Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Passage, Book, and/or Verse In The Holy Bible?

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What Is Your Favorite Passage, Book, and/or Verse In The Holy Bible?

Mine is Psalm 23. Since this in my first thread I'm not going to drown myself and/or other members of this forum by typing up the whole thing. So I'll just quote one verse from Psalm 23:

Psalm 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

I chose Psalm 23 as my favorite because of the meaning of it. Well, it least my interpretation of the meaning. That meaning that I see is that you are completely faithful and hopeful in whatever that you may believe in without a shadow of a doubt in your mind.

In this case, David believes in God.

Everyone needs something to believe in. It's what gives them hope. It's what keeps them going and pushing themselves to continue on with their lives. In the face of danger, if you have hope and not a single doubt in your mind, you will have no fear.

Whether it is God or something or someone else, there must be something that you believe for you to continue to live, move forward, and wake up in the morning. Even though you may not realize it at the moment.

Whew...Was this too much...? I'm not even finished yet...But I'll quit for now...
    "The Lord work from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their enviroment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature."

~Ezra Taft Benson

Blog Entries
    I like the book of Revelations. Very entertaining.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    I like the book of Revelations. Very entertaining.
    Care to elaborate on that?
    "The Lord work from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their enviroment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature."

~Ezra Taft Benson

Poetry = Heart & Soul
    Ecclesiastes chapter 3

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 3:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3:3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 3:5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 3:6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Sephiroth View Post
    Care to elaborate on that?
    I studied a poem in secondary school by John Donne called ' At the Round Earths Imagined Corners' and it was based on the book of revelations and for some back round reading i read the book of revelations and found it entertaining. Call me morbid or what ever but any thing about Armagedon grabs my attention. Also in the national Art Gallery of Ireland there in a painting called 'The Opening of the Sixth Seal' by an Irish Artist called Barry thats also based on the end of the world. It is so detailed. I'm not very religious but it is the only part of the Bible that i like.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Poetry = Heart & Soul
    the book of Revelation is not so much based on ther armageddon, it is more set on what the Lord will do when he returns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patriotfan_90 View Post
    the book of Revelation is not so much based on ther armageddon, it is more set on what the Lord will do when he returns
    Well thats what i got from it when i read it. And thats what a nun told me it was about as well.
    W.B.Yeats

Poetry = Heart & Soul
    still, it is supposed to be a book of hope of the coming of the Lord, not a warning that the end is coming

Blog Entries
    Maybe we have both read different editions of the bible, seeing as some can very slightly.

truth be told i believe you can read it both ways.
    Last edited by Niamh; 12-20-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    W.B.Yeats

The following is one of my favorite passages because it illustrates the mean-spiritedness found in much of the bible:

A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Deu 23:2

And this one, because it pretty much says it all without relying on any silly paranormal stuff:

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 7:12

Blog Entries
    Hearing all these different quotes about your favorite passage, book, and/or verse about the Holy Bible is great.

But with all these different readings, something came into my mind...What kind of Holy Bible are you reading?

I prefer the original King James version...You know, with the thou, thine, yea, ye...and whatnot.

But I have my doubts that the "original" version is still not original since the Holy Bible has been changed and translated so many times, not to mention the good possibility of it being incomplete, but I guess the K.J. version is as close as I can get to the original...

Anyway, I prefer to read and see the original work of anything that catches my interests...Or, at least as close as I can get...

Which ain't easy nowadays for the old and famous work such as the Holy Bible among other things...

~Ezra Taft Benson

Blog Entries
    I prefer New American Standard version...I usually get lost amongsts the "thou"s "ye"s and "said unto them's.

Truthfully I try to avoid reading the bible, as it tends to put me in a bad mood. But it does have a wonderful moral code, which i will always support. The contradictions have driven me away from it for use as a guide for my life though.

example:
    "Thou shalt not murder thy brethren"
    "And God struck him dead that very hour"

not exact quote, but i'm sure you'll find something similar. So what, is our amazing 'perfect' god exempt from his own rules?

And sorry, i got off topic again *me? off topic? thats not suprising whatsoever*. Anyway, despite its flaws, I respect the Bible and the ideal it has come to represent. It is the much needed 'perfection', the anchor which holds many families down.

I do not believe in the bible, but I would never try and take it away from the millions of people who need it so desperatley. It is something I have learend to coexsist with.
    Last edited by brainstrain; 12-24-2006 at 06:06 PM.
    "...thought is the arrow of time, memory never fades."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brainstrain View Post
    I prefer New American Standard version...I usually get lost amongsts the "thou"s "ye"s and "said unto them's.

Truthfully I try to avoid reading the bible, as it tends to put me in a bad mood. But it does have a wonderful moral code, which i will always support. The contradictions have driven me away from it for use as a guide for my life though.

example:
    "Thou shalt not murder thy brethren"
    "And God struck him dead that very hour"

not exact quote, but i'm sure you'll find something similar. So what, is our amazing 'perfect' god exempt from his own rules?

And sorry, i got off topic again *me? off topic? thats not suprising whatsoever*. Anyway, despite its flaws, I respect the Bible and the ideal it has come to represent. It is the much needed 'perfection', the anchor which holds many families down.

I do not believe in the bible, but I would never try and take it away from the millions of people who need it so desperatley. It is something I have learend to coexsist with.
    Impressive...I respect and admire your views on the Bible. You are what I would consider a very wise person. You do not hate the Bible nor do you love it, but you do respect it. I like that.

Anyway, you are somewhat of off subject, but I don't think I can ask you to give a favorite passage in the Bible and your translation of the meaning of it. Since, you know, reading the Bible puts you in a bad mood.

~Ezra Taft Benson

One problem of the king James version is the translation. Sadly the Translation was done by men with crude Hebrew, plus the fact Hebrew grammar and structure does not convert well into the Elizabethan English. Also some of the text’s where translated from Latin. Hebrew to Latin to English does not make for accurate translations from the original script. Anyway my favourite quote, the well used and published from the book of St James
    “for god so loved the world , he gave his only son”

Blog Entries
    Yes, sorry, I have a bad habit of doing that. I really am trying to be more focused ^_^

And, despite that fact that it puts me in a bad mood when read in large quantities, I DO have some things that I like. The parables, for instance. There are a few that, even after being analyzed by my church's preacher, make no sense at all, but most I find fascinating.

I've always wondered if Jesus just made those up off the top of his head, or had been thinking them up for a few millinea.

The parable of the prodigal son is great, has a strong theme. Besides telling us not to be impatient (if he had waited till his father died to get the money he would have had the experience to spend it wisely), it gives a strong example of forgiveness. Even after squandering his money, the father welcomes with a glorious feast the return of his progidal son (pardon my spelling, i've been in the car all day. my brain isn't working quite right).

There are a few other parables i like...I'll post them later if i think of any. Oh yes, the one with the farmer who sows seeds in all different types of land. Its one of the few lesson subjects i can stay awake through.
    "...thought is the arrow of time, memory never fades."

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast