cadets with the only difference being that it is linked to the church. I owe a lot to that organisation, and feel it has had some impact on how I turned out. The object of the boys brigade is the advancement of Christ's kingdom among boys and the promotion of habits of obedience, discipline, reverence, self respect and all that tends towards a true christian manliness. The advancement of Christ's kingdomdidnt quite stick with me, but the other qualities are still there nonetheless. In my last year before leaving I attained the Queen's badge (highest award possible in the organisation). This included a variety of leadership, team-building, and outdoor courses including a list of questions to be answered - one of which was what is your favourite verse? & why?

This was my answer at 17:

"My favourite verse in the bible is Matthew Chapter 6, verse 24: "No one can be a slave of 2 masters he will hate one and love the other; he will be loyal to one and despise the other. You can't serve both God and money." I like this verse as it reminds me that there is so much more to life than money,things like friendship, trust & God."

My answer at 25, is still the same verse and for similar reasons except for the reference to God at the end of it.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Hi there - did you have a favorite passage or story or did you not happen to read the title of this thread before posting in it?
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

Matthew 24:4-14

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Ah, I finally find the verse I referred to in the previous post - here it is, in context:

Ecclesiastes 9:2 - 12

2. All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.

3. This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

4. For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

5. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

7. Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

8. Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.

9. Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.

10. Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

11. I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

12. For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

GimmyDiamond
    John 14

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

Jesus the Way to the Father

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
    Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well, From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
    Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
    Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me anything in my name, and I will do it.

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
    "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
    Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?"
    Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
    "All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
    "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me.
    "Come now; let us leave.

Our sermon today in my church was about this chapter and it spoke to me so much I had to share it all with you, quite literally all of it. The reason why, is if you look carefully, IMHO, every question one could have about Jesus is answered here. I obviously don't mean ridiculous questions like , 'how tall was Jesus?' but for those who honestly and earnestly seek to know God and to be in a closer relationship with Him, well here is 'the Way'.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast