Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 462 of 478 FirstFirst ... 362412452457458459460461462463464465466467472 ... LastLast
Results 6,916 to 6,930 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

A rural part of Sweden, southern Norrland
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Switzerland isn't in the EU because constitutionally it is neutral, a fact that kept it out of European and two World Wars. So while others were squandering their wealth fighting each other, Switzerland prospered. Even if Germany had wanted to incorporate it into the 3rd Reich, strategically it would have been too costly because Switzerland is surrounded by mountains and easily defended.
    It is probably the only true democracy in the world because the government cannot pass major legislation without a referendum; this gives the public a whip hand over their elected representatives: would that we had such a system in the UK.
    Scotland has only recently been in a position to seek withdrawal from the UK since the Scottish Nationalists' became the governing party in Scotland.
    Social mood does favour decentralisation but, because there is no Swiss referendum system to defend it, governments have carte blanche to impose globalisation on their citizens.
    This sums up the situation beautifully.

Blog Entries
    I saw "Art School Confidential": http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/art_..._confidential/

Again Rotten Tomatoes and I do not agree, but I can see why they trashed this.

The story is about a young man, Jerome, who goes to art school because he falls in love with the nude model in the school's brochure and he wants to be the Picasso of the 21st century. He meets the model, but she doesn't like his realistic drawings of her. Instead she falls for a taller, perhaps more handsome (but I have no clue what goes through a female mind when it comes to male beauty) and dangerous looking student whose work is more primitive. Everyone likes this guy's work because their inept teacher who spent 25 years learning how to draw triangles liked it.

There's a serial killer in the area and ultimately the incompetent police catch someone. They get the wrong guy, but that doesn't really bother anyone in the end.

Jerome has two roommates. One of them is gay and the other is a moron. Typical, but uninteresting, things happen to these two characters. There are a lot of goofy art students in his classes to help pass the time.

The more I try to describe this movie the more my rating of it drops so I better stop here.

Score: 6/10
    Last edited by YesNo; 05-20-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Here's an Australian view that agrees with BREXIT the Movie.

https://youtu.be/8f6v7ZwKw_s
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Duplicated post.
    Last edited by Emil Miller; 05-20-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

Blog Entries
    How is it that Britain retained the pound? Shouldn't you be using the euro if you are in the EU? It looks like you are half out of the EU already.

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    How is it that Britain retained the pound? Shouldn't you be using the euro if you are in the EU? It looks like you are half out of the EU already.
    The Euro is fundamentally a German currency i.e. A revamped Deutsche mark foisted on to the European populace without it having a vote on the matter; even the German public were against it but Helmut Kohl, in cahoots with Brussels, brought it in anyway. The UK obtained an opt out and retained the pound.

I didn't know that about the origins of the Euro. Very interesting, Emil.

If you go to this link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_and_the_euro you will see that Sweden opted out of joining the Euro (along with the other countries on the map in the above link coloured in yellow). I am also a member of the Nej till EU Movement. Unfortunately Wikipedia only has this in Swedish. Converting to the Euro was rejected in a referendum held in 2003.

Blog Entries
    I was able to click something in Google that translated the page. The map is interesting. Apparently there are a lot of complex relationships.

If Britain is not part of the Euro although in the EU, what is its obligation to countries such as Greece that are having financial difficulties? The US has a similar problem with Puerto Rico at the moment. I suppose this inability to pay debt will just get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamwoven View Post
    I didn't know that about the origins of the Euro. Very interesting, Emil.

If you go to this link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_and_the_euro you will see that Sweden opted out of joining the Euro (along with the other countries on the map in the above link coloured in yellow). I am also a member of the Nej till EU Movement. Unfortunately Wikipedia only has this in Swedish. Converting to the Euro was rejected in a referendum held in 2003.
    Well it's a bogus Deutsche mark by default because Germany is easily the most economically powerful country in the EU and in seeking to extend its power, it was able to use its industrial muscle to bring other states within range of its economic hegemony: something that's been going on since Bismark unified Germany in 1871.
    In some respects Germany is a victim of its location because, being at the heart of the continent and technically superior to its neighbours, it automatically seeks to extend its power beyond its natural borders: hence two World Wars and the EU.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I saw "Art School Confidential": http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/art_..._confidential/

Again Rotten Tomatoes and I do not agree, but I can see why they trashed this.

The story is about a young man, Jerome, who goes to art school because he falls in love with the nude model in the school's brochure and he wants to be the Picasso of the 21st century. He meets the model, but she doesn't like his realistic drawings of her. Instead she falls for a taller, perhaps more handsome (but I have no clue what goes through a female mind when it comes to male beauty) and dangerous looking student whose work is more primitive. Everyone likes this guy's work because their inept teacher who spent 25 years learning how to draw triangles liked it.

There's a serial killer in the area and ultimately the incompetent police catch someone. They get the wrong guy, but that doesn't really bother anyone in the end.

Jerome has two roommates. One of them is gay and the other is a moron. Typical, but uninteresting, things happen to these two characters. There are a lot of goofy art students in his classes to help pass the time.

The more I try to describe this movie the more my rating of it drops so I better stop here.

Score: 6/10
    This account of the film is probably funnier than the film itself.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row

I was able to click something in Google that translated the page. The map is interesting. Apparently there are a lot of complex relationships.

If Britain is not part of the Euro although in the EU, what is its obligation to countries such as Greece that are having financial difficulties? The US has a similar problem with Puerto Rico at the moment. I suppose this inability to pay debt will just get worse.
    I don't know. Bailouts of failing EU economies are made by the IMF and European Central Bank in accordance with the European Commission but I should think that the UK wouldn't be expected to contribute to casualties of the Euro zone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Miller View Post
    Well it's a bogus Deutsche mark by default because Germany is easily the most economically powerful country in the EU and in seeking to extend its power, it was able to use its industrial muscle to bring other states within range of its economic hegemony: something that's been going on since Bismark unified Germany in 1871.
    In some respects Germany is a victim of its location because, being at the heart of the continent and technically superior to its neighbours, it automatically seeks to extend its power beyond its natural borders: hence two World Wars and the EU.
    I didn't realize the central role of Germany and that it went back to the late 19th century, but the EU didn't occur in a vacuum, so it shouldn't have surprised me. I can see why people would want to exit the EU. It gives them a chance for more autonomy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016 View Post
    This account of the film is probably funnier than the film itself.
    Thanks! I did watch the movie all the way through. It generated a few grins.

The movie I saw last night with my daughter was "Burying the Ex": http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/burying_the_ex_2015/.

I've seen it before. Rotten Tomatoes thought it was rotten, about 1.5 stars out of 5. What is worse, even the normal viewers on Rotten Tomatoes thought it was rotton. I gave it 5 stars (since I saw it twice and enjoyed it both times) which would convert to a 10/10 score here. What made me start questioning my sanity was my daughter thought it was stupid as well.

The movie is about a young man, his half-brother and his girlfriend. The half-brother wants to use his brother's apartment to bring girls for overnighters but the girlfriend doesn't like him. She is very sweet, but there is some (mild) social dysfunction going on and the young man at his half-brother's urging agrees to break off their relationship. Unfortunately she dies in an accident before he can tell her the bad news. She is buried, but unfortunately he promised before a bobble-head Satan doll while she was still alive that he would be with her "forever" and so the girl dug herself out of the grave to make him keep his promise on the forever part.

The mystery is how can one make an entertaining movie out of a plot like that? I think they succeeded, but apparently I'm in the minority.

On the road, but not! Danik 2016's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, Yes/No. After watching the trailer I side with your daughter and the rest of the crowd. This ex looks like a milder version of Carrie.
    But there seems to be a kind of dark humour in it. Maybe that´s what you liked about it.
    Last edited by Danik 2016; 05-21-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    "I seemed to have sensed also from an early age that some of my experiences as a reader would change me more as a person than would many an event in the world where I sat and read. "
    Gerald Murnane, Tamarisk Row