Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 472 of 477 FirstFirst ... 372422462467468469470471472473474475476477 LastLast
Results 7,066 to 7,080 of 7142

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

The church where the wedding in "Sixteen Candles" is held is the one I attended as a child (my parents were atheists, but made us kids go to Sunday School and get a religious education anyway).

I saw "Their Finest" last night. It's set in London, during the Blitz. The heroine has just gotten a job writing dialogue for movies, and the War Department wants to raise morale by offering a sentimental movie about English heroism at Dunkirk. There are a few yuks about the corny movie they are making, filled with sentimental cliches.

There is also a backstage plot involving the actors and writers, and a bit of romance. The joke is that the backstage plot (which the audience is invited to take seriously) is just as cliche-ridden and hokey as the movie about Dunkirk (albeit with better production values).

It's not a great movie -- but it's funny and fun.

Blog Entries
    The last movie I saw was Wonder Woman and the theater here just got a bar. So we went and we got a drink. then we sat in the theater and watched commercials for like an hour. Then the movie started, and it looked like it would be good. but my drink was empty. And then the movie just went on and on and on and on and on and on. They really could have left a lot of it out and it would have been just fine I think. Why are movies so long now? I used to be really into movies, and now I'm into shows. Shows on Netflix that you can watch for 3 hours - a season of a series is like a 10 or 12 hour long movie divided into 10 or 12 parts depending on how many episodes. Movies seem to have gone downhill.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

"Dunkirk" has received (for some incomprehensible reason) rave reviews. I was suspicious of the reviews and of the movies because Christopher Nolan's other movies ("Batman Begins", "Memento", "Inception", etc.) also received critical acclaim. And I hated them. I've boycotted superhero movies ever since sitting through Nolan's Batman movie (the one with Heath Ledger as The Joker). It was interminable. When I saw "Inception", I kept hoping that stupid van would plunge into the water, so the movie would be over.

"Dunkirk" isn't quite that bad, but it's close. It's an ensemble disaster flick that fails to create the slightest human interest in its characters, so the viewer doesn't care who survives. It seems to want to be a hard-hitting war film -- exposing the horrid reality of modern warfare -- but Nolan has added an overly dramatic (even saccharine) score that counteracts this purpose.

OK. Dunkirk is as legendary tale of British civilians' stiff-upper-lip heroism. I get it. But when one of the rescued soldiers reads Churchill's famous "We will fight them on the beaches" speech at the end of them movie, he makes even Churchill's stirring rhetoric seem dull, Impossible? Not for Christopher Nolan.

Blog Entries
    I don't remember much about Inception except that it didn't make any sense. I probably won't watch Dunkirk since I prefer comedies and this doesn't sound like one.

I watched Enchanted with my daughter a few weeks ago. I can't believe Rotten Tomatoes agrees with me about this one with a 93% fresh rating at the moment: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/enchanted/ I might have to take them more seriously. Anyway, some fairy-tale characters are sent to Manhattan by a wicked step mother or queen or whatever to see what reality is really like. I'd give it ten stars. It had enough silliness to counter the mushiness. I might see it again.

Blog Entries
    I saw the John Hughes movie Uncle Buck last night. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/uncle_buck/ Not as good as Enchanted but entertaining.

Score 8/10

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    I saw Kedi today, a documentary on Istanbul´s cat culture. A must for all cat lovers.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...ts-1202391313/

17/10(10 + one point more for each cat protagonist.)
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians

Blog Entries
    From the trailer Kedi looks well done.

I watched Sabrina (1954) for the first time and really liked it. I think Bogart and Hepburn both played flawlessly. It's delightful comedy. 8/10
    Also watched I'll See You in My Dreams a few days ago. Not so good. 4/10

Blog Entries
    Sabrina sounds interesting. I'll see if the library has it tomorrow.

I watched "The Shack": https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_shack/ Although I can see how Rotten Tomatoes did not like this, I'm with the people on this one. I thought it was enjoyable, a 6 or 7 out of 10.

The story is about a fictional near-death experience. The message was forgiveness. One part of the message that I disagreed with was that God seemed to know what someone would do before the person did it. They thought this was OK because God enjoyed watching us do it as if for the first time. If we are truly a source of freedom, He wouldn't be able to know what we were going to do although he could guess likely choices on our part. Basically, God knows everything that is knowable, but what we are going to do next is not knowable except probabilistically. It is nothing against his "omniscience" not to know something that is unknowable.

Blog Entries
    I saw Sabrina, the Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart movie. It was at least an 8 out of 10 rating. Sabrina's father tells her not to reach for the moon and she tells him the moon is reaching for her.

I saw Valerian and the City of the Thousand Planets today at the cinema. It's nonsense but it looks good, rather like The Fifth Element in style.
    According to Aldous Huxley, D.H. Lawrence once said that Balzac was 'a gigantic dwarf', and in a sense the same is true of Dickens.
    Charles Dickens, by George Orwell

Recently saw The Reluctant Saint on TCM, a story of St. Joseph of Cupertino (" the patron saint of both aviators and bad students.") which I enjoyed very much, but is not going to be everyone's cup of peppermint tea. It's in B&W and plods a bit, but has some noteworthy stars in lead roles including Ricardo Montalbán and Maximillian Schell. There is a Youtube version, which I watched also a day or two later, that is a bit stilted in its presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxOLNRBdXw

Spoilers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056403/

For those not inclined I'd rate it a 3 of 10; for those inclined an 8 of 10.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor STATELY
    tailor

who am I but a stitch in time
    what if I were to bare my soul
    would you see me origami

7-8-2015

Blog Entries
    We watched "Table 19" last night. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/table_19/

Rotten Tomatoes thought it was pretty rotten. I would agree. Score 3/10.

Blog Entries
    I watched Boss Baby: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_boss_baby/

If you are seven years old and you are told by your parents you will have a new baby brother arriving shortly, this might be a good movie to watch.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    As you didn´t rate it, it seems that the film may be not so interesting to people who don´t fullfill the above conditions.
    "You can always find something better than death."
    Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, The Bremen Town Musicians