Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 8 of 477 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

The Great Damn of Boston. JediFonger's Avatar

Talking

while i liked it i did not think it was an effective drama. it all seemed VERY forced. i can't specifically list what it is that is bothering me but when MJ sees PP at the end of the 2nd movie you are SUPPOSED to feel emotionally overwhelmed to the point of crying... but i did not feel that. a little tingle maybe but not like return of the king when sam carried frodo. know what i mean? it's kind of a 'pseudo-emotion' that spiderman (both movies) plays on. same with the first one when PP was hunched over Uncle Ben, i WANTED to cry but couldn't... it was simply not moving enough. this has happened with sam's other movies as well, like a simple plan, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Shelf
    Spiderman2.

if you watch it the first time, i hope you did it on a BIG screen. i saw it on the small screen but i always wanted to go to a BIG screen viewing, like on wang center or somn. anyway, you HAVE to watch it a second time. i know it's a long movie but i don't think you truly get this movie until you see it at least twice. the first time it is quite an overwhelming movie, the scope, the music, the epic-ness... but the 2nd time you start seeing how small and personal lawrence is. you start seeing that the big panning landscapes actually are a symbol of lawrence's own big-heart. it is the outward expression of his internal self. it was VERY beautifully acted by the entire troupe.

Quote Originally Posted by earth
    2. Lawrence of Arabia (1962) -.
    yeah sucide virgin is a much more precise and concise work. it definitely begins, strides and ends. but LIT simply loses itself in translation... erm... ok.

Quote Originally Posted by crisaor
    I agree about LiT, it was okay, but way overrated. However, I believe that it wasn't her first movie. She directed the Suicide Virgins before this one, if I'm not mistaken.

o c'mon em, i thought girls were supposed to know who is 'hot'? i mean guys can't tell which guys are hot (unless of course... we start being politically correct or incorrect).

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    P.S. I can't offer an opinion on her hotness,
    to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.

Quote Originally Posted by JediFonger
    if you watch it the first time, i hope you did it on a BIG screen. i saw it on the small screen but i always wanted to go to a BIG screen viewing, like on wang center or somn. anyway, you HAVE to watch it a second time. i know it's a long movie but i don't think you truly get this movie until you see it at least twice. the first time it is quite an overwhelming movie, the scope, the music, the epic-ness... but the 2nd time you start seeing how small and personal lawrence is. you start seeing that the big panning landscapes actually are a symbol of lawrence's own big-heart. it is the outward expression of his internal self. it was VERY beautifully acted by the entire troupe.
    I will keep that in mind, the first time I saw it was on the big screen, though, it was at the drive in. If the chance comes up I can see it a second time, I will.
    "Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand."

Blog Entries

yeah sucide virgin is a much more precise and concise work. it definitely begins, strides and ends. but LIT simply loses itself in translation... erm... ok..
    u mean virgin suicide..?! i believe thats the title

I dont really see the moving parts in spiderman 2 either, i mean i almost laugh when i saw the scene where PP and MJ in the big web and PP was telling MJ why he couldnt be with her....perhaps the movies isnt suppose to have touchy sides anyway..

anyone want to comment about American Beauty? I've watched this movie like hundreds of time...

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

sorry yesh virgin suicide.

i think the premise of spiderman does not necessitate of dramatic scenes. just give us plenty of action! even the comics themselves don't have LOTS and LOTS of exposition and character moments... after all he IS a spider! and they ain't really social as far as i can remember watching PBS.

regarding american beauty, if you really dig that movie you must watch six feet under. alan ball is writer of american beauty and creator of six feet under. 6' under is like american beauty THE SHOW but so much better!!! start with season 1, it's like a soap. you will pick the show up quickly. as of right now it's on season4 on hbo. even people as eccentrically neurotic as us can get shows like this.

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    anyone want to comment about American Beauty? I've watched this movie like hundreds of time...
    This movie annoys me, it was my boyfriends favourite when we first started to date, so I watched it with him. I just don't get it, and does it ever frusturate me! Like the scene with the bag? I am interested if other people liked it.

They play many great movies on TV every Saturday at 14.00. I can watch old movies if I stick to it. Last Saturday 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' was on only it was almost at the end. I fixed on it and once again the 'engraving scene at Tiffany' and 'throwing away the Cat scene' touched my heart. Audrey Hepburn is epitome of fashion and style, timeless. I really really loved it.
    if you can't beat them, join them

Blog Entries
    she is Beautiful.

i'm with you here, Kiwi Shelf. last summer i saw, and didn't get the movie, and my housemate said "not to be rude, but it was the bag scene."
    she thought i was mentally deficient not to have caught on to that, oohed and ahhed; well frankly i thought it was meaningless, obvious, and showy.
    it was okay, but it didn't capture me.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

I just read this in Tom Wolfe’s book Hooking Up. I laughed. Thought it may be instructive after ‘Em’s comment on Lost in Translation.

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    I especially loved that the characters behaved like real people; for instance, there was strong attraction between Murray's character and what's-her-name, but there was no question that it just wasn't right for them to hook up, and they didn't, even though there were plenty of opportunities.
    ' “Hooking up” was a term known in the year 2000 to almost every American child over the age of nine, but to only a relatively small percentage of their parents, who, even if they heard it, thought it was being used in the old sense of “meeting” someone. Among the children, hooking up was always sexual experience, but the nature and extent of what they did could vary widely. Back in the twentieth century, American girls had used baseball terminology. “First base” referred to embracing and kissing; “second base” referred to groping and fondling and deep, or “French,” kissing, commonly known as “heavy petting”; “third base” referred to fellatio, usually known in polite conversation by the ambiguous term “oral sex”; and “home plate” meant conception-mode intercourse, known familiarly as “going all the way.” In the year 2000, in an era of hooking up, “first base” meant deep kissing (“tonsil hockey”), groping and fondling; “second base” meant oral sex; “third base” meant going all the way; and “home plate” meant learning each other’s names.'
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Talking

sancho, i believe that we are even further along than that. 1st base means intercourse/oral/etc. 2nd base means bondage. 3rd base means bondage and other fetishes combo (like foot or... other strange things). home base means 2+ partners doing multiple sexual gratifications, like having sex with someone's ears or somn...

and beyond that, bottom of the 9th inning would be too illegal to mention on this board.

sex has lost much of its eroticism due to the highly publicized nature of the ins and outs of sexual options. so much for wolfe's theory, after all look at how old he is... and how old we are...
    Last edited by JediFonger; 07-28-2004 at 06:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Shelf
    This movie annoys me, it was my boyfriends favourite when we first started to date, so I watched it with him. I just don't get it, and does it ever frusturate me! Like the scene with the bag? I am interested if other people liked it.
    how come,...?!
    everytime i saw it feels like i just saw the movie for the 1st time. it always fascinate me ...i love the dining table scene...the bedroom scene..and when lester caught his wife and the real estate king at mr. smiley's. many interesting emotional expressions showed in the movie!

and my other fav movie is People vs Larry Flint ....love woody in this movie

"there are people in the world so hungry that God can not appear to them except in the form of bread"

Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by hye young
    Audrey Hepburn is epitome of fashion and style, timeless. I really really loved it.
    I agree, I love Audrey Hepburn. The cat scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's is very touching, as is the song Moon River, but I really don't like the movie itself as much as some of her other movies. My absolute favorite is Roman Holiday, her first role, and then I also loved Charade and Wait Until Dark. But Roman Holiday...man, it doesn't get any better than that. And Gregory Peck is the perfect co-star for her, I think.
    Arnold Bros. (est. 1905) has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by subterranean
    how come,...?!
    everytime i saw it feels like i just saw the movie for the 1st time. it always fascinate me ...i love the dining table scene...the bedroom scene..and when lester caught his wife and the real estate king at mr. smiley's. many interesting emotional expressions showed in the movie!
    I really don't know what my gripe with this movie is, I like all the other movies that my boyfriend is a fan of. "Donnie Darko" is his other fav at the moment, and that is a great movie. I just can't get into "American Beauty," I watch it and I see what you are suppose to see, but it just does not work any form of magic with me...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nome1486
    I agree, I love Audrey Hepburn. The cat scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's is very touching, as is the song Moon River, but I really don't like the movie itself as much as some of her other movies. My absolute favorite is Roman Holiday, her first role, and then I also loved Charade and Wait Until Dark. But Roman Holiday...man, it doesn't get any better than that. And Gregory Peck is the perfect co-star for her, I think.

I'm with you. I love her too. She's the most beautifull actress. I like "Roman Holiday" , "How To Steal Million".

Jedi - yikes, and yep Tom Wolfe is getting on up there. What was considered kinky to one generation, many times, becomes common place to the next generation. I remember watching an interview between Johnny Carson and Paul Newman. Newman had just turned 60 and Johnny asked him what it was like. Newman responded, "It's wonderful, for the first time in my life I can sit down and have real a conversation with a woman without thinking about sex the whole time."

Back on subject: Just watched "The Big Lebowski" again. Gotta be one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Don't think that I've ever seen a Coen brothers movie that I disliked.
    Some people call me Maurice
    'Cos I speak of the pompatus of love

Oh yeah, I forgot about How to Steal a Million. That's a really fun story. Peter O'Toole defines "dreamy blue eyes" (sorry, couldn't resist one more comment on the male star's looks!)

My favorite Coen brothers movies are The Hudsucker Proxy and O Brother, Where Art Thou? I also liked Raising Arizona, but the other two movies of theirs I've seen, Fargo and The Ladykillers, were a little too dark for me. But that's just me, I think as movies they were pretty well-done.
    Arnold Bros. (est. 1905) has spoken!