Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iago's problem w/ Othello

Quote Originally Posted by SentimentalSlop View Post
    Iago hates Othello because Othello gave the lieutenant position to Cassio who has no experience on the battlefield whatsoever, while Iago has fought alongside Othello for years and has personally observed his skills and merits. Iago gives a great speech about it in the beginning of the play. He also hates him because he heard a rumor that Othello slept with his wife, Emilia.
    Coleridge suggests that Iago has a "motiveless malignity", that he just *is* evil. I think there is something in that, but I also think there is something in what you say. Most people would just shrug off being passed over for promotion, it happens all the time, but Iago can't do this, his excess vanity is hurt. This, combined with his fundamentally malign nature, powers his actions.

Oh yes, Iago is just evil all around, but he needs a reason to go out of his way and torment someone. He sure has reasons to hate Othello, according to his philosophy.

I agree with Richey. Shakespeare, with his usual brilliance, presents the tragic fall of two characters consumed by jealousy - Iago and Othello.

I had always thought it was because Iago loved Desdemona and was simply jealous that Othello had her, although my drama teacher raised a valid point this year; he said that there may have been more to the story and that Iago may have instead loved Othello himself, and been jealous of Desdemona. He may have been trying to get rid of Desdemona to get closer to Othello.

Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12