Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 427 of 478 FirstFirst ... 327377417422423424425426427428429430431432437477 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,405 of 7159

Thread: What is the last movie you saw? and rate it.

Blog Entries
    I tried to rent Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas from Lovefilm and I'm on a waiting list for it as they either have fewer copies or it is very popular. I wonder why that might be?

I may buy it from Amazon.

If you get a chance, watch Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson and Demi Moore in A Few Good Men. A military court martial very well presented and very meaningful.

I watched The Rescuers with my nieces last week and enjoyed it. 7/10

The Ghost of Laszlo Jamf islandclimber's Avatar
    I revisited Gábor Bódy's four and a half hour masterpiece Nárcisz és Psyché last night. A masterpiece of iconoclastic poetry on screen based on the poetic musings of Sandor Weore. The film is a 120 year (nineteenth century to early 20th century) long meditation on the antagonistic nature of love in European culture, following ageless characters through several generations of history. They question the possibility of even possibility it seems. The episodes at times seem quite disjointed, and some might find this film to be cinematically illiterate, as divergent storylines are preferred tied up by most, but I think this brings a greater literacy to the film, a better coherence, a more honest reality. It attaches a film that shades itself into the realm of myth to life, where not every story we encounter presents us with a neatly gift-wrapped ending, we don't always receive closure. And that is one of the points this film makes as it weaves its way through Hungarian history. A fantastical vision with surprisingly beautiful and sometimes quite disturbing images, the cinematography is splendid and perhaps somewhat akin to certain works of Wojciech Jerzy Has (The Hourglass Sanatorium and The Saratoga Manuscript)... Györgi Cserhalmi is brilliant in this film, as is always the case with him.

9.5/10

All are at the crossroads qimissung's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. Saw "Twelve Years a Slave," and "Gravity," but it feels like I just watched an episode of the Simpson's Halloween show compared with the above review.

Anywho, they were both excellent, but "Twelve Years" wins by a hair. 10/10

Gravity 9/10
    "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its' own reason for existing." ~ Albert Einstein
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai
    "Some people say I done alright for a girl." Melanie Safka

Blog Entries
    When I'm in the library I pick up whatever new movies make it to the shelves. The last two were both about the rapture. I guess Hollywood has finally had its fill of zombie, vampire and Hansel and Gretal movies. These were both light, perhaps stupid, comedies, but after a day of work that's all I needed. I was amazed to see Craig Robinson in both of them.

Rapture-Palooza (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1879032/?ref_=nv_sr_1 I enjoyed Anna Kendrick's cool dialog while hot rocks were falling from the sky and how she handled the beast (Robinson). Score 7/10

This is the End (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/ The scene where James Franco was getting sort of beamed up to heaven was predictable, but amusing. Score 8/10 because the ending was more upbeat.

Blog Entries
    I saw Shame and I enjoyed it a lot, as much joy as you can get from a movie like that. It was very interesting and I think I will watch it again sooner rather than later, it could have been a bit deeper, I would have liked to see more of the siblings back story. 7/10
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    I just finished seeing The Way, Way Back: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727388/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Score: 10/10

It starts in a car ride and ends in a car ride and in between everything changes for 14-year-old Duncan (Liam James).

Quote Originally Posted by YesNo View Post
    This is the End (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245492/ The scene where James Franco was getting sort of beamed up to heaven was predictable, but amusing. Score 8/10 because the ending was more upbeat.
    I saw This is the End and some of the scenes were quite funny.

Also watched The Three Musketeers, it was good and I enjoyed it. 7/10

Enemy of the State

This 1998 effort is the kind of film that gives conspiracy theories a bad name. The film has enough car crashes, explosions and gunfire to satisfy the most juvenile mentality while purporting to be about a rogue NSA officer's attempt to recover a tape of his henchmen murdering a non-compliant senator of a bill for massive surveillance powers to be granted America's security agency. I kept expecting Bruce Willis to show up but his shenanigans were taken over by Will Smith as a lawyer who is surreptitiously passed the tape by an old college friend before the man is killed trying to escape the henchmen. Using unbelievable surveillance techniques, including a satellite and helicopter to track down the lawyer, the film ends with a ludicrous shootout reminiscent of the battle of Stalingrad in which the villain of the piece gets his comeuppance. There is a good film to be made of the misuse of power by the security forces of the USA, but this isn't it. 2/10
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

A Study in Terror (1965)

This is another of those 'Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper' films set in an imaginary fog-bound Victorian Whitechapel.
    John Neville plays Holmes and Donald Houston, Watson in the way that countless others have before them.
    Even by 1965 the theme had been overplayed and nothing new was added to this production. It just about holds one's interest so it gets 4/10

http://youtu.be/dgMXQOnW0VE
    "L'art de la statistique est de tirer des conclusions erronèes a partir de chiffres exacts." Napoléon Bonaparte.

"Je crois que beaucoup de gens sont dans cet état d’esprit: au fond, ils ne sentent pas concernés par l’Histoire. Mais pourtant, de temps à autre, l’Histoire pose sa main sur eux." Michel Houellebecq.

I watched Conjuring with friends – another horror film. It has the same old story; a family moves to a haunted house and strange things start to happen. This time victim is poor mum with 5 kids. To me she already seemed possessed by some evil spirit, honestly! The funniest part is when Patrick Wilson performs exorcism and in the process she bites one of his helpers. I was expecting the bitten man to become a zombie in less than 10 seconds but unfortunately that didn’t happen. The film has a happy ending though. 5/10

Needless to say we enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowqueen View Post
    I watched Conjuring with friends – another horror film. It has the same old story; a family moves to a haunted house and strange things start to happen. This time victim is poor mum with 5 kids. To me she already seemed possessed by some evil spirit, honestly! The funniest part is when Patrick Wilson performs exorcism and in the process she bites one of his helpers. I was expecting the bitten man to become a zombie in less than 10 seconds but unfortunately that didn’t happen. The film has a happy ending though. 5/10

I am definitely going to watch this movie Snowqueen. lol !
    I saw an animated movie named Turbo and enjoyed watching it. 7/10

Blog Entries
    The greatest movie ever sold- advertising in movies are interesting and everything that goes with it but it wasn't the greatest documentary on advertising,not that I've seen many.
    I hope death is joyful, and I hope I'll never return -Frida Khalo

If I seem insensitive to what you are going through, understand it's the way I am- Mr. Spock

Personally, I think that the unique and supreme delight lies in the certainty of doing 'evil'–and men and women know from birth that all pleasure lies in evil. - Baudelaire

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowqueen View Post

I was planning on watching this one with my wife until my daughter told us that she heard it was the most terrifying movie ever made. Since I spent the $1 to rent it I figured I had to view it although I don't like seeing doors slamming on their own or expecting a monster to pop out of nowhere. Initially, I kept giving them updates like, "Even their dog won't go into that house."

What I liked about the movie was that it was based on true events and from searching it didn't look like it strayed too far from the truth. However, the Annabelle doll looked more wicked in the movie than in real life. There was a documentary short with the movie about the Warrens that describes the events without building up the terror.

What I didn't like about the movie was the fear of the unknown that seemed to be an underlying message or that one needs a Catholic exorcism to resolve these experiences. That being said, if I were ever possessed, I would not object to an exorcism (except the possessed part of me probably would). Whatever happened to Casper the friendly ghost? But this wasn't a ghost. It was a demon. Whatever happened to angels?

Since the movie got us thinking, and was creepy, I would have to give it a score of 10/10.
    Last edited by YesNo; 11-15-2013 at 10:23 AM.