Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 53 of 478 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103153 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Last movie I saw at the theater: The New World. (6/10)
    At home: Stage Beauty. (10/10)
    I love Stage Beauty!! I'm found of Claire Danes...
    Already loved her in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and in Little Women.
    Last edited by ElizabethSewall; 02-12-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Haven't been in a theater for some 10 years, so can't say about that side anything. The last vid I saw at home, though, was the latest Harry Potter movie. It was much like those horrible LOTR movies: no plot, a lot of money spend on special effects, and less than interesting characters. That's what you get when you try to stuff 30+ hours of good reading into 2 hours of poor watching. Then they wonder why the revenues are dropping...

In the series side, Deadwood, at least, seemed to be rather good after seeing the first episode. Gotta download the rest of them.

Mrs Henderson Presents - pretty good move, I really like that Judy Dench, but that whole part about boys going to war and not seeing a real womans body seemed slightly weird.

9/10.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

In thinking about Grizzly Man by Werner Herzog, I agreed with Logos' ambivalence about Treadwell and atiguhya padma's point about Herzog's obsession with obsessed people. Sadly, Treadwell reminded me of the dufus model Owen Wilson played (brilliantly) in Zoolander. However, in spite of Treadwell's inability to cope as an adult in the world I believe he really did "protect" those bears he pitifully anthropomorphized, as it turned out after his death six bears a month were shot by poachers. After seeing Herzog's My Best Fiend about the raging Histrionic Personality Disordered Klaus Kinski and now Grizzly Man, it left me feeling somewhat sickened, that Herzog has a sort of cinematic necrophilia. Ultimately, it seems like Herzog feels enthralled by sick people, so fascinated by them he's drawn into their vortex and can't break free.

Donnie Darko: 10/10
    A really great movie, one of the best I have seen in a long time...
    "I'm farther from doing what I want to do than I was 20 years ago"

~~H.P.Lovecroft~~

Join the Church Of Cthulhu!!

Quote Originally Posted by odin2
    Donnie Darko: 10/10
    A really great movie, one of the best I have seen in a long time...
    Yeah, I liked Donny Darko, it was weird!
    Just saw the 2005 King Kong, wow. I NEVER scream in the movies but the prehistoric centipedes crawling on her face and those awful giant leech creatures coming out of the murk were astoundingly horrible, I found myself actually screeching and enjoying it! LOL! Amazing visuals, like Jurassic Park squared meets Chiller Theater. So it was incredibly long, I still liked it.

Same night I saw Syriana, a horror thriller of another ilk. Filmed like City of God, Traffic and a Constant Gardener, lots of slice and dice layers that were irritatingly confusing but in a way I think a mosaic image of the oil corruption thing is the cinematic way to go with such a complex subject. I felt overly politically correct coming out Syriana and needed to get some balance seeing King Kong, lol.
    Metaphors be with you.

I'm a shadow of myself adilyoussef's Avatar
    Big Mama House 2, funny as usual.

Oh! life you'r but hell
    Oh! hell you'r but in me
    When I'v lost your love
    I'm lost in an ocean of destiny

"In Space No One Can Here You Scream."

Just watched "Alien" for the first time in a long time. Very scary movie. Lots of suspense, very scary monster. Didn't see the alien very much until near the end. The acting was pretty good and believable.The special effect were great for 1979 (computers were not like we'd expect today otherwise everything was believable.)
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..."

Matchpoint, by Woody Allen.

Oh, let's see... What shall I give it? Let's say...
    5/10

Horrible. Hilariously, painfully, teeth-grindingly horrible. The incessantly expositive dialogue, the directionless acting... the fact that in one of the painfully stilted and awkwardly-written love sequences, the leading man actually rips the woman's shirt, presumably because that's what Woody Allen thinks people do when they're in the height of passion. In any event... I had a good laugh, but I want my money back.
    Last edited by emily655321; 02-20-2006 at 08:34 PM.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Quote Originally Posted by emily655321
    [b]Matchpoint[/i], by Woody Allen.

Oh, let's see... What shall I give it? Let's say...
    5/10

Horrible. Hilariously, painfully, teeth-grindingly horrible. The incessantly expositive dialogue, the directionless acting... the fact that in one of the painfully stilted and awkwardly-written love sequences, the leading man actually rips the woman's shirt, presumably because that's what Woody Allen thinks people do when they're in the height of passion. In any event... I had a good laugh, but I want my money back.

Yeh,but Scarlett Johansen is the hottest chick in the galaxy.

Haha While we were walking home, my boyfriend (who shares the first name of the leading man) said, "The one redeeming quality of that movie... is when Scarlett Johansen says, 'Chris, I need to see you.'" I patted his arm and said, "If you need to change the error-alert sound on your computer, I'll understand."

I failed to mention in the course of my *****y tear-down that the one thing Allen did well—conceptually, anyway—was his rearrangement of the plot of Crime and Punishment, to infer the question, "What if luck had been on Raskolnikov's side?" You know, despite the entire point of Crime and Punishment being that it is the murderer's conscience that will do him in, and that external factors have little to do with his fate. But other than that, that part of Allen's "vision" had some weight. Way to reap of another's superior writing, Woody.
    Last edited by emily655321; 02-19-2006 at 11:03 PM.

~The Dresden Dolls

Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce
    Yeh,but Scarlett Johansen is the hottest chick in the galaxy.
    I'd certainly rip off her shirt. And I wouldn't stop there either!

Quote Originally Posted by Xamonas Chegwe
    I'd certainly rip off her shirt. And I wouldn't stop there either!
    It just occured to me in class today that even if Scarlett Johansen was shot in the face she would still be hotter than 70% of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryduce
    It just occured to me in class today that even if Scarlett Johansen was shot in the face she would still be hotter than 70% of the population.
    That's a horrible thing to say about the woman I love.

It'd be more like 85%!

My boyfriend told me the sweetest lie the other day. He said that he doesn't really want to do Scarlett Johansen, he only thinks she's hotter than other actresses in Hollywood because 1) he can tell her apart from them (the others all look the same to him), and 2) she always looks like she's a little bit sad. He also said that "attractiveness is 50% personality, 40% a pretty face, and 10% all that other stuff." (Or maybe it was 50% face and 40% personality.) I said, "Good, I can stop all that exercising and eat nothing but cake now." He thought about it and said, "Nah... how about you don't do that?"
    Last edited by emily655321; 02-22-2006 at 06:57 PM.

~The Dresden Dolls