Thread: Searching for Holocaust short story

Searching for Holocaust short story

I'm searching for a literary needle in a haystack but hope someone knows just what my needle is & where to find it. Years ago, I heard a radio reading of a wonderful short story. The plot revolved around a young girl living in a Manhattan apartment. One night a babysitter comes to care for her & proceeds to tell her the story of her experience in the Holocaust.

I know this is precious little to go on & I last heard the story so long ago that I'm not giving enough details about it. But if it rings a bell, pls. reply here or send me a PM.

Also, would anyone know of other sites about short stories or Holocaust literature where I could post a similar query if I strike out here?
    Richard Silverstein

Quote Originally Posted by richards1052 View Post
    I'm searching for a literary needle in a haystack but hope someone knows just what my needle is & where to find it. Years ago, I heard a radio reading of a wonderful short story. The plot revolved around a young girl living in a Manhattan apartment. One night a babysitter comes to care for her & proceeds to tell her the story of her experience in the Holocaust.

I know this is precious little to go on & I last heard the story so long ago that I'm not giving enough details about it. But if it rings a bell, pls. reply here or send me a PM.

Also, would anyone know of other sites about short stories or Holocaust literature where I could post a similar query if I strike out here?
    I have read the "Nazi Officer's Wife" by Edith Hahn Beer so many times, there are parts I can quote word-for-word. It is not a short read, but a quick read, written in a very down to earth type of style, by a Jewish woman who found herself married to a Nazi Officer and had a child with him.

I don't want to spoil anything and won't say another word about the story except that reading it was one of the treats of a lifetime. I couldn't put the book down!!!
    For the triumph of evil, all it takes is for a few good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke

As I was searching for this same short story, I happened upon your blog post. The story was written by a woman, and I believe that the title included "babysitter" in it, but I have had no luck in finding the author or title, and I too heard it being read by the author. The piece was stunning and understated. Could the author have been Katherine Ann Porter?