Thread: View?

Blog Entries

View?

I have just finished this novel. This one is a good one especially the role of the heroine, who struggles between convention and her own passion. This character is rather tipicall at that time, while at last she submits to her own heart.
    I want to raise a question for those who have already reading it.
    Does the word "view" in the title has any deep meaning and why the author chooses this name? Look forward to your answers!!!
    Life is never too good nor too bad!

The title refers to the lack of maturity in Lucy Honeychurch, and through the novel Lucy develops and acquires a 'view' of life. The room is the constricted society and tight beliefs that Lucy has been forced into, and the view that she gets in Italy is the starting point for the acquisition of her view.

Nutmeg
    Wow, here I am just now reading A Room With A View and wondered the same questions. Thank you aliteration for the succinct and plausable answers.

"View"

Hi,
    The"view" is in a way a pun, as it really means an "opinion". The title refers to Lucy Honeychurch in particular, and to her journey of self discovery. She begins without a view, but throughout the course of the novel begins to develop one through her love for George, the culture and freedom she discovers in Italy and the freedom she experiences. She breaks away from the traditional Edwardian society for love and therefore consolidates her "view".
    Perhaps E.M. Forster is also referring to the other characters? Does Mr Beebe have a "view"? Miss Bartlett? The Emersons?
    Hope this helped, know it's late! I totally agree, the book is magical.